cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Driving Days: Class A vs. Trailer

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We've recently changed from a truck and bumper pull to a Class A motorhome. We've done nearly 40k miles with the trailer. On long trips, we would average about 500 miles per day when trying to "make time". They were tough, but doable. I had a grip on what I could handle.

We've not been on a long road trip with our motorhome yet, but have 8k miles planned for this summer. I'm expecting some of the benefits of a Class A to help us (fewer fuel, restroom and food stops), but it does seem to require more attention when driving, which I could see being more fatiguing than the truck/trailer combo.

What are your thoughts comparing long drive days with different style RV's? I'm planning out next summer and don't want to over or underestimate driving days. I realize it is not only different for every person, but different each day as well.

Thanks for any input.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
52 REPLIES 52

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
I use the 330 rule - not more than 330 miles a day, and be there by 3:30 so we can have cocktails at 4pm. And I still work fulltime.

Al

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I'll vote for the class A diesel pusher M/H,
The noise level is a big factor in fatigue, and our coach is very quiet.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We've owned 2 travel trailers, 4 fifth wheels, on on our second MH. The MH is much more comfortable to ride, and the more you spend on one the better it gets. DP MH is going to be your best bet for ride comfort. Independant front suspension on a MH and with a tag axle, it doesn't get much better. This current rig I could drive for a long time if needed. But still working, most our trips are 5-6 hours at best as they are closer to home.

There are a lot of MH types that don't drive so well for various reasons. Just like trailer and towing vehicle combo's.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Great conversation. Again, I don't WANT to drive this much. It is a necessity in some occasions. For this particular trip, I'm coming from the southeast and want to see the Pacific Coast, including some of BC. As a working man, I feel blessed that it is even an option. But it will require some days of putting miles behind me. There's been enough encouragement here that I believe my plan is not overly ambitious. Tiring at times, yes.

Regarding the comments about speed. On nearly every trip we take, it is a daily occurrence that other RV's (of all types) blow our doors off going much faster than the speed limit. Just shows how careless and inconsiderate some are. I've always been 58-62 kind of guy. Based on my limited experience, the motorhome is comfortable at 62-66, but that would be my limit.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:
My MH is more comfortable to sit in than my pickup. My Dodge is a 1 ton and rides rough and the seat is awful. The MH has a really comfy seat with nice arm rests. I still like to limit my traveling to 2 or 3 hours between rests.

Handling wise my truck pulling my 5th wheel handles better that my MH. My current MH is better than one I owned years ago that one was a 30' gasser on a workhorse chassis it was light with a lot of overhang past the rear axle man that thing blew all over the road in any wind.

I don't know how this is true. I drive 75mph in my motorhome in most conditions and I would never, ever drive my truck and FW faster than 70mph. Even at 70mph it was a bit nerve racking....

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I drove 10-12,000 a month commercially, that's work The RV is to kick back and enjoy, 3-4 hrs max then parked for 3-14 days.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
My MH is more comfortable to sit in than my pickup. My Dodge is a 1 ton and rides rough and the seat is awful. The MH has a really comfy seat with nice arm rests. I still like to limit my traveling to 2 or 3 hours between rests.

Handling wise my truck pulling my 5th wheel handles better that my MH. My current MH is better than one I owned years ago that one was a 30' gasser on a workhorse chassis it was light with a lot of overhang past the rear axle man that thing blew all over the road in any wind.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
As long as both are set up and functioning correctly...no big deal driving either. After a couple hours, we want to get up, stretch, hit the bathroom etc...

Then again, we prefer 100-150 mile days.

I will say that could be true if it were only me, but my big chair and air ride are a plus with the open space for the fam sure make life a little easier. And the wind, omg....the wind is truly a killer with a trailer vs the DP.

150 miles? OMG, I could drive a Prius with a back seat full of raccoons for only 150 miles!! Out west 150 miles wouldn't get you anywhere.....but the middle of nowhere!

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
As long as your rig is handling properly, the time/miles you can go depends on you, but it will be definitely easier in a class A. When we head to Alaska (7 times since 2006) or Arizona (yearly) we plan for 600-700 mile days and generally run just about that. If we're in a hurry we'll stretch that to 800 or more. Staying ahead of a cold wave last year we went well over 900 on the way to Arizona. I have personally driven the Red Bay, AL to Delaware (1005 miles) solo. Our seats are comfortable, noise levels are low, pee breaks generally are less than 5 minutes, meals or sandwiches can be prepared ahead of time so stop times run around 30 minutes, and there is no hunting for RV parks at the close of the day as we stop at wide spots in the road, Walmarts, or other quick stops. Depending on how we feel, DW drives as well as me, but changeovers take less than 5 minutes. If she doesn't drive I can easily run the same length days. The best part of the Class A is that after a full drive day, the next day we're ready to do it again, and again, and again. DE to AK is about 10 days straight depending on how hard we push. We've made the 5500 miles in as little as 6 1/2 days.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on a lot of factors. Nice to be able to talk about it while the rig is in storage, but then you get the 'itch' and that makes it more difficult. As you, no doubt, found out with the TT, much of the 'fun' of driving depends on how the rig is set up. If your weight is off, it wants to steer the truck, if your WD hitch isn't set correctly you get the same feeling of the tail wagging the dog. Same physics apply to the motorhome. Simple things like weight distribution, tire pressure and alignment are going to be your major annoyances. Before you set out on your trip, load the coach as you would, fill er up with fuel, but only about 1/4 tank of fresh water, (water is 8#/gallon) You want at least 1/4 tank for emergencies. Once you've loaded it up, take it to a scale and get it weighed. Four corners is optimal but axle weights are ok. With your weight ticket, check PSI in the tires to ensure they're aired up right. If you need the PSI link, let us know. Also, with the weight ticket you can look at your weight distribution and adjust accordingly. Move some of the heavier items forward and back. You've said it tracks straight so it sounds like your alignment is ok but you can also have that checked if need be. Finally, have the rig serviced before heading out, oil changed, filters changed etc. I always carry a couple extra filters for emergency repairs on the road. Make sure everything is a go, insurance is paid up and you've got a big cushion on your VISA limit and you're all set. Enjoy the trip.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just went from 30' TT to a 37' gas Class A motorhome towing a Jeep. Neither one were fatiguing to drive but I much prefer driving the Class A. Sitting up high and being able to see so much better to me makes it a more pleasant experience when driving a lot of miles in one day.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a full size Ford van pulling a travel trailer to a 30' class C motorhome, so from a pure driving perspective nothing has really changed (I'm still sitting in a Ford van cab). I can drive all day long, I love driving and really just need to stop for gas and to pee.

The difference is the passengers. In the van, boredom and the need to move around limited our travel time. With the motorhome, they can sit at the dinette and play games, go to the bathroom, make lunch etc.

Plus I went from 35 to 55 gallons of gas so I can extend gas stops a bit.

Anyway, point being for me the passengers are the limiting factor regardless of the rig I'm driving.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Bruce_Brown
Until recently we owned both our DP and a 33' TT. The TT is now gone. I pulled the TT with a Ford Super Duty diesel and the best anti-sway load equalization hitch money could buy.

With that said, I would rather drive our MH for a day vs pull the TT for an hour. It's not like pulling the TT was hard, it's just driving the MH is sooo easy.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good post.
The fun goes out of a trip for our family when the days are much more than 300 miles. I have been a road warrior since the 1960s. I can travel faster with a Ford diesel pulling a trailer than I ever could with the old cars from the 50s and 60s. I physically just do not like to drive more than about 6 hours a day. We used to average 700 miles a day, sometimes we would go 1,000. Not anymore.

A big rig is like a big boat. You have to learn not to oversteer.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like driving cars anymore, with one hip, both knees replaced and with stenosis of the lumbar spine it is hard to sit for long periods of time even in the DW's 2018 Explorer. I absolutely love the captain's seats in both the Bounder and the Winnie. They make you sit upright and should for everyone, reduce fatigue from the tight bend of your torso and knees.

Visibility is so much better in an "A" than even my old F-150. Not only do you have a wider field of view, you can see further ahead. I also have come to love the rear view camera. Truckers are not as friendly as they used to be and are not as likely to give you a flash when it's safe to pull back in the right hand lane when passing. Today the depth perception is a little less and that rear view camera is essential, I don't think I'd like side view cameras, too much time off the traffic but that rear view camera is fantastic.

I do have a Steer Safe system and good bushings on everything. I do need new shocks and that will come after the holidays are over and before the next trip.

When I was working traffic signal construction, I could parallel part a deuce and a half with a stinger crane and pulling one of our big 125 compressors, today not so much but I did rack up a lot of miles towing and it is no big deal now.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II