cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee steps inop.

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
Went out to the MH today to troubleshoot my chassis disconnect (won't disconnect) problem so I open the door and no steps. Checked the voltage at the switch, voltage is there, door open and light at the step is on, turn switch of and light goes off. With light on and close the door the light goes out like it should (steps should retract). Didn't have time to do the voltage check at the motor or controller. Wow those parts are pricey.
Anyone have troubles like this before.
Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

Celtic_Heart
Explorer
Explorer
On three occasions over the past several years I have used the 'fix' described below by a Mandalay forum member. Since I live in California I believe the issue is not so much dirt and moisture but more likely the heat drying the lubricant. Whatever the cause, on each occasion the problem has been solved. I also use motorcycle chain oil.

'One of the things I have had to do a few times is to crawl underneath and tap
gently on the lever that extends from the step motor while my wife opens and
closes the door. Be sure to be out of the way in case the steps deploy. This
has happened a couple of times after I have gone through heavy rains that washed
a lot of grit into the step mechanism. Once the steps open, I thoroughly
lubricate everyplace two moving parts touch. I use either motorcycyle chain oil
or a good quality silicone spray'.

Good Luck and I hope this helps,

Paddy Drumm
Paddy & Sheila
2006 Mandalay, Bath & 1/2
400HP Cummins ISL
Towing a Saturn Vue
Ready Brute

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I had mine fail 3 times.

1. Bad battery. Replaced both batteries.

2. 4 pin connector corroded on inside. Cleaned connector and steps worked OK for another year. Connector look OK but would not make a good connection 12VDC to motor would drop to 6.6 volts when steps activated.

3. Would not retract (left steps out over winter). Bad motor replace with Dorman #742-206 motor from Auto Zone.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
There has been so much written about inoperative Kwikee steps that it would take days to find it all and probably months to read it all. The odds are the problem is either poor maintenance and lubrication of the steps or the motor is bad. If it is not either one of those two things then try the simple and easily performed trouble shooting procedure in the manual. Which manual? What year are your steps and which series do you have? Basically they are the same if they are after the switch over from the Delco motor to the window step motor.

So for us to really help, we need to know what year your rig is, what series steps you have and do you have one of the color coded controllers or one of the black controllers.

Do not pay any attention to any post regarding a replacement motor that does not give you the date of purchase, store where purchased, manufacturer, and part number.

There are two basic motors, those with cast aluminum gear housings and those with phenolic gear housings. The aluminum ones are most likely for a FoMoCo product. One of the posts in this thread lists several, I think some of those are out of date. The phenolic(plastic) motors are from the shop in Oregon and are generaly cheaper than the metal Ford type but I would love to know where you can buy a new or rebuilt lift motor for $26.00.

There used to be a rebuild kit for the Ford type and you may find the kit listed in some old catalogs or on line but don't count on them being in stock or carried by anyone. Replacing the little plastic bumpers may help, but don't count on the motor lasting very long after replacement.

There is a wiring diagram for your steps, download it from Powergear if you don't have the original. Make sure you get the one for your steps. There is a schematic as well as a troubleshooting diagram. The schematic shows the proper way to wire the steps. There is only one power source in my opinion. Some say the steps should be wired to the chassis battery some say the house battery. If you have the black controller and a magnetic door switch, then you have to hook up power to the ignition. This may be what some are calling a second power source but it does not power the motor it signals the controller to provide power to the motor.

Some steps have been wired to chassis battery and ignition some use the house battery and the chassis ignition.

If you have to replace the motor, I think you will find it is easier to remone the entire extend/retract mechinism than to just remove the motor. There are just four 7/16" nuts holding the step gearcase and motor assembly to the steps to remove and the clevis pin to remove. If the steps are retracted, this method is usually easier than just removing the lift motor. It is also easier to disassemble the step gear case on the bench than laying on your back under your rig and there are not any little parts to put up into the assembly.

When my steps died way back in 1999, I was a little afraid to fix them myself and I hadn't joined this Forum yet. I took it to a service center who put the clevis pin in from the wrong side and when I tried to remove the pin it was a pain. The cotter key was also a pain and I replaced the pin with a 'Hitch Pin Clip' or as they are commonly called, a 'Hairpin Clip'. Much easier to install and remove.

This has been very long and I hope it has been helpful. If the steps are properly cleaned and lubricated once or twice a year most failures will be prevented. The lift motor will fail eventually and finding the correct replacement will be the hardest problem. Putting your rig on ramps, removing and replacing the lift motor should only take about 30 minutes. It is a very simple project, cleaning and lubing will take longer. Well thats it for now, I think in the future I'll just link this thread to the next post on repairing Kwikee steps.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
The answer is yes. But more importantly have you gone through the steps that Clay posted in the trouble shooting guide.You need to take 4 measurements with a mulimeter This will isolate the problem to the motor, switches,or controller. I just went through this with my steps this winter using Clay's info and found that it was the controller. If you post your test results you will get help to find the problem.

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
Can the steps be extended manually for access?

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
charlysmom&dad wrote:
We were parked for 3 months, and the steps would not come out when we wanted to move. We had to spray steps with lithium grease to get them moving again.

Everything looked pretty dry under there, as in no grease. I don't think my dad would have crawled under there to grease them.

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
To verify whether it is the motor, apply 12 volts directly to the motor. Reverse wires for opposite operation.
Stay clear of step while doing this or disconnect linkage so step does not move.
Did you varify that there is both power sources to the control?

No power checks yet, hopefully tomorrow I can check that out.

USARMYCW
Explorer
Explorer
charlysmom&dad wrote:
We were parked for 3 months, and the steps would not come out when we wanted to move. We had to spray steps with lithium grease to get them moving again.

X2

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
This is some info I have collected over the years from various threads for Kwikee steps.

Trouble shooting chart HERE

There is a trouble shooting guide HERE

If you need sources for motors or parts check the following:

Motor

PARTS 1

PARTS 2

PARTS 3

2) Replacement step motor at AutoZone. It's a Siemens "Window Lift Motor", part number WL43003.

3) Autozone. The brand is "Siemens"
The ID tag lists the following numbers:
59720-20
4) A 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99. "

Also these guys rebuild the older unencapsulated circuit boards: HERE

New info in 2012
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Aci-Auto-Window-Lift-Motor/1995-Ford-F150-1-2-ton-P-U-2WD/_/N-j1z7uZ8ijybZ1z10l3u?itemIdentifier=972601_315519_1264_1356%2C78656

Aci Auto/Window Lift Motor

For your 1995 Ford Truck F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 5.0L EFI 8cyl
Enlarge Image
Part Number: 83094

On disasembly of the motor I found the plastic plugs severly lopsided due to all the years of strain, new plugs cost $8.00 at Autozone or Amazon, other than that the Autozone Ford Mark VI would have worked $ $44, but I saved myself $38
Just rplaced my 25 series Kwikee step motor with a Dorman 742-277 window lift motor for a 1986 Ford Taurus driver side window lift motor. They said the Taurus had a high torqe motor which is why the number ends with 277 meaning high torqe. My steps zip in and out with this motor application. It was a special order item but only took one day for them to get it to my local AutoZone store. I also noticed AutoZone had rebuild kits for Dorman window lift gear boxes (plastic gears) in the Help section of the store.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
To verify whether it is the motor, apply 12 volts directly to the motor. Reverse wires for opposite operation.
Stay clear of step while doing this or disconnect linkage so step does not move.
Did you varify that there is both power sources to the control?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a motor that is bad then do a search on this forum and you find that a Ford power window motor is the same and can be purchased for about $24. Fairly easy replacement, hardest part is getting up from the ground LOL. Please do not lay under the step and keep fingers clear of the arms as the step may actuate while troubleshooting it. Follow the troubleshooting guide as previously mentioned and make sure it has a good ground. Reply with what you find out; Blessings KDK
PS what did you find out with the disconnect switch issue?
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
The steps have two power sources. Sounds like the control is working but the motor power is not. Could be low or dead battery, bad ground or blown fuse.
Kwikee has good troubleshooting. They are now part of power gear.
Step manual

Battery is at 12.3vdc with the engine not running. With engine started they still won't work. Fuses are good. I guess I will need to check the voltages at the 2 wire connector then the 4 wire one.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The steps have two power sources. Sounds like the control is working but the motor power is not. Could be low or dead battery, bad ground or blown fuse.
Kwikee has good troubleshooting. They are now part of power gear.
Step manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker