cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just some plain advise

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a new 2014 Coachmen Encounter 37LS on 20 January. The dealership where I purchased it attempted to sell me an extended warranty for four years on appliances ($3500), a 3 year extended warranty for the coach itself ($4200), a 5 year warranty on a "clear coat" which covers the outside, inside floor, material, carpet, walls from stains and discoloration ($1600). I can also purchase a 5 year 100% replacement policy for the tires/rims $899.00.

I believe the tire/rim warranty is a good deal, mainly because in 2016 we are headed to Alaska and the west coast for an extended trip. However I am not sure about the other warranties offered.

I would like to hear from some experienced people on this matter. Are these prices to high? Are they a good deal for extended warranties? I feel if an appliance will fail it will fail in the first year of use.

As always, thanks to those who reply and safe travels.

G George
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
35 REPLIES 35

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
I'd even pass on the tire deal.
You're going to Alaska. Great trip...hope to make it someday in our coach.
Big thing many don't understand about Alaska...I drove to Anchorage in 1974. 1100 miles on the AlCan highway. At that time, less than 10% was paved, the rest was dirt. It was really GOOD dirt, but still dirt. When I drove home in 1978, pretty much the same, although the paved stretches through towns had gotten a bit longer. At that time, there was one stretch of the AlCan that was 98 miles between two buildings. Not towns...BUILDINGS. That's a lot of wilderness 🙂 You had a mandatory "pack list" that got inventoried by the police before you were allowed to get on the AlCan...flares, spare, first aid, tow strap/chain etc. I think they even required a spare carb back in those days, though they were starting to soften up on that requirement. Flares were essential because that is absolutely the EASIEST way to light a fire, even with wet wood. Most folks would coat all of the weather stripping around doors with a heavy coat of vaseline to help seal against dust.

Now, the whole thing is paved. Trucks travel that highway all the time, 12mos a year. I'd carry an unmounted spare, which any truck tire service would be able to mount roadside for you.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer 😞
3 Maine Coon cats

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
OhhWell wrote:

Yeah, you would think they would be smart enough to walk that line between disparaging the product and pushing the service plans.

Which is EXACTLY why the FINANCE guy is the one pushing the EW, NOT the salesman.....:E...Dennis

To the OP, weigh carefully the "advice" to "just put the money in the bank" they're a "waste of money"...I disagree and have the receipts to prove my point....just sayin...

You may not need it with your new coach but to disparage EW's making blanket statements like above is irresponsible and does a disservice to the readers of this forum...I believe in EW in certain situations and feel they aren't for everyone or should be on every coach..but in many instances, they do serve a purpose and save owners money in the long run. Anyone considering any kind of protection, whether warranties, insurance etc. should read the contract before signing and giving over your money. Make sure you know what you're buying, make sure it's right for you, then go for it......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
Put the total amount the entire package will cost in the bank. When something breaks, then it is paid for. It is likely nothing major will happen after the first year and the coach is covered with the warranty (usually) then anyway. You will have money in the bank when this is all over with. These sales guys can make it sound like it is going to fall apart on you. I asked a sales guy on an auto why I needed something like this. He went into a long story of all the things that could go. When I said I was going to re-think the entire purchase if this thing was that unreliable. His whole attitude flipped back to what a quality product they have. 😉

Yeah, you would think they would be smart enough to walk that line between disparaging the product and pushing the service plans.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put the total amount the entire package will cost in the bank. When something breaks, then it is paid for. It is likely nothing major will happen after the first year and the coach is covered with the warranty (usually) then anyway. You will have money in the bank when this is all over with. These sales guys can make it sound like it is going to fall apart on you. I asked a sales guy on an auto why I needed something like this. He went into a long story of all the things that could go. When I said I was going to re-think the entire purchase if this thing was that unreliable. His whole attitude flipped back to what a quality product they have. 😉
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I can only speak from my own experience, but...
I own a small business (nothing to do with RV's).
Service contracts have typically accounted for 33% of my billings and 82% of my profits.

