cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the market !!

campkodiak23
Explorer
Explorer
Hello ~ In the market for a Class C... coming from a 19foot Sunline TT . We have fallen in love with the Tiffin Class C.... $$ It would be a stretch... but a possibility. That being said .. what others should we consider. If you could mention pros/cons also, with other brands. 1. Would prefer door to open ALL the way not stop because of awning. 2. Walk around beds 3. Don't need (prefer not ) to have all that space up top over driver- think it would be a catch all 4. Gas vs diesel? who knows 5. Companies / units to stay away from and why.... 6. Sunline built their campers solid, need to find comparable .... any and all thoughts welcome! BRING ON SPRING .... thank you in advance.
Sarah
2018 Coachman Concord 300DS
2017 Ford F150
1 hubby & me
22 REPLIES 22

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
We have recently purchased a Winnebago Itasca Impulse Silver 26QP. I really wanted to stay away from all the folding beds. Wanted a bed that is a real mattress, not something that could fold in half so the slide could come in. We wanted a rig that is perfectly usable with the slide in tight, and loaded with features like double pane windows, heated tanks, inline water filter, swivel front seats, and luxury thick mattresses. Also pull down blinds, back up camera, and particularly the solid front cap, fiberglass roof and walls, and a counter space to actually cook on. This 26QP has had rave reviews since it first came out, and we are really happy with it.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, the Ford engine/chassis is the best for Service and Power.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

ADUS
Explorer
Explorer
Our Nexus 27V is a solid winner with us. Ford V-10 is the only one I personally will consider.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp wrote:
We opted for the Pheonix Cruiser. Don't like the cab over either. They offer the Ford gas V10 which I prefer. We got the 2100 which offers a sofa which opens to the bed and open on three sides. No climbing over or crab crawling to get into or out of bed.
The 2100 is the smallest they offer and the best for our wants and needs. But they are worth a look into in my opinion.

Double ditto.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
campkodiak23 wrote:
Hi Mike thanks for all that info! Congrats on the Navion ! sounds like the length we want. What is OCCC ? Opinions are valuable in my "opinion" ! Will check it out ... I think we did look at one today at a camping show in Boston. When you say you tried the slightly larger version of the ford chassis... what do you mean ..test drive ??

Thanks. Our Navion is the low profile version. We didn't want the cab over bunk, and it reduces the coach weight by 120 lbs according to Winnebago engineering. We also opted for tankless water heater, aluminum wheels, to reduce our UVW (unladen vehicle weight).

OCCC = Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity. The MB Sprinter chassis is often upfitted almost to the GVWR set by MB of 11,030 lbs max, so there's not much "OCCC" left before you exceed that maximum gross vehicle weight rating. I think the current Winnebago View/Navion models have a range of between 1,200 and 1,500 lbs of available OCCC, depending on the model. In simple terms, it's the maximum amount of weight, including people and personal "stuff", as well as water, propane, that can be added to your total without exceeding the GVWR, and being unsafe. It's not really a lot once you start adding things up, but it's doable.
Here's a link to a better explanation than mine of what CCC was, and what OCCC is defined as now.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,26115.0.html

We used to have a class B Roadtrek, and then tried a class A Sunstar 26HE for a year, and that's when we realized the 6.8L V10 Ford chassis wasn't the best choice for us.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We opted for the Pheonix Cruiser. Don't like the cab over either. They offer the Ford gas V10 which I prefer. We got the 2100 which offers a sofa which opens to the bed and open on three sides. No climbing over or crab crawling to get into or out of bed.
The 2100 is the smallest they offer and the best for our wants and needs. But they are worth a look into in my opinion.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

campkodiak23
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Mike thanks for all that info! Congrats on the Navion ! sounds like the length we want. What is OCCC ? Opinions are valuable in my "opinion" ! Will check it out ... I think we did look at one today at a camping show in Boston. When you say you tried the slightly larger version of the ford chassis... what do you mean ..test drive ??
2018 Coachman Concord 300DS
2017 Ford F150
1 hubby & me

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago has many options. They've been around forever, and have the experience building everything, and are at or ahead of the curve when it comes to standard equipment. They also know how to build them lighter on the MB Sprinter cutaway cab chassis, so that the chassis isn't as overloaded as those of some other upfitters.
I've committed to a 2018 Navion 24V. Not as much OCCC as a similar unit built on a Ford E350/E450 chassis, but I've tried the slightly larger version of the Ford chassis, and more particularly the 6.8L V10 engine and drive train, and it wasn't for us. More raw torque and power, but less fuel economy than the MB 3.0L V6 diesel, and noisy, and the doghouse was a pita.
Try their website and have a look. They post the MSRP for what they sell on their website, but you might be able to find significant discounts, depending on what you want, and where you go to buy it.
All just my opinions based on some experience.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)