cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michelin LTX M/S Tires Issue

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I had a blowout on a Michelin 225/75/R16 on the 31 foot MH. The authorized Michelin dealer inspected it and determined it was not a road hazard.

They came on my 2011 MH and date codes show them about 3 years old.
LTX M/S Load Range 'E', Have TPMS, Pressures were good, Under load limits.

Now I had a second one do the same thing. The pictures of them look very similar. On the first one, Michelin prorated the warranty and I got a new tire for about $35 plus install.

But now I'm worried about the other tires left on the MH. I want to ask Michelin to replace all of them with their newer model since the old model has been discontinued.

Anyone have any insight or opinions on this? (like I have to ask 🙂

Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB
17 REPLIES 17

Roger_Ohio
Explorer
Explorer
Heish wrote:
Isn't this type of incident what instigates recalls?

Response deleted by author. Safe travels to all
I'm outta here

G_GT
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Interesting post. I just went out and checked my front tires. They were made April, 2010, and were on my 2011 chateau citation when purchased new. The unfortunate thing about this is that last summer while on a trip through SD i had all four rear tires replaced due to signs of seperation.The front tires were deemed to be ok at the time. The four rear tires are history, but thanks to this post, i will try to have the two fron tires replaced under the recall. The front tires developed a bad shimmey after about 5000 miles that could never be balanced out.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
jdog wrote:
They owe you a refund due to the RECALL!

True that...
Dan and Nickie

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
They owe you a refund due to the RECALL!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
RECALL
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Heish
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't this type of incident what instigates recalls?

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
fighterpilota wrote:
I just checked the MH we just bought. We have the same tires. Do I go to the nearest Michelin dealer and talk with them to see what they can do? Or?????Thanks

Ford puts LTX MS, whatever version is Michelin's current OEM at time of chassis build, on all E-450s ordered with tje RV upfit option. This means almost everybody has the same tire. A small proportion of owners have tread separations.

What a dealer can do is replace a tire that has failed with a new one, maybe pro-rated. I think it unlikely that one would get replacement with a higher grade tire based on someone else had a failure with this type of tire.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
fighterpilota wrote:
I just checked the MH we just bought. We have the same tires. Do I go to the nearest Michelin dealer and talk with them to see what they can do? Or?????Thanks

You would need to start a claim with Michelin first.
I called 800-847-3435. They transferred me to the Motorhome Dept. after taking some info. They seem to want to be very helpful