cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost a pin on the tow bar. Don't use these pins!!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was headed north on I-95 near Ormond Beach and noticed the toad was wandering around and only one side of the tow bar connected.

Slowly coasted in N and pulled off, not using any brakes.

A pin was missing and I was towing with one arm. I unhitched, moved the car and reattached, no damage done. I always carry spare hitch pins.

I had been using the hitch pins with the swivel latch and the best I can figure is the little Chinese rivet fell out and the latch fell off. I KNOW I flipped it around.

I wont be using those anymore.

Scared the bejesus out of me.

Like these. CLICKY
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.
37 REPLIES 37

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
outside in. Traveling that way since 2008, replaced 1 pin due to loss.
And yes most if not all are from overseas
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
rgatijnet1 wrote:
After many years of towing with a tow bar, I noticed that the pins would always move in one direction. Because of that I always insert my pins from the inside to the outside so that the keeper for the pin is on the outside. I know some will say that it does not matter which direction you put the pins in but I have found out differently. In any case, by installing the pins this way, it puts no pressure on the locking pin. Pin install example
I have noticed the same thing and always install pins from the inside also even though the safty chain is close to the pin end.

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
I will not use that style of pin for a different reason. I tried to install one, and the clip activated INSIDE the receiver. I had to buy a small grinder, metal disks to get it out, and then buy a different style.
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://blueox.com/products/tow-bar/84-0140-kit-tow-bar-pins-with-clip-2-each/

These hitch pins are the only ones that I'll use....
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will start watching. I install mine so the keeper is away from the safety chain.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a problem with ours coming out but like stated above, we put them on from the inside out.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
After many years of towing with a tow bar, I noticed that the pins would always move in one direction. Because of that I always insert my pins from the inside to the outside so that the keeper for the pin is on the outside. I know some will say that it does not matter which direction you put the pins in but I have found out differently. In any case, by installing the pins this way, it puts no pressure on the locking pin. Pin install example

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good to know! I noticed early on that the pins in tow bar always crept to one side while under way. If I install them one way, the keeper clip rides up against the "knuckle", so if the keeper fell out or I forgot to put it in, the pin would eventually work its way out completely. If the pins are installed the other way, they ride up against the bent end and stay in place even with no keeper clip in place. I marked the connector knuckles so I always insert the pins the right way now.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate