cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking wheel nuts - Ford

beckx020
Explorer
Explorer
My friend died 2 weeks ago. Her motorhome is parked but had a flat tire in front. The wheel cover/hubcap won't come off because she has a lock wheel nut. My Motorhome has the same wheel covers, but mine are not locked and I can take them off and put them on. We have this T type thing that is supposed to be a locking nut key/remover. I have never used one of these. I try to put it on and turn it, but it won't turn. Got a stronger man and he couldn't turn it either. Looked on Youtube and they only show Ford Focus or whatever if you lost the key.

We cannot just air up the tire because it's not stuck to the rim anymore. She had white covers over the tires, so I'm not sure how long it has been flat.

The wheel cover is one with the 8 shiny lugs on it. Pretty common for many years. The motorhome is a Shasta class C on a E-450.

So, how do I get this thing off?

Thank you for help.
Clueless - 1998 Tioga 31ft

Blind -

It doesn't interest me who you know, or how you came to be here.

I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

- Oriah Mountain Dreamer
18 REPLIES 18

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the "hub caps" have two nuts that hold them to the lugs, you can find them by looking at the ends, they have a small dimple in the center, where they are welded to the nut, most sockets won't fit correct, really odd size, use the "T" tool if you have it.

navegator

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, condolences. I've lost several dear ones close to me in the last few months, one yesterday.

The common covers are from Dicor (yep, same as the Rubber Roof People). Six of the eight "nuts" are fake. Two are stainless trim caps snapped over common steel nuts. You can see the little crimp marks on those two. Is that what you are seeing? Our C has those, and didn't happen to come with the little T-handled "wrench." When I saw the "wrench" I learned it wouldn't get them adequately tight. Nor would it get them OFF if they had rusted in place. If the nuts are simply Hex, if the "wrench" is simply "Hex" (and by that I mean no oddball pattern so a unique nut pattern takes a unique wrench pattern), then they're stuck. I bought a 1-1/8" Deep Socket, 1/2" drive size, at Lowe's. Then I use my mechanic's ratchet. I like the Lowe's sockets because the portion that holds the nut is a little deeper than other brands. Because it's the front wheel, you don't need a socket extension. Could even use a "box end wrench." Of course you could use an adjustable wrench, pipe wrench, etc. but the chances of mangling the trim cover go way up if you do.

Something that grips like the closed "Box" end of the wrench or socket. About $10 each on Amazon Prime. Lowe's was about $10 for the socket. I don't think Harbor Freight sells those sizes individually.

You "might" be able to jack that wheel up a little and see if the bead touches the rim and you can air it without dealing with the lugs. I give you 99% probability of success with a wrench, 9% with the jack.

Please post a pic of the fasteners if they don't look like I described. Thanks for helping your friends. Wish we could find somebody close who could come and help.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
Can you put a socket on it?? I had issues with mine once, and even ended up bending the "T" tool...got a socket and wham.....easy breezy. Hope this helps.
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look carefully at the "Lug nuts" on the wheel cover, only one of them requires the "T" tool, it will have a small "Dimple" on the side of the nut, removing this one nut will allow you to remove the wheel cover.
At least it does on my '07 E450
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund