cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Items you have "Discovered that you really use in the Coach.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Share with us a few items you have "Discovered that you really use in the Motor Coach.

1. Earthquake putty - Allows the DW to decorate the Coach - Lamps - Flower pots - all those things "she" needs to have in the Coach. In 15 years have never had an issue.

Putty

2. VELCRO - Industrial Strength - 2" Wide Tape - More for me to so the same things the DW does in the Coach - inside the storage bays - hold almost anything in place - stack boxes - hang keys - stop squeaks, yes I used it to stop a metal to fiberglass rub in my old Trop-i-Cal.

Velcro

3. Makita - Vacuum - Drill - Light - Impact gun - How did we ever live with out them.

Vacuum

During the winter slow down let's share.

Hoping this will post โ€“ for some reason the Forum, seems to only work about half the time anymore.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach
26 REPLIES 26

LongWeekends
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Bottle opener.
Corkscrew.
Stainless steel insulated beer mugs.
Stainless steel wine glasses.
:B

Clearly I need to park next to you guys!
Michael
Just me, my wife, our daughter and our two big, hairy Goldens.

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
edm3rd wrote:

Purchased a "Kill A Watt" 3-4 years ago. Tested on a lamp that had a 100 watt bulb. Device read 80 watts. Returned it the next day.

Question - did I give it a fair test? How would you determine it's accuracy for wattage?

For a load with a power factor of 1.0 (or nearly so) like an incandescent light bulb, you can independently measure the voltage and current with known (or presumed) accurate meters and multiply the two in order to get power. For devices with lower power factors, this simple approach doesn't work; you're only computing apparent power, not actual power.

The power of a resistive load varies with the square of the voltage, so if the voltage is a bit lower than the rated voltage of the bulb, you could easily get a rather different wattage. If we assume the resistance of the bulb is constant, a 100W 120V bulb would dissipate only about 84W at 110V. (The resistance is not perfectly constant, however; it varies depending on the temperature of the filament.)

That is my favorite thing that I have learned today!

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE - thanks maybe I was a little hasty in judging its accuracy.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
edm3rd wrote:

Purchased a "Kill A Watt" 3-4 years ago. Tested on a lamp that had a 100 watt bulb. Device read 80 watts. Returned it the next day.

Question - did I give it a fair test? How would you determine it's accuracy for wattage?

For a load with a power factor of 1.0 (or nearly so) like an incandescent light bulb, you can independently measure the voltage and current with known (or presumed) accurate meters and multiply the two in order to get power. For devices with lower power factors, this simple approach doesn't work; you're only computing apparent power, not actual power.

The power of a resistive load varies with the square of the voltage, so if the voltage is a bit lower than the rated voltage of the bulb, you could easily get a rather different wattage. If we assume the resistance of the bulb is constant, a 100W 120V bulb would dissipate only about 84W at 110V. (The resistance is not perfectly constant, however; it varies depending on the temperature of the filament.)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
edm3rd wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I have a "KILL A WATT" plugged in to one of our outlets at all times. This will not only tell you the voltage, but it will also tell you the frequency, which is important when on generator to see if you have 60 cycles).
If you plug any appliance in to it, it will tell you how many amps that appliance actually draws as well as the wattage.
These are available at many big box stores or online for less than $20 and since they are a digital readout, they are a little easier to use than a voltmeter for some. There are no leads to mess with. You just plug it in.

Was the bulb new or old? Incandescent and LED bulbs lose their brightness as they age and therefor draw less current as they age.

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I have a "KILL A WATT" plugged in to one of our outlets at all times. This will not only tell you the voltage, but it will also tell you the frequency, which is important when on generator to see if you have 60 cycles).
If you plug any appliance in to it, it will tell you how many amps that appliance actually draws as well as the wattage.
These are available at many big box stores or online for less than $20 and since they are a digital readout, they are a little easier to use than a voltmeter for some. There are no leads to mess with. You just plug it in.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
'White' Duct Tape.

Will get you stealthily home to fix it without looking like Duck Dynasty while on the road! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I never go anywhere without my very well stocked tool kit, also keep a good stock of hardware, PEX fittings, a pipe, clamps and a crimper, various glues, tapes and eternabond tape (just in case).
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
You mean they make SS Wine glasses. I break about 1 a week but am married to an Italian and we use the 6 oz straight glass for wine. Fishing pole, never go anywhere without it.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Good to know, great tip, thank you!:C

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
Complete set of tools to keep the repair men away. A nearby Walmart to keep the overeating restaurant away.

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
TPMS
2009 Challenger

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
My trusty plug in tester. Let's me know 'exactly' what is wrong and has Saved me from calling repair on numerous occasions.

My Robo grips. One tool works on everything from hose connections to small tiny nuts. I'd be lost without my Robo Grips! :C

And my very old grandfathered in 'unlimited' data plan USB mobile broadband. That USB plug travels in a velvet box so it doesn't get harmed!