cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter and battery charging

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Can I use the inverter while in motion and will the engine charge and keep the battery from draining? (I need to have an operational TV on the move for passengers in the rear). My TV is not a 12 volt set-up.

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I tried what you are thinking when I owned a travel trailer. The battery died after a few hours. I did it mainly to conserve propane.

A motorhome is a different thing. The engine should do a much better job of keeping the battery charged because the wiring from the engine to the battery is much better. I never did bother trying it in the MH. Much easier to fill the propane tank.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Gene_M
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Sam, I may rethink things, not sure right now because I was looking for experiences of folks that may have tried what I'm looking to do and what I'm finding out is there aren't many, if any at all.

I appreciate your input.

Also, Thanks YosemiteBobr

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Gene_M wrote:
That's fine, but do you have any thoughts on my initial question here:

Yes. My model doesn't seem to work as good on electric.

And you are going to get involved in a fairly expensive and complicated "fix" for something that doesn't need to BE fixed.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
If your refregerator draws .5 amps and you have 100ah battery your good to about 20 hours, not counting draws from the inverter itself, and whatever else you have plugged to it. I don't know what your TV draws or anything else you will be using it for. 1000w is not a lot, as a matter of fact 70ah is pretty small.
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite
My DW the co-pilot/navigator (the boss):)

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Gene_M
Explorer
Explorer
That's fine, but do you have any thoughts on my initial question here:
Gene_M wrote:
I'm interested in installing an inverter to power my refrigerator while driving.
I have 1 deep cycle battery installed, so I know I don't have large capacity, about 70ah expected from the battery.

With a 130a alternator would there be enough juice to keep the house battery charged while running the inverter?
Thinking about a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter to power other small things as well when at the campsite or for an overnight with no hookup.

Thanks in advance

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Gene_M wrote:
We're just not sure about it.

Well being careful is one thing; being paranoid is another.

In places like tunnels where propane is PROHIBITED, that means NOT ALLOWED AT ALL. You are no less illegal if your full tank is turned off.

The amount of gas actually used is very small.
If there is a significant leak that develops, would you rather have it happen in a 60 MPH wind to carry it away.......or while everyone is asleep inside ???

I will continue to operate mine while going down the road without the tiniest little qualm.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Gene_M
Explorer
Explorer
I understand what you say, up to now we have traveled with it on but recently questioned it.

Then we read a few articles that exacerbated our feelings so I guess now we're a bit apprehensive about traveling on interstates and through tunnels with the propane on. We're just not sure about it.

And a few professional reasons:
As an engineer I understand that all systems, no matter the design,
can fail, and as Murphy's law dictates - at the most inopportune time.
As an EE I feel more comfortable with electricity than fire.
And a backup system is not a bad idea anyway.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Gene_M wrote:
It does have propane fridge, I would like to travel with the propane off.

I think there is no good reason to do that.

Tens of thousands....maybe millions.....of RVs are running around every day with their propane fridges running all the time and I haven't heard of a problem. (Which, of course, doesn't mean that there aren't any.)

What's your reasoning ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Gene_M
Explorer
Explorer
It does have propane fridge, I would like to travel with the propane off.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Gene_M wrote:
but have a Class C.
I'm interested in installing an inverter to power my refrigerator while driving.

Does it NOT have a propane fridge ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:

What are the exceptions???

Probably none......IF previous owners haven't messed with the wiring OR if something like a battery solenoid hasn't failed.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Gene_M
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,

I just found this thread, I was over on the Class A side but have a Class C.
I have 1 deep cycle battery installed, so I know I don't have large capacity, about 70ah expected from the battery.

With a 130a alternator would there be enough juice to keep the house battery charged while running the inverter?
Thinking about a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter to power other small things as well when at the campsite or for an overnight with no hookup.

Thanks in advance

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
YOu need to test the voltage at the battery while the engine is running to see if it is charging or not. Some do and some don't. If you gave your make and model someone probably knows if it should or not.

Would question that ANY motorhome built in the last two decades did not charge both house and chassis battery banks from the alternator with engine running.

What are the exceptions???
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
You could also just run the generator. They are made to be run. Not being run/exercised often enough, causes problems.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect