cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

leveling

backhoemike
Explorer
Explorer
i tried to park on uneven site the passenger side of coach was probably 8 inch lower, i scotched this side of coach and put 6x6 blocks to keep from extending so far, my problem started when it lifted it too far and my tires came off the ground which tires isnt scotched any longer and it rolled off the blocks. the feet stuck in the ground , luckily i have retracted and not bent any stablizers , but when it retracted it left the feet and springs in the dirt and gravel. Anyone know a james bond trick for getting the feet back on the cylinders, I am not sure i can do this by myself?
17 REPLIES 17

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have the 95 model?. If so, look at the bottom of the ram that extends. At the bottom there is supposed to be a metal "TIT" that looks like a nipple. THAT keeps the jack pad from sliding off. That Tit will usually shear OFF when you do something like you did. Hopefully it did not shear them off. If one of them did, you will have to replace the jack cylinder as the pad will slide off again. The newer model HWH jacks have a pivot bushing and are bolted to the cylinder. Depending on the poundage(size) of the jack, you can either use brute strength to pull the foot down and on the cylinder, or disconnect one spring from the top mount, not the foot, pull the existing spring and foot pad over the cylinder and then use a floor jack on the un-springed side and jack the foot pad up and then connect the spring to the foot pad and use your upper body strength to hook the hook of the spring to the top hole on the upper jack mount. I do this all the time and I am 59 years old. Now, if your jacks are larger than 12k then this will not work, but a 95 Londonaire should not have a 16k jack. Doug

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
lil-bobber1 wrote:
It appears that "scotch blocks" is a term used in tow trucks and railroads-it serves the same as a chock in aircraft. ( and RV's)
Thank You, I drove OTR 44-1/4 years and I wasn't familiar with that term. I was on the track gang with Great Northern Railroad in 1969 and never heard of that term!

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
All I do is put one side of spring on. Put a jack on the side without spring. Jack up side without spring.It will tilt foot so the spring is closer. Just pull spring down by hand and attach to base. Ware gloves.

backhoemike
Explorer
Explorer
pretty 70 degree day and I broke out the clothes pins and last instructions and got them both on. I am sure I need new springs but save that for another day. thanks again all

lwasouth
Explorer
Explorer
The foot portion of the HWH jack is only held on the ram by a ball joint. Ball on the ram and socket in the foot. You can tilt the foot to start it over the ball and then just roll it into the socket.
I have done this when installing new springs.
If your springs are weak enough for the mud to pull the foot off the ram. I would suggest new springs.

backhoemike
Explorer
Explorer
yes there are several things i should and could have done different. Chocking the wheels on the other side would have prevented this also. Just curious if this had happened to someone else and if they had any ideas on easiest way to get them reinstalled on rams..

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I use 6" X 6" wooden blocks to help lift my coach. I've been doing this since 1976. What your describing I would lower my jacks (just the two jacks on the high side) so there just touching the ground with nothing under them. Then, I would put the 6" X 6" blocks under the low side and lift the low side only (just the one front and rear jack on the low side) until the coach is level. You lucked out when you didn't bend a jack there $750.00 to replace one jack. Also I never heard of the term you used? I drove truck for 44-1/4 years and they were always know as chock blocks.

backhoemike
Explorer
Explorer
i wish i was home so i could try to fix it... LOL i have not had an issue that i posted i didnt gain or learn something from i am just 43 yrs old and only had the MH about a year and wow what i have learned good thing i am handy and have some skills or it would cost me alot of money as i have made alot of rookie mistakes...

lil-bobber1
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that "scotch blocks" is a term used in tow trucks and railroads-it serves the same as a chock in aircraft. ( and RV's)

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
backhoemike wrote:
Scotch blocks are wooden or metal wedges used to keep your tires from moving. The feet on the ram turned down like a knife edge as it slid off the blocks and stuck in the ground so when i retracted my rams they stayed in the ground some systems have the feet bolted to the ram but mine are held up by two springs but i can see the clothes pin trick working very well thanks for the tip. You can google up Scotch blocks if your interested anyway guys as usual you have helped me alot...

Roger that Sir. I've always referred to them as "Chock blocks" or "Wheel chocks" but, again, always learning something here.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

backhoemike
Explorer
Explorer
Scotch blocks are wooden or metal wedges used to keep your tires from moving. The feet on the ram turned down like a knife edge as it slid off the blocks and stuck in the ground so when i retracted my rams they stayed in the ground some systems have the feet bolted to the ram but mine are held up by two springs but i can see the clothes pin trick working very well thanks for the tip. You can google up Scotch blocks if your interested anyway guys as usual you have helped me alot...

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:

Well Sir,
First off, I've never heard the term "scotched" before
Scott

You too huh..???:h
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
backhoemike wrote:
i tried to park on uneven site the passenger side of coach was probably 8 inch lower, i scotched this side of coach and put 6x6 blocks to keep from extending so far, my problem started when it lifted it too far and my tires came off the ground which tires isnt scotched any longer and it rolled off the blocks. the feet stuck in the ground , luckily i have retracted and not bent any stablizers , but when it retracted it left the feet and springs in the dirt and gravel. Anyone know a james bond trick for getting the feet back on the cylinders, I am not sure i can do this by myself?

Well Sir,
First off, I've never heard the term "scotched" before in leveling coaches. So, I don't have a clue as to what it means. But, the leveling situation has been talked about before, just a few times on here and other RV forums. Everyone's got their ways of handling un level situations. I carry a small lumber yard with me. We've encountered many-a "un level" camp sites in our ventures and, having that lumber yard has paid off a zillion times.

In my personal opinion, the smart thing to do when you encounter a spot such as you saw and were in, is, carry some lumber, in the form of pads, ramps etc. that will allow you to drive up on. The point is, to get that rig as close to level as possible, preliminarily with the tires/wheels/suspension.

Then, if you have to, also place blocks under the jack pads so they don't have to travel so far and, that also eliminates the potential "stuck in the mud" jack bases. That way, your jacks only do the "fine tuning" and, stabilization and, EVERYTHING IS STILL ON THE GROUND! No wheels in the air.

As for getting the pads and springs back on the "ram", I'm not sure how they came off in the first place unless something broke. I mean, the spring ends are "hooked" in such a manor that it's pretty hard for them to just "come off" when using the jacks and, the jacks are extended makes it even harder for them to come off the attachment points. Must be something I'm not seeing here. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Pick up some cheap wooden clothes pins at the dollar store. The two piece type with center spring. Take them apart and use each piece as a wedge.
Bend your springs back and forth, and side to side, inserting a wedge as each opening presents itself. If you can remove the springs and work on a table or bench it is much easier. A second pair of hands helps also. You only need a couple of inches of lengthening to make it work. Once reinstalled just extend the jacks and the wedges will fall out.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.