cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inverter & Electrical Question

plattpd60
Explorer
Explorer
I usually leave my motorhome plugged into electrical power all winter while it is in storage next to my home. I was told by someone that leaving the power on all the time could damage the inverter does anyone have any information regarding this I do like to leave it plugged in so the batteries stay charged.
8 REPLIES 8

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
plattpd60 wrote:
how do I find out if it's inverter or converter thanks
Tell us the brand name. You're more likely to damage your batteries than your in-con-verter.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

plattpd60
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info actually I'm not sure if it is an inverter or converter I just assumed it was an inverter I have a 2013 Thor daybreak motorhome how do I find out if it's inverter or converter thanks

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
plattpd60 wrote:
I usually leave my motorhome plugged into electrical power all winter while it is in storage next to my home. I was told by someone that leaving the power on all the time could damage the inverter does anyone have any information regarding this I do like to leave it plugged in so the batteries stay charged.

2.1 answers,,, First the .1 NO

now the two
Most modern motor homes no damage the Batteries will be monitored by the converter and maintained but sure to add water if needed in the fall (Then equalize if you do not have a converter that does it automatically) and again if needed on Mother's day (Well that's the day I choose)

And by the way this applies to both converters and inverters.

Now some OLDER units..... This might not apply.. but on anything made this century or to be more precise any MOTOR HOME made this century I suspect leaving it plugged in 24/7 is not going to harm.

Took me 12.5 years to kill my converter only about 11 to kill the inverter however (I have one of each normally use the Converter to charge because I like the Charge Wizard's program better than my Xantrex can do)

And it only took me a few minutes (not counting around half an hour driving) to replace the converter when it died (The factory where they make 'em in Marshall Mi (progressive Dynamics) is like 20 yards off an optional beaten path but I parked about 15 miles south)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leaving your RV plugged in 24/7 is the easy way to keep your batteries charged but it’s not the safest way and if your converter is a cheapo not the best way.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Leaving it plugged in 24/7 will not damage a Converter or an Inverter/Charger. What DOES damage them is a power surge/spike. Which can happen on ANY 120 power supply. Which, if NOT in the unit can happen and when you find it you have no clue as to when the power problem happened. I had a customer years ago leave their Newmar Diesel in a CG for 3 hours to sight see and when they got back, they found the Inverter/Charger, TV's/ Microwave all burnt out. They were extremely mad at Newmar, until a fellow RV'er came up and told them that a Lightning bolt had struck a light pole within 15 foot of their RV while they were gone. Doug

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Do you really mean inverter, or converter?

Or even an inverter/charger!

Leaving it plugged in 24/7/365 is fine, as long as it is properly programmed (again ASSUMING it is a programmable inverter/charger).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you really mean inverter, or converter?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I leave ours plugged in all the time and have never damaged an inverter on any RV we have owned. I suppose if you were to get a high voltage spike without an AC line protector or a lightning strike you could damage it but just being plugged in I think not.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie