cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing a taller door in my Class A Fleetwood Flair

North-Man
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 1993 22' Fleetwood Flair and the motorhome does not have the factory door. I would like to to install a door with the radius corners but will need to go about 4 inches taller and my question is; If I cut into the header above the door does anyone know if that will have a negative impact on the structural integrity? Additionally, has anyone done this before?
8 REPLIES 8

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
While you probably wouldn't want to put in a new header by welding, an aluminum or steel header could easily be pop riveted in with those hardened rivets they make.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

North-Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks WildManBaker...I think I'll take your advise. I measured my entry door opening and it is 26" x 76", I think I will just buy a square door assembly to fit the opening. I do appreciate all of the help and will get some pictures of my new project posted this weekend.

Thanks again everyone!

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
North-Man; Welcome to the forum. I have a 04 Flair, and it has aluminum frame work. The door measures 80.5" from the bottom of the threshold, to the top outside of the door frame (where the header is, not the top of the frame). I would be very unwilling to cut out a header and try to re-weld an new one in. The side walls are isolated with foam, a fire hazard. Measure your door opening before you get carried away on mods.
Wildmanbaker

North-Man
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are a great help and as I can see will be a valuable asset as I get this motorhome back in shape. As I originally posted, I think the original owner left the door open, it was damaged, and replaced with a door that is not an exact replacement (I will post some pics this weekend). I think the door he put on was the original width/height, but in order for me to install a door with the radius corners I will have to cut above the original opening approximately 4 inches in order to not have holes that would need to be patched...thus my questions.

The structural image was a big help and makes me feel better about cutting above the door only and modifying the top.

I will take pictures and keep you guys posted on my progress...many thanks and Happy Fourth of July coming up!

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
Most RVs don't have a header per se, but a door frame. This is usually made out of aluminum. You should be able to fabricate a new door frame.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

crankshop1000
Explorer
Explorer
Early Flairs have a steel grid frame in the walls and around the door.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Take a stud finder and see if you can figure out what is above the door. RV walls are not like stick house walls, so the door frame may not be load bearing - in any direction. From the way I have seen Holiday Rambler constructed, the frames did not have any relation to the window and door locations. That could easily be more so with laminated construction as was done by Fleetwood at that time. I have to think as long as you are away from the roof radius, there should still be another structural piece at the start of the radius where the wall meets the roof.
IRV2

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't have the factory door? Interesting...can you post a picture or two?

Don't know about your exact problem as I've never torn an RV door out, but if you are close to a RV graveyard maybe go take a look at a damaged one. I would guess that the header supports or indicators are still in the frame and you'd need to put a new header over it. Or it's still up there and they just added a 2nd header for the smaller door when it was installed.

What the heck, just tear into it and take pictures so we can follow along. Easy for me to say since it's not mine.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.