cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maceators

Irish_Reb
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone out there using one of these? Do they make dumping easier? Are they worth purchasing? Suggestions welcome.
27 REPLIES 27

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
You could build your own Macerator Pump 🙂

What a great and creative idea
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
When you are pumping up hill, what happens to the liqued in the hose when you are done pumping and roll it up?

of course if you use a stinky slinky, you will always, regardless whether you are draining down hill, up hill, or sideways, will have at least a cup of "stuff" in the slinky corrugations that has to be disposed of anyway.
bumpy

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
Dusty R wrote:
When you are pumping up hill, what happens to the liqued in the hose when you are done pumping and roll it up?

you do exactly like you have to do if you are using a stinky slinky only it is much easier and cleaner to do it with a 1 inch hose.
bumpy

What is not being said is that the process is much slower. The macerator does work however it takes a lot longer for the stuff to flow through the smaller hose.
There is also not a strong flow or rush of stuff leaving the tank through the 3" stinky slinky.. Instead stuff slowly leaves the tank which results in lots of residuals left behind.
In the end the entire process takes a lot longer with a macerator.
Macerators can be worthwhile and are invaluable if there is no place to dump via gravity close by. Macerators are also useful for pumping waste into a tote located in the back of a truck.
Nevertheless the stinky slinky is a more effective,simpler solution when a typical gravity fed sewer connection is available.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:

you do exactly like you have to do if you are using a stinky slinky only it is much easier and cleaner to do it with a 1 inch hose.
bumpy

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
beachcomber_1 wrote:
Main problem I have with ours is lack of fast flow from tank. Need to do extra back flush to make sure everything solid leaves the tank.

that is why they invented black tank sprayers. I could dump at my convenience, not limited to time or place.
bumpy

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
Main problem I have with ours is lack of fast flow from tank. Need to do extra back flush to make sure everything solid leaves the tank.

1donald
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular for six plus years & the Macerator worked great all those years, never a problem other than going with a different more flexible hose. Bought a 2013 LTV Unity TB last June & came standard with 3" slinky, we opted to go with the optional Macerator Pump & have never used the slinky which is available should we ever need it. Have never used the 3" slinky & would be a new experience for me should the situation ever come up. We love the Macerator.
Don & Jean
2013 LTV Unity TB (Diesel Generator)(Stabilizer Jacks)(Macerator)(Side Turn Camera)(Entertainment Pkg)
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
Had one on my Roadtrek (179...B Class). It was the worse feature on the rig...figured it was just a matter of time (little time) before that motor was going to burn up. Had my new rig (Class C, 24' Born Free) had one, I probably wouldn't have bought it!

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our rig has a macerator pump "setup" like this one. I like it because the entire setup is very convenient. The hose storage, the control buttons, etc. it's a very clean and friendly way to dump. Coming up on 7 years with no troubles.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a Sewer Solution for over a year. It is very nice - when I have water.

I've recently purchased the Sani-Con system. Because the Sewer Solution can't be used to dump into a tote, and can't be used when dry camping where some dumps don't have water available.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I have encountered so many uphill sewer openings, I almost wonder if that is the norm rather than the exception. Without a macerator pump, I can either "walk" the poop down the hose, or use a Sewer Solution. The Sewer Solution is usable, but it requires a lot of water, and I may not have it available. So, the ideal is both. If the dump port is downhill, out comes the slinky. If it is higher, then I unsling the macerator hose.

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I own a flojet macerator and I do not think it's easier. I preger to use the stinky slinky when possible.
However as mentioned the macerator allows one to dump up hill using a large diameter garden hose. The macerator creates more options for dumping an can be invaluable in a pinch

We have one, and I agree with this. We bought it when we had our Euro-styled lower-profile TT, where the valves were lower to the ground and it was almost a necessity (the slinky juggling got really old really fast.) We also liked using it to dump into a blue tote in the bed of the truck on longer trips without hookups. But with the Winnie we have larger capacity tanks so we really don't need to dump mid week. And with the valve a bit higher we prefer to just use the slinky, it is faster and less messing with. But we do carry it and like having the option for longer runs or wierd uphill sewer openings.
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

Dastagg
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Just make sure the hose is connected to the outlet pipe and not the cleanout!!

Yes, haha, been there, done that........once!