Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I thought I decided on a TT, Now studying Class C

stevec22
Explorer
Explorer
I have spent the last two months learning about TT's,

I recently started looking at class C MH's. If you have advise, advantages, suggestions I would love to hear them.

Limits and considerations.

Used 32-36', budget of $25k or so, probably looking at a 2000 or 2005 years.

I see mostly Ford 450 chassis with a V-10 motor, gas.

Are these motors good 200k miles? Should I stay under 50k if possible? up to 100k?

Is it better to look at older models, but better manufacturers? Say a 98 vs 2005 same price range?

Any thoughts to help decide between TT vs Class C?
1998 Foretravel U320

2005 GMC Yukon 5.2L 3.42
44 REPLIES 44

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Also don't forget your weight distribution hitching system and really important your SWAY CONTROL system. Don't just go with a single arm system, you don't want the tail shacking the dog.

Good luck and be safe out there.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

stevec22
Explorer
Explorer
AS an Update. We went with a TT for now. We pick it up tomorrow. I am buying a KZ 241RKS. It should pull fairly easy behind my Yukon, since the DW is 4500 pounds. Max axle is 6000 pounds so I am ok there. I will need to make sure to balance the TT to keep the tongue weight correct.

Thanks for all the comments.
1998 Foretravel U320

2005 GMC Yukon 5.2L 3.42

fireflock
Explorer
Explorer
We're a Class C family, and that style works very well for us. It's fantastic if you move around a lot (we do), but you do need to pay attention to the warnings on construction (leaks) and weight. Unfortunately, there are many Class C's that are at or above weight limits empty.

All that said, if I was in your shoes I would look for a solid used travel trailer. Since you already have a Tow Vehicle, you can get into the trailer for a lower price and use it for a year while deciding what you really want and need. I bet you perspective will be different.

After a year, you can probably resell the trailer for almost what you have into it and then move on with substantially more knowledge and experience.

1donald
Explorer
Explorer
stevec22 wrote:
JAXFL. The convenience of a MH while traveling is what made me stop and think about them.

I have also been looking at Craigslist and they keep popping up.

We have a 2013 Leisure Travel Van (LTV) Unity TB. We camp on occasion with our kids & grandkids & they have a 35' Camper. We pull into our spot & ten minutes or less we're all situated & then I watch my Son-in-Law pull his Camper in & start the task of unhooking, leveling, & so on & maybe 30 to 45 minutes later he is finally all set up. I go the Motorhome in a nano second.
Don & Jean
2013 LTV Unity TB (Diesel Generator)(Stabilizer Jacks)(Macerator)(Side Turn Camera)(Entertainment Pkg)
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW my 2014 Minnie Winnie 31h has 2903 pounds of OCCC on it. I didn't get the premier package b/c all that extra glamour comes with a weight penalty - I just wanted to be able to load my coach and go w/o worrying a great deal about what I was bringing. Close to 3k pounds of OCCC is pretty darn good for a 32.5' motorhome.

I only wish Winnebago didn't put the fresh water tanks RIGHT behind the rear bumper. Carrying any water at all really unloads the front axle. I found it drove a lot better when empty as opposed to 1/3 full like I was doing. I guess every design has its compromises.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007, 26' Lazy Daze (no slides with this manufacturer). We purchased the RV used. High on the list of things we liked was the OCCC and the shortish length.

Eventually I may put a tow kit on the MINI Cooper (2006, 5spd) but when considering the cost vs convenience, so far it has been worth it to rent the few times I have need a car.

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a 26' tt we pull with a 1/2 ton toyota tacoma which is also our day to day transportation. Very quiet truck but the combination is 41 feet and can be sometimes difficult to navigate gas stations and backing up. We are going to buy a Four Winds 22e class c which is only 24 feet , no toad, but the ford 350 engine is noisy and there is a step up inside the mh. MH also costs more than the tt. But having the bathroom handy will be an advantage.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If you do buy class C, try using it without a toad for a while before deciding to add towing equipment.

stevec22
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to thank every one again.

Snowman. good point on keeping the trailer light. I know that I am at the limit on weight to pull without a lot of issues. I am comfortable loading the trailer to keep the weight properly distributed. After the trip out west, we will be doing mostly week long trips within a few hundred miles of home. The Ozark Mountains offer a lot of options close to home.

j-d. Very good information in your post. I need to save that for future reference

Ron.dittmer I hope you have that saved some where so you can just paste it when us newbies asks these questions. Very informative.

Just as an FYI, my Yukon has the "feature" that allows me to disengage the transmission, putting it into neutral, It has full time 4x4 and a low 4x4. I think this would allow it to be a toad, although it probably needs a big class A to haul it.

I have listened to the advise. I will say with the TT for now, if we decide to spend a lot of time RVing, I will look at a 3-5 year old MH if we decide to move that direction and I will increase the budget appropriately
1998 Foretravel U320

2005 GMC Yukon 5.2L 3.42

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
stevec22 wrote:
littlemo wrote:
We love our Sunseeker 2450 (which is really 26 ft long). We have been to Florida twice now with no toad and have managed well. We now have all the tow equipment and will be towing from now on. This will be better because someplace like Yellowstone you need to be able to park the RV and drive your toad to tour the park. I like the ability to just pull up and have a picnic without having to get out of truck and go back to enter trailer. I also like being able to get up and go to the bathroom without stopping too!;).

Just keep looking at both and spend time in each while thinking about how you like to travel and to what type areas. We like State Parks and Nation Forests, etc so we bought a shorter class c. Hope you find what you want!

I hope someone else is driving when you go to the back without stopping....;)

Nope! Just put in on remote. (Can only do this in West Texas)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
pmallonee wrote:
j-d. I have a 1999 (98 chassis) with the tow option on my shift lever. Was this an option on the 4R100 tranny.

PS sorry for bogart Ing the thread?

I'm not j-d, but my class C is on a 98 chassis.

I think if you look you'll find that the button isn't a tow/haul mode button, but rather an overdrive off button, and so labeled. It does exactly what it says, locking out the top (overdrive) gear. Tow/haul on the newer 5-speeds is a good bit more sophisticated, altering the shift logic in various ways, and in fact does not lock out overdrive.

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
stevec22 wrote:
littlemo wrote:
We love our Sunseeker 2450 (which is really 26 ft long). We have been to Florida twice now with no toad and have managed well. We now have all the tow equipment and will be towing from now on. This will be better because someplace like Yellowstone you need to be able to park the RV and drive your toad to tour the park. I like the ability to just pull up and have a picnic without having to get out of truck and go back to enter trailer. I also like being able to get up and go to the bathroom without stopping too!;).

Just keep looking at both and spend time in each while thinking about how you like to travel and to what type areas. We like State Parks and Nation Forests, etc so we bought a shorter class c. Hope you find what you want!

He only does that a the freeway... That is what cruise is for..right
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

stevec22
Explorer
Explorer
littlemo wrote:

1998 Foretravel U320

2005 GMC Yukon 5.2L 3.42

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
j-d. I have a 1999 (98 chassis) with the tow option on my shift lever. Was this an option on the 4R100 tranny.

PS sorry for bogart Ing the thread?
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L