Do the math.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Ramair
Explorer
Explorer
I feel a lot has to do with which company you get the extended warranty from. I have a 7 yr 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty including tires and wheels. For me the peace of mind that comes with that is comforting. I had the same extended warranty with my 5th wheel and they covered 5 new tires for me, plus a few other minor issues. I have a $50.00 deductible. Only thing with tires is you can not mention road construction that is the catch on them to reject the claim. Nice thing is the dealer that I purchased the motorhome from included that since I traded in my 5th wheel and the warranty is transferable. If i'm not mistaken it was only $3000. for the motorhome. Bottom line is you need to do what will make you feel best at the end of the day.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378 XL

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
Don't be a fool. If you have that extra 10 grand put in the bank or invest it.
Most if not all extended warranty are a waste of money!!!!!!
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Even the tire warranty sounds iffy. We put over 100,000 miles on our first motorhome with the only tire troubles being that they wore out. We've also been to Alaska a couple times and up and down the west coast. There was never a problem with a tire. For the tires you'd be far better off to carry an unmounted spare and have a road service. The tire and road service would cost far less than the price they're asking and you would be assured you had a matching tire of the proper size if anything did go wrong.

As for the other warranties I wouldn't even consider them. All the things they cover are covered by the coach builder or the original manufacturer for a period of time. The add on warranty will only go into affect once the originals are expired. So if your refrigerator dies at 11 months the manufacturers warranty will cover it not the extended insurance. The so called warranty plans actually give you far less coverage than advertised. If you buy a 3 year plan you'll only get 2 years of coverage if the warrantied item has a manufacturers 1 year warranty.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
I too would read all the fine print...If you are concerned about going to Alaska in this rig...any damage you may receive to any part of the rig, tires included, may not be covered under "warranty" rather are a hazzard best served by a type of insurance policy to cover road hazzards or other types of unforeseen damages. Warranty...is just for anything that goes bad because of a defect in manufacturing....not wear and tear...so be very careful.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had extended warranties on my last two coaches and they've paid for themselves each time. That said, you're buying a brand new coach which come with a warranty. This means that isn't really a 3 yr warranty, it's only a two year warranty as the mfg warranty covers you the first year. So two years coverage for that kind of money is way too much. I would never buy an extended warranty on a brand new coach or car. If you're buying used, that's a different story as you have no idea how the coach was treated before you bought it.

Pass on the policies including the tire warranty. You probably won't find anyone along the Alaskan Hwy that will honor it anyway. They'll want cash up front and you can try to collect from your insurance company....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Another 'no' to warranties. Put the money in a separate account and you'll see that you won't need it. Your RV is new and has a warranty. If appliances are going to break they'll do so in the first year.

We full-time and travel constantly. We bought our MH new in 2004. Everything is A-ok with it.

Tires for Alaska in two years? Again, we traveled to Alaska in 2009 the last time. Since our tires were from 2004 we chose to replace them all before the trip as they were getting due. We had no problems on the trip. The roads are no worse than some of the two-lane roads in the lower 48. Just drive slow through repair/construction areas.

Warranties are a waste of money.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of money for not much
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you consider a warranty on a brand new RV? It has a warranty. Essentially you'd be paying for nothing for at least a year. If you want one after the 1 year coach or 3/36k Ford then buy one on the open market. Until then why bother?
2013 ACE 29.2

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Read the fine print, most require you to do maintenance on their schedule, for example you need to change the oil every 3000 miles or every 6 months. Miss that by even one day and they will deny a repair of a covered appliance because you didn't do the maintenance even though a oil change has nothing to do with that appliance breaking down.
Use the manufactures warranty until it expires then if you want, buy the extended warranty from an individual company for another 5 years or so.
If you buy now, keep exact records of all maintenance done with exact dates and millage.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD