cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jersey Shore to San Antonio to Tucson via Rt10.

appd221
Explorer
Explorer
Taking the wife and two young kids cross country in class A. We are going to a wedding in Tucson. To keep out of freezing weather Im taking a southern route along Route 10. We plan to stop over in San Antonio for a day or so, and visit Sea World. Then to Tucson. Does anyone have any suggestions rest areas (Walmarts) safe places to park and sleep?
20 REPLIES 20

appd221
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Everyone is helping with the West so I'll give you a hint on getting out of Jersey. Soon as you cross Del Mem bridge hit 301 South and follow that all the way through MD into VA and hit I-95 North of Richmond. Miss all the Baltimore, DC traffic. Go straight through Richmond-Petersburg and hit I-85. Only good time to hit Atlanta is in the middle of the night, no other good time that I have found. I came from Palm Springs CA to Orlando last Feb and stayed in Tucson, San Antonio, and Pensacola. Never had any trouble getting into campgrounds with a 45 footer towing a 30ft trailer. Stayed in a resort in Tucson. Good luck

Thanks, being from Jersey and doing several trips from Jersey to FL I was already aware of 301. Great suggestion for some reading this that don't know the area.

appd221
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
rfsod48 wrote:
Brett, the route you suggest around El Paso, does it have more mountains then staying on I 10 or less?
Roland

Slightly LESS. And almost no traffic. Google Earth it!

No way to avoid all the grades, as you have to go "uphill" into N Mexico. But, the grade on 404 is mostly "high gear".

Do NOT take 375/transmountain-- 8-9% up and down.

Well noted. Thanks

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
A great resting point I found is the Mississippi visitors center (south side of 10) on the Lousiana/Mississippi boarder.
They have an awesome parking area for RV's. Make the loop around and the center and proceed like your going to leave. There are multiple pull-outs on both sides and they are meant for RV's.

We love using this spot as the halfway point for us when we go to Daytona for bike week and have also used it many times traveling for other trips.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
rfsod48 wrote:
Brett, the route you suggest around El Paso, does it have more mountains then staying on I 10 or less?
Roland

Slightly LESS. And almost no traffic. Google Earth it!

No way to avoid all the grades, as you have to go "uphill" into N Mexico. But, the grade on 404 is mostly "high gear".

Do NOT take 375/transmountain-- 8-9% up and down.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
While in San Antonio Alamo,River Walk,Esquire Tavern
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
We've traveled I-10 from Jacksonville, FL to Tucson. There are plenty of places to overnight including RV parks, rest stops, and other venues. I use the RVParky app to locate RV parks, Cabela's, rest stops, Walmart, etc. A few suggestions:

1. try to plan to drive thru Houston on I-10 on a Sat or Sunday if you can. Otherwise, avoid early AM or late afternoon rush hours.

2. Once you get west of San Antonio, there is not much in the way of services/stops. It is a lot of jack rabbit country and not much else. Fort Stockton has a Walmart that is a popular stop over for RV's.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

appd221
Explorer
Explorer
For Tucson we are actually staying at house rental myself and other family members are sharing. We are heading to Tucson for a wedding. Its all the places between we need.

Thanks for all of these replies. I read them all and take all suggestions. This is one of the main reasons I love RVing. Its a great big family.

appd221
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
An excellent option around El Paso from I 10 on the east side of El Paso is north on 375, north on U.S.54, northwest on 3255 which turns into NM 213, then west on 404 back to I10.

MUCH less hassle.

Thanks I will look into this for the route planning. That helps thank you

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
Roland
Roland,Linda and Matt Schwarz, LuLu, MoMo and Chewy
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Catipillar C7
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4wd Drive II
Go Bucks!

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2
Prime County Fair grounds just East side of Tucson, Houghton RD exit or next exit Rita Rd. Both take you about miles and half to park.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Everyone is helping with the West so I'll give you a hint on getting out of Jersey. Soon as you cross Del Mem bridge hit 301 South and follow that all the way through MD into VA and hit I-95 North of Richmond. Miss all the Baltimore, DC traffic. Go straight through Richmond-Petersburg and hit I-85. Only good time to hit Atlanta is in the middle of the night, no other good time that I have found. I came from Palm Springs CA to Orlando last Feb and stayed in Tucson, San Antonio, and Pensacola. Never had any trouble getting into campgrounds with a 45 footer towing a 30ft trailer. Stayed in a resort in Tucson. Good luck

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Fairgrounds in Tucson is good place. 25 bucks and lots of space.

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven I-10 from San Antonio to Florida a few times. Since we are retired we never rushed. We always stayed in full hookup campgrounds. Same with going west on I-10. Been to Phoenix, Las Vegas and many other places but always using campgrounds . We never stayed at a Walmart . You will need reservations for Admiralty. We drove past there yesterday and it looked crowded.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
For your Tucson stay you might want to try for reservations at Catalina State Park. You and the children would enjoy it.

That's a lot of driving with only a few hours of sleep here and there. Be careful. Can your wife help with driving?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel