cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Living in a Covered RV

Keeter59
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 40 foot diesel pusher that I live in full-time. Is there a cover made that would allow me to still live in the RV while the cover is on? Obviously it would need door/window openings and would have to be "breathable." I have basement AC.
Thanks,
KLH
17 REPLIES 17

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
w4phj do you suppose that would have worked in Oklahoma today? Pretty sad situation out there.

No. My CBS garage was designed for 170 MPH. My 14 X 14 doors are only capable of 150 MPH. The garage was designed to be hurricane resistant
and is certainly not capable of surviving a tornado. The poor folks in Oklahoma never had a chance......
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to keep the RV out of the sun, you could build an RV port with sides that have louvers so there is a free flow of air.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

w4phj do you suppose that would have worked in Oklahoma today? Pretty sad situation out there.

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
I'm parked inside a huge garage plugged into 50A. Bring on the storms and UV.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Maybe a car port

that would be (and is) my solution.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
My thought is--it would be a waste of time and money because so many items on the roof need to be fully open to air: sewer vent pipe, frig vent, AC units, crank up vents, etc. And on the sides you need the frig, water heater and furnace vents all open to the outside. I'd also recommend that most windows be uncovered to allow escape in an emergency and to not make you feel like you are living in a cave. "breathable" won't make any of those roof items work properly, all that does is help the cover dry when it rains.

In a high wind area...even with it tied down pretty securely I'd think it would flap like crazy. I have heard of serious paint damage from this happening.

If the roof leaks...all the openings needed for the roof items to vent properly will delete any leakage worries.

The fix for a leaky roof...have it repaired. No matter how hard you try, there is always an opportunity for water to get in if there is a opening of some kind. You can try parking under a secure solid structure like a carport.

Good luck.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I see a couple of problems with living inside an RV with a cover on it.

The vent stack for the black tank needs to be open to the air when using the toilet.

You will not be able to put up the antenna.

The Air Conditioning unit must be open to the air.
As will the furnace vent if heating the RV.

And if you plan to cook and not die, the stove vent needs to be open to the air.

The refrigerator has an outside vent for a reason and it too will need to be open to the air.

Going to take a hot shower? Well that vent better be open to the air or the cover and the RV will catch fire and you won't need to know if you can live in an RV with the cover on anymore! :B:B

You will be cutting far MORE holes in this cover other than just for a door and window. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

klm
Explorer
Explorer
OP - why? Are you thinking extra insulation from cold weather? Protecting rv roof? Are you parked in one location? I am a fulltimer, and have never considered any type of covering. When I am parked in a cold weather, snowy area, I do take some extra steps to keep warm and all systems protected - and I do go up on the roof and push broom the snow off before it melts/crusts. Then I scadaddle to FL!!!!
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get four or five blue tarps and duct tape them where you need them. ๐Ÿ™‚ I was thinking why also until I saw the photo of the RV packed in snow. Get an ADCO cover and have it modified if its not correct to your needs. Many sewing or sail shops could do it.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a car port

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
You might have ADCO custom make a cover.

ADCO

Also check out their close out sale.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Judgerr
Explorer
Explorer
Now that's FUNNY I don't care who you arre!!:)
2008 F-350 6.8 DRW Lariat 4x2 Aug 2014. Scan Gauge II, Bilsteins,
Full Timing & Loving it!
2014 Jayco Eagle Premier 321RLTS
I'm not a judge, it's just a nickname from USMC days!
"SEMPER FI" Vietnam 1968!

Maladjusted
Explorer
Explorer
peaches&cream wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
Isn't that kind of like putting plastic coverings on the couch?

I cover all my couches in plastic. Something wrong with that? :h

I cover all my couches with dog hair. It keeps people from sitting on them and wearing them out.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
Isn't that kind of like putting plastic coverings on the couch?

I cover all my couches in plastic. Something wrong with that? :h