cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it common..even when the heater is working

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
to be cold? we drove home with coats, hats and gloves today.

My nose was cold. I covered up with a blanket at one point.

?

I guess I could say what we drove ๐Ÿ˜ฎ 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor....37 foot a lot to heat, evidently.
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel
26 REPLIES 26

dadd
Explorer
Explorer
Check your flex tubing in the heater lines....had the same problem and when I checked under the front cap hood I found one flex line disconnected allowing outside air to come through the heater vent.....reconnected (and clamped) the flexline...made a big difference

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
The big air leak in ours was the whole heater/AC unit--three of the four sheet metal screws that were to hold it in place weren't. Not just weren't holding it in place, they weren't even there! The tech was able to lift the whole thing several inches. A gaping hole through the firewall. Much better now it's riveted into place.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I took mine out in cold weather last weekend and was cold while on the interstate but noticed that I was much more comfortable when I got onto back roads with lower speeds. This definately points to air infiltration and my prime suspect is one of the slides. If you notice any patterns like that it will help diagnose the problem.

I have seen double layer covers advertised for Fantastic vents. I suspect that putting those and external vent covers on will help keep the heat in. If anyone has feedback on the double layer covers I would love to hear it.

Don't forget that RV fridges vent the compartment they are in to the outside. Be sure to check the walls for insulation and for drafts around the front.

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
We've done both heat and air in our 2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V. When it's just momma and I we rig a blanket behind us to keep the hot or cold air just in the cab area. However when we have the grandkids, we run the generator while were driving and run either the air conditioners or the heater for the coach. Seems to work just fine.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Wait till you have some wind. Run the furnace. Go around with a can of great stuff and start sealing up anywhere you have cold air blowing in. I would expect you to use up 2 cans.

As far as heat from the engine, as long as your gauges say it is up to temperature, you should have pretty hot air coming out of the heater. May not be enough to heat the coach, but it should keep the front warm. I guess that is one advantage to a gasser is the engines run warmer and can put out more heat. We camp in single digits, but the engine heat will take care of the whole coach when driving.
IRV2

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Run the furnaces. Ours needs regulating though. It will get it steaming hot then shut down due to where the register is behind passenger seat.
We run the rear furnace a few degrees warmer and that keeps the front from coming on as often. that and the dash heat and we are reasonably comfortable. If it is not too cold run the generator and the heat pumps.

RCtime
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Sowego, I bet you have some air leaks going on, especially if you have a drivers door.
I had some serious issues with air leaks and solved them by getting a drop cord trouble light and going around under the dash and floorboard area and observing, when the hood is open and underneath where the light shines through. This takes two people. you will be surprised. mark the areas and get expanding foam and seal it., then spray it black
If you have a drivers door you may have to redo the rubber seal or double it up.
Your dash air and heater will not heat or cool your whole coach but should keep you comfy up front if you keep out cold air intrusion if its functioning properly.
Ron
2002 34HD Winnebago Journey DL, Cat. 330/freightliner
2013 Honda CRV - Garmin 1490t
Great wife & Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, RIP
TT/N

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure the AC wasn't on instead of heat?? We have no problem staying comfortable at 40 temps.

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
My monico was great when parked, but rolling down the road in the winter, those two massive pieces of glass making up the front windshield raidated cold air. The dash heat worked well to keep my toes warm and that area comfortable down to about 40F, below that if I do not have the furnace set to 65-68 I cannot stay warm either.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

sofar-sogood
Explorer
Explorer
Heat? Still running the A/C in Fla.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
RV pillow vent covers in ALL your roof vents. Found at all RV stores.
The vents are not sealed and they are plastic and all the heat goes right out thru them. Just putting a pillow vent cover in them will make a BIG difference.

In real cold weather I cover all the coach windows with van sized windshield sun shades. Walmart carries them. They will fit right under the day night shades without having to put velcro on any part of your coach.

Just doing these 2 simple things will increase the temps inside by 20 degrees. And for me that is WITHOUT the coach heat on, only the dash heat.

RV vent pillows with silver on one side that also keeps the heat out during the summer months. Fits snuggly inside rv vent with 'out' having to put any tapes on your coach.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
When you are driving...that's when you find out where the air leaks are, areas that aren't as insulated as we'd all like and the limits of dash heat versus propane furnaces.

Your dash heat should make a big difference but if you don't feel warm enough, I agree check it out for problems. But it's more than heat out put...

The area around entry doors are notorious for air leaks, front caps usually don't have insulation behind cabinetry and windows will feel colder and maybe you'll even feel air leaks from the window track weep holes. Also check all around slide-outs, especially at the floor, around pipes, power outlets, etc.

We traveled one year in December and January in the west and northwest in temps as low as zero. So, we used our mirror heaters for the 1st time and ran both suburban furnaces the whole time along with the dash heat. At one point, you betchya I wore my insulated coveralls and winter boots indoors sitting by the entry door.

After your 1st cold drive make adjustments to create a comfortable environment...put on warmer clothes, and yes, turn on those propane furnaces. Not only will you be more comfortable but the pipes and plumbing in the utility bay will have a better chance of staying thawed!
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
Something is wrong. We travel the north in the winter months. The dash heat and motor-aid keep it nice and warm. No jackets in transit for us!

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the heater core might be plugged up not enough flow! Was hot air coming out of the vents? or just warm? check with a thermometer and see what ya get should be well over 100f
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon