cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medicine while traveling.

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, I have been wondering how I will get my medicine while traveling. I can only get one month at a time and I am planning a trip that will be two or more months long. Any ideas? I have no family of friends along the way.

Thanks

Buster
43 REPLIES 43

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Doin'it wrote:
If your prescription is for a controlled substance, a pain patch for example, you must hand carry the prescription to the pharmacy. It can only be written for 30 days and It can't be phoned in or transferred. We have had the doctor mail the prescription to General Delivery and picked up from the post office, then taken to WalMart. Not something we like to do, and try to plan travels to avoid this, but sometimes it has to be done this way.

True.

The DEA has made life more difficult for the chronic pain patient, as if it weren't painful enough. The doctor must see you ~ every three months to continue to dispense pain meds.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Tree House wrote:
We have refilled Walgreens prescriptions at their stores in Alaska, Colorado and Wisconsin. In these cases, we have called the local pharmacy to make sure they can do it with no problems.

Just recently we were able to have our doctor in Ohio call (or e-script?) a new prescription in to a Walgreens in Wisconsin. I was surprised as I thought many states did not allow prescriptions from an out of state doctor, but I guess that is not the case.

Now that 90 day prescriptions for maintenance drugs are common, we don't need to get refills as often and have more of a cushion.

you don't really need to go to all that trouble. your doc can send the script to your home pharmacy. when you're ready to refill just go online to the walgreen's website (create the free account first), refill the script and before checkout just select the store at which you want to pick up. that's all there is. some insurance plans will not authorize more than a 30-day supply for out-of-state but otherwise we've had no issues refilling any script at any walgreen's.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Doin_it
Explorer
Explorer
If your prescription is for a controlled substance, a pain patch for example, you must hand carry the prescription to the pharmacy. It can only be written for 30 days and It can't be phoned in or transferred. We have had the doctor mail the prescription to General Delivery and picked up from the post office, then taken to WalMart. Not something we like to do, and try to plan travels to avoid this, but sometimes it has to be done this way.
2014 35' Itasca Suncruiser
2013 Jeep Wrangler

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
doc brown wrote:
No problem, I use CVS.

Unfortunately they are not in all of the lower 48 states or Alaska. No CVS pharmacy in SD, OR, WY, CO, ID, or WA, so if you limit your travels, you are good to go.

My meds are on a three month renewal cycle so I have never had an issue since I have not stayed in the northwest for more than three months. But I can see how it could be if you stay in one of those states for a prolonged period.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Call your doctor when you get to one of the cities that you will be in and have your Dr. call the script into nearest national chain.
Yes this'll work, and docs realize that's the way it is these days, but you can't believe how annoying this is at the doc's office.

This is the type of thing that is driving experienced docs out of business. Do them a small favor by taking care of this before you leave, or via a pharmacy web site.

Tree_House
Explorer
Explorer
And no CVS in Alaska either.

You can get any pharmacy where you are to call the pharmacy where the prescription is and transfer it.

I had called CVS to confirm this last year, although didn't use it. Was going to use Walmart. But if not a "preferred" network pharmacy, your co-pay could be more.

I've also had prescriptions covered at non-network pharmacies when there was no network pharmacy nearby by turning in the receipt. Called customer service first to confirm.

I'm getting ready to submit a receipt to my medicare part D plan for a prescription (not a maintenance drug) filled at a medical clinic in Grand Teton park where I was treated and where the nearest drug store was 30-50 miles from the campground and in the opposite direction. There is a form to complete. Not sure it is worth it and how much I might get back. Copay would have been $3 in network and I paid $26 OON.

Sometime you pay more for convenience!

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to Myprimemail that handles my meds. They informed me they can forward them or have me pick them up at a national chain that is on their list. I haven't seen their list yet. But my trip is a year and half away. Things my change when I retire too. Thanks for all the help and ideas.

Buster

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Watch out for NY. At home we use Walmart for our prescriptions. We traveled to NY and needed a refill. NY Walmart was able to refill our prescription but stated NY cancels the rest of the available refills. You then need to get a Dr to rewrite the prescription.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
doc brown wrote:
No problem, I use CVS.

Unfortunately they are not in all of the lower 48 states or Alaska. No CVS pharmacy in SD, OR, WY, CO, ID, or WA, so if you limit your travels, you are good to go.

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Buster52 wrote:
I left something out. My medical insurance has me getting my meds mail order. Sorry I should have included it.

Buster

No problem. We have them, too. You can change your delivery address with them to any postal address, even general delivery. If you are staying long enough, post office box or some campgrounds accept mail.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
We have fulltimed for over three years. No stick and bricks.
Walgreens, works well for us. Just go on line and order from the one closest!

Tree_House
Explorer
Explorer
I can't tell if Express Scripts Tricare for Life is using the same website as Tricare for active military, but according to their Tricare website FAQ's, Express Scripts / Tricare will send prescriptions to a temporary address:

"What do I do if I have more than one address?
To add a temporary address with a start and end date or to change an address, sign in to your online account and update your information or call 877.363.1303."

You could try the on-line account option to see if you can enter a temporary address like it says.

We have refilled Walgreens prescriptions at their stores in Alaska, Colorado and Wisconsin. In these cases, we have called the local pharmacy to make sure they can do it with no problems.

Just recently we were able to have our doctor in Ohio call (or e-script?) a new prescription in to a Walgreens in Wisconsin. I was surprised as I thought many states did not allow prescriptions from an out of state doctor, but I guess that is not the case.

Now that 90 day prescriptions for maintenance drugs are common, we don't need to get refills as often and have more of a cushion.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Call your doctor when you get to one of the cities that you will be in and have your Dr. call the script into nearest national chain.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
No problem, I use CVS.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox