cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking wheel nuts - Ford

beckx020
Explorer
Explorer
My friend died 2 weeks ago. Her motorhome is parked but had a flat tire in front. The wheel cover/hubcap won't come off because she has a lock wheel nut. My Motorhome has the same wheel covers, but mine are not locked and I can take them off and put them on. We have this T type thing that is supposed to be a locking nut key/remover. I have never used one of these. I try to put it on and turn it, but it won't turn. Got a stronger man and he couldn't turn it either. Looked on Youtube and they only show Ford Focus or whatever if you lost the key.

We cannot just air up the tire because it's not stuck to the rim anymore. She had white covers over the tires, so I'm not sure how long it has been flat.

The wheel cover is one with the 8 shiny lugs on it. Pretty common for many years. The motorhome is a Shasta class C on a E-450.

So, how do I get this thing off?

Thank you for help.
Clueless - 1998 Tioga 31ft

Blind -

It doesn't interest me who you know, or how you came to be here.

I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

- Oriah Mountain Dreamer
18 REPLIES 18

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I took a box end wrench of the right size and heated it with a torch and bent it to a right angle.
Works fine, with the help of a bar.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
You showed it who's boss. Good for you!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

beckx020
Explorer
Explorer
Success! Thank you all!

What finally worked was a crescent wrench opened all the way and using my foot to push it down to loosen the nut. I could get that to stay toward the base of the nut. I did get a socket which needed a bigger handle. This all was too heavy to stay on well. I had to use my foot since my arms/hands were just not strong enough.

They got the tire sealed onto the rim, but warned it might not last real long. We just needed to get it to a storage place. Sister will be able to come here in a couple months and stay long enough to get the rig sold etc.

So, sometimes those useless crescent wrenches actually are useful. 🙂

Blind -

I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

- Oriah Mountain Dreamer

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I took pix of one of our covers today. Same as the ones in CD's excellent photos. All I've said above applies. Look forward to your report!

beckx020
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver yes, this is the kind of cover on my rig and my friend's rig. I didn't get back there today, so I appreciate the pics! (her funeral was today)

Will be cold and windy and rainy the next few days. So if it gets nice or I'm really bored, I'll get the socket and see what I can do. I will write back here when I have any progress (or not).

Blind -

- Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all on this as thee are usually 2 that hold the cap on. They are not on there to prevent theft of the tire or wheel, they are there to prevent the wheel liner from coming off rolling down the road.

On my wheel covers I don't have this and after taking off and on a few times the claws that hold them on start to get weaker. So I have gone to the stainless zip ties and put 2 on each wheel cover and through the wheel holes to keep them on. I'm thinking of just taking the liners off except they do look better with them on.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Our Class C E450 chassis has wheel covers held in place with two nuts with dimples as shown below. I always tighten them with the T handle wrench because the the two nuts only engage at most two threads on the lug bolt and overtightening would strip the threads. Never had a problem removing the dimpled nuts with the T handle wrench.

E450 Lug nut - note just two threads available for wheel cover nut. Also note proper torque for lug nut (140 ft lb) stamped into top of nut.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF it's what I think it is, there are six fakes. When you get the cover off you'll see HOW fake. Two opposing ones should be dimpled. And, those two are stuck.

beckx020
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your replies. I don't think I will be able to get pics tomorrow. But will do my best. I did get back and look. There is one one lug with a dimple on it. However, this one seems like it's part of the wheel cover. When I wiggle it, the cover seems to move with it. A total of 6 of them are like this. There are 2 of them that are opposite each other that are firm and don't wiggle at all. They do not have dimples on them. I have to believe that these are the ones screwed onto the bolts under them.

So, will have to try to get something to undo them. Or perhaps I can find a tire place that has a replacement tire they will come out and mount for us.

Don't know how I can get penetrating oil under there.

Why in the world do they put on something that is so horrible to get off? I don't have them and nobody stole my tires yet. Then again, this is probably why I don't have those things on my wheel covers.

We will figure it out somehow.
Again, thank you all!

Blind -

- Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
I have not seen real wheel locks in years.

I had some back in 1967 to protect the wheels
on a Firebird.
You needed a special Key.

Are you sure it is a "lock" or are you just seeing
the fake lug nuts as mentioned above?

You may need some penetrating oil on them it they have been
on a long time. Otherwise there is always a hammer and chisel
then replace the stud and nut.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actual Lug Nut Size, under those covers, is 7/8". I've been able to do ours with:

1. Electric Impact Wrench. My cheap Harbor Freight one will do it. 7/8 impact socket from Amazon, looks like the one I posted above.
2. 3/4" drive sized breaker bar with 7/8 socket
3. 7/8 end of a NAPA "four way" truck lug wrench (the cross-shaped ones)
4. Lug Wrench that came with the E450 chassis, WITH a piece of pipe extending it

A 1/2" drive breaker bar and 7/8 might do it too, but torque spec is 140 and when you work that high with 1/2" tools a lot of effort gets lost in twisting and bending the tool itself.

Air up All Six before you go to move this coach any distance!

And keep us updated as Dennis asks!

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
My SS wheel liners have 4 locking nuts each. I have a large socket, I think
1 & 1/8 inch that fits and is a lot easier to use than the T handle wrench. Dick

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Mine has 2 of the wheel cover lug nuts that must be removed, not one.

Mine also has two nuts. I had to remove mine with a socket and ratchet - the "T" handle would NOT loosen them. Just to make it a little clearer, these 2 nuts must be removed in order to get the wheel covers off. Then you still have to remove the "regular" lug nuts to get the wheel off.

So, first look for the two chrome nuts with the "dimple" and remove those with a socket and ratchet. Then remove the wheel cover. Then use a lug wrench or socket and impact driver to actually remove the wheel.. Good luck and let us know how you came out.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine has 2 of the wheel cover lug nuts that must be removed, not one.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB