cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this actually possible??

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a small Class A, but know little or nothing about the bigger bus styles and equipment. I just saw a article about thieves sucking sewage out of a big RV instead of fuel as they expected. Is that even possible?? Is there any type of opening into the black tanks that could be accessed with a siphon hose?? On ours the only access would be through to vent line on top.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

14 REPLIES 14

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard of some pretty credible stories of people walking their dog being robbed of their poop bag.

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago in the Charleston AF Base newspaper, there was a picture of a large hose connected to the waste drain on a C-141. The caption read (not an exact quote -- too many years!) "### Aerial Port Squadron members refueling a C-141 preparing for a mission to #####." We always wondered why the reporter/photographer didn't think it strange that the "refueling" truck wasn't yellow, and didn't say JP-4 on the side.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dreaded-unleaded/
I love Snopes.com. Thanks

grampachet
Explorer
Explorer
You can’t siphon chunks! But it makes a guy chuckle.
2004 F-250 KIngRanch,CC,SB,SRW,4x4,V-10,3.73
2008 Montana 3000RK

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard of thieves punching a hole in the fuel tank and using a couple
of buckets .
That might be a way they could possibly puncture the wrong tank on some rigs .

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dreaded-unleaded/

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've read this scenario numerous times over the years. If you think about it, the holding tanks and slide valves are down low near the bottom of a coach. No need to "siphon" just pull the slide valve and have a funnel handy to direct the flow wherever you want it. Fuel fill inlets are usually up much higher on the side or rear of a coach. I say urban legend!
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sure it's possible if you are stupid....
I say, Welcome to it."......:S
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe the water tank fill with the locking door and plastic cap but not the waste tanks.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only if you hooked the siphon hose to the waste valve. Even then waste is discharged via gravity so no, it's a myth that makes for a funny story. It won't work with a Y connector as in the movie RV either....but it makes everyone smile....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Johno02 wrote:
I drive a small Class A, but know little or nothing about the bigger bus styles and equipment. I just saw a article about thieves sucking sewage out of a big RV instead of fuel as they expected.

No at least not on any RV I have ever seen. You have the following openings into the black tank.
Vent pipe (up on roof no thief is gonna think that's a fuel port) Toilet.. Dump valve (on bottom).. Now fresh water. That could be confused but never black .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Not on ours. It's locked in the wet bay. Can't imagine someone confusing it if possible.

But I'd love to watch that happen!! If it were thieves of course.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I've read this many times over the years on the forum. I too think it's just an urban legend. I cant imagine any access to the tanks that would be mistaken for a fuel fill.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've read this story a few times. I think it's just an urban legend.
I don't know of any opening you could use to siphon from the black or grey tank.
Maybe RV's from the 70's had some sort of access? I don't know what it's purpose would be.