cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Induction Cooktops

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read glowing reports regarding installing an induction cook tops as a replacement for the propane units but I have no personal experience with them.

Glowing reports aside I would be very interested in hearing about the drawbacks to the replacement. Also, if one were to undertake such a project what are the best brands available.

Thanks for any input.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad
19 REPLIES 19

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replies. At the moment I have no intention of buying an additional thing to cook with so it will either be replace the cook top or do without. Outside of the cookware are there any issues with the actually cooking, simmering, frying bacon or ???
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We use our portable outside to reduce heat inside when we are in hot climates like the coast of Southern Mexico. The only caveat is your cookware; It MUST be iron or ferromagnetic, ie react to magnets.

Aluminum will NOT work. Copper will not work. Some stainless steel will not work. If a magnet will not stick to your cookware it won't work. We also have a very small sauce pan which will not work, I think it may be too small. I would suggest getting a portable and trying it out.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Nu-Wave portable induction unit and it does a great job. It works well on the counter top.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I havent seen any direct replacement induction cook tops to replace the standard RV cook top/oven.

I have a portable induction burner which I love and use for long recipes and outside. I dont think I would replace my gas unit unless it enabled me to lose propane entirely, which it doesnt as I still use it for the fridge and heat.

Propane cooking is fine; change heat levels fast, etc. Plus on 30A sites now you have a problem.

Replacing an electric cook top is a whole different conversation. I would not hesitate to do that. I dislike electric cooktops.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use a portable induction cook top. When not in use, it stores inside the microwave. Since we got the induction cook top we very seldom have to use the propane cook top for anything. The portable units can be bought for less than $100 so I saw no reason to remove the propane cook top.