cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just some plain advise

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a new 2014 Coachmen Encounter 37LS on 20 January. The dealership where I purchased it attempted to sell me an extended warranty for four years on appliances ($3500), a 3 year extended warranty for the coach itself ($4200), a 5 year warranty on a "clear coat" which covers the outside, inside floor, material, carpet, walls from stains and discoloration ($1600). I can also purchase a 5 year 100% replacement policy for the tires/rims $899.00.

I believe the tire/rim warranty is a good deal, mainly because in 2016 we are headed to Alaska and the west coast for an extended trip. However I am not sure about the other warranties offered.

I would like to hear from some experienced people on this matter. Are these prices to high? Are they a good deal for extended warranties? I feel if an appliance will fail it will fail in the first year of use.

As always, thanks to those who reply and safe travels.

G George
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
35 REPLIES 35

LinDens
Explorer
Explorer
Are there really any RV dealers that are honest and trustworthy or is just that some are better salespeople?

Why do we, as buyers, allow these dealers to sell these fictitious extended warranties? Regulators went after the banks because of their lending practices and loan conditions weren't understandable. That is the way these extended warranties are set up. You listen to the salespeople it is the best thing to have.

How do you know if you are being told the real MSRP value?

Just a few questions.

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
My attitude toward extended warranties is: If it weren't such a great deal for the DEALERS, they wouldn't push so hard to sell them.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
So they want to sell you over $10k in insurance? (that's what it really is). Only the manufacturer offers a warranty. You would be out of your mind to spend $.01 on them. You will never get much out of them, you certainly will never get $10k out of them, and these things are full of disclaimers and exclusions. Run away as fast as you can!
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
In Alaska, slow down on the frost heaves, we never had any problems, it would take a lot to bend a rim. Last year our Michelin tires were 500, doubt price has increased that much. Appliances, think frige and washer would have to die to cost $3500. If you want an extended war, check Good Sam probably cheaper and would cover TV's
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
I was quoted $5k on a policy with a good co. I said no. They countered I still said no. Finally we agreed on $2.5k for a total of 5 yr coverage, $100 ded. One month after my coach warranty expired, my frig went belly up. Replacement cost was $1,600 and I paid $100.
Do what you can live with and don't try to second guess the future.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
The companies selling the warranties are making money from selling them so you know every one buying them are not making out. I have had warranties and all but one never paid out close to what it cost me. One did. I have had my current MH, purchased new nearly 6 years and have not had anything wrong that any of my previous warranties would have covered. I will never but a warranty again.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
They sure saw you coming! As to the tire replacement warranty, lets hope someone along the highway to Alaska will honor that warranty!

Hope Coachmen gave you a Coach-Net Roadside Assistance Plan. Coachmen should have given that to you for free for one year, and it is far more valuable than those warranties the dealer wants you to pay for.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
G George, I have never been a fan of extended warranty's. I have read many articles in Motorhome Magazine in their help section of people fighting with their extended warranty company to pay the bill.

We were quoted $8,900 for a bumper to bumper warranty from Monaco. I took the brochure home and read it from cover to cover and I was shocked at what it DID NOT cover. We passed on the offer. Good thing we did as Monaco went bankrupt two years later and our 5yr. warranty would have been lost along with our hard-earned money.

We really have not had anything major in our almost 7 yrs. of ownership and 65,000 miles. We certainly have not spent anywhere near what the extended warranty would have cost on the few things that have needed repair (even if our repairs would be covered).

The few things that come to mind:
-new hydraulic pump for the levelers and brace added.
-3 coolant boxes (hopefully the new one is the final).
-slide computer board repair.
-large slide-out adjustment
-Aqua-Hot board replacement caused by a cracked kitchen drain hose leaking on the board.

If I remember correctly, the above was about $3,000-$3,500. If any of it was even 'coverable', I'm ahead of the game.

It is a gamble and we chose not to roll the dice.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

btd35
Explorer
Explorer
As an appliance tech, depending on the product, I will often recommend the extended service contract, depending on the price of the contract and it's length, because so much is electronic, and control boards from Korea are so cheap, but sold so expensive. However,these prices seem more than a little out of line with what your costs would be to repair these items. They're making excellent money on both ends with this for sure. If this is all they have, you're better paying the later repair price, than paying for all the repairs now at full price, when most of the problems will never happen.
MOST problems with a product happen within the first year, and then after 5 years after items wear from age or use.

Tom & Beth
05,Grand Junction 35TMS
99, Dodge 3500 Dually.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that that Tire warranty will pay out for you unless something odd happens and you completely shred 2 or more tires which is rather unlikely even on the rough roads you are anticipating driving on.

Here is what I believe to be the best advice I can give with all of that:

Don't buy any of the warranties. This segmenting different aspects is silly and potentially a pain. Put that $10,000.00 aside for possible repairs.

I guarantee you that having a cash slush fund for repairs will be easier to access than some extended warranty if you get VERY unlucky and break down in the middle of nowhere hoping that the only repair shop around will honor whichever particular warranty might hopefully cover the repairs.

Just don't do it man. the peace of mind they are selling you is likely not as great as you would think.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

All58Parks
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't buy any of the warranties, and if you've got the cash, open a separate account and put that money in, using it only for repairs on the RV. The odds are, at the end of the 4 years, you'll be way ahead.

Even the tire warranty, so many times people with extended warranties get denied. You'll be out in the wilds, with few options on where and how to get the repairs done, and the odds of the extended warranty coming through don't seem very good. They'll tell you that you have to go to a specific shop, or use a specific replacement that won't be available anywhere near where you are when you break down.

I've had two occasions to try and use an extended warranty (Ones that were given to me, I didn't buy them), and both cases were horrible examples of poor communication, poor customer service and both were denied for reasons that weren't even in the fine print. They figure most people will just give up, and they're correct.
2014 Wildcat Maxx 26bhs
2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the "put the money in the bank" and IMO you will come out far ahead of this game.

READ the tire contract carefully it needs to cover ALL road hazards.

Also consider how many miles you plan to drive over the next 5 years less than 30,000 miles and I would pass. Most MH tires are replaced for dry rot due to age.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
You really need to read the fine print on the tire/rim coverage. Many time punctures are not covered for the tires and bent or damaged rims due to road conditions are also not covered. Might fall under the dreaded Road Hazard (includes, but not limited to, punctures, cuts, snags, impact breaks, etc.)
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
GGeorge wrote:
....I do think the tire warranty is a good deal. I just read another post where someone purchased 8 new Michelins for $700.00 each and he had the rims. Planning a trip to AK I feel this would be a good policy for $899.00.

Possibly. The key is, read ALL the fine print to it, and make sure you understand exactly what is and is NOT covered. Frequently they have all kinds of verbiage in those contracts to weasel out of paying, or to limit how much they'll pay.

Yes, a trip to Alaska could be brutal on tires, and just two tire replacements and you'd be $$ ahead with that tire warranty. That is, assuming there isn't an exclusion for tires used on rough roads like found in Alaska, or some other 'weasel words' in the contract that make them only have to pay a small part of your tire expenses in some circumstances.

Like I said, you just need to understand exactly what you're getting, and what you're not getting.

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Extended warranties are really insurance policies. Never purchase insurance to cover anything you could not cover yourself. As an example, do you have insurance on coffee maker? Of course not- if it broke, you could just go buy another. Do you have insurance on your new dually pick up truck? Of course you do- if it were stolen or destroyed you probably could not easily just go buy another one! Could you easily pay to replace a circuit board on the RV's water heater? If yes, then the extended warranty is not for you.

Two more issues: one read the actual policy (contract) not the sales brochure. You will be surprised what really is covered, how any payments are made, and the confusing language as compared to the brochure. The other thing, when you buy that extended warranty you are covering yourself twice as you have a manufacturer's warranty at the same time you have that extended warranty.