cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mexico Beach, Fl to Mobile Al

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
So we left Mexico Beach this morning heading for Mobile.
MapQuest said 3 hrs. 30 minutes. It ended up being 4 1/2 hrs.
I used the GPS and had the scariest 3 1/2 hrs. I can recall.
I am sure everyone has been in strip mall traffic. Lots of stop lights, lots of crazy drivers. Imagine 100 miles of strip malls!!!
That was route 98 in Florida. I was a nervous wreck by the time we left that road. Without exaggeration we ran into at least 150 stop lights. I would not wish that trip on my worst enemy.
Good news is we made it with no crushed skulls or crinkled metal.
Life is good.
23 REPLIES 23

lmheadd
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know the length of a 38 foot everest 5thwheel awning I want to buy a shade screen before we go to florida. I was thinking of a 16 foot by 8 foot advertised by amazon but I am not near my 5thwheel

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
Been there done that. Very pretty. I don't mind the traffic. Just go slow and enjoy the ride. If you are in a hurry got I-10.

The_Shadow_Nos
Explorer
Explorer
We liked route 98 it was enjoyable. Stayed at Ho Him RV Park shore line sites pull in nice view of the gulf.
2005 Allegro Bus
400 HP Cummins
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups wrote:
retiredtravelers2013 wrote:
Just followed the link. Looks like a real neat place. We shall go there.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Keld

It is a great place..don't miss it

X2. We, especially the DW, do not like Cracker Barrel, but she really loves Lamberts Cafe. Food is excellent!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Keld

It is a great place..don't miss it....BUT...you missed some great places from Mexico Beach to Mobile......there are so many great campgrounds in that area ...and some good places to eat....safe travels...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Keld

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lambert's Cafe----Home of The Throwed Rolls........LINK

Pretty good food.....lots of it.
Sides are brought around to tables and hot dinner rolls are thrown to you.
Stick your hand up and you will have a roll flying across the room right to you.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Rustic Sands in Mexico Beach for 15 days. We loved it. And the beaches are out of this world.
So what is Lamberts?

alkillion
Explorer
Explorer
Have driven between Perry, Fl and Pensacola, Fl many times. Love driving on old 98. I usually make the trip during the week, traffic is not near as bad. Have stayed at a lot of campgrounds in that area. Love St. George Island State Park and Gulf Islands National Seashore-Fort Pickens in Pensacola. Over by Mobile, make sure you go to Lamberts!
May the Forza be with us!
2014 Winnebago Forza 34T
340 hp Cummins
Allison 6 speed
2006 Jeep Wrangler toad

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Strip malls and condos are not our thing.
We have air brakes and a brake buddy in the toad. However we are still moving 30,000 lbs. and do not stop like a car. I wish the car drivers would recognize that. Come to think of it; Before we started traveling in the RV I often did stupid stuff in front of big scary trucks. Guess I'm lucky those truck drivers were well experienced.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I never get nervous driving..........others just need to get out of my way :B

I'm never in a hurry (if you have to hurry should have left earlier).

I just go with the flow. Truck and 5vr are well matched so driving/stopping it isn't a lot different than truck alone.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
We actually were not in any hurry to get anywhere. We left at 9:15 and just wanted to get to Mobile before dark. I do not drive in dark anymore.
My major problem with the drive was the 150 stop lights, strip malls for 100 miles and horrible traffic. We like doing back roads as well just not 100 miles of condos and strip malls.

Totally agree.

We have gone coast to coast on back roads but that stretch of 98 just isn't worth it (unless strip malls and condos are your thing).

Again, east of Panama City (see my earlier post) is GREAT.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We actually were not in any hurry to get anywhere. We left at 9:15 and just wanted to get to Mobile before dark. I do not drive in dark anymore.
My major problem with the drive was the 150 stop lights, strip malls for 100 miles and horrible traffic. We like doing back roads as well just not 100 miles of condos and strip malls.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the map, I would say that your feeling concerning Rt 98 were right on. Just like A1A on the other coast. Good routes to stay away from if you want to get some where fast. But also good routes if you are not in a hurry and wish to enjoy the local coastal flavor!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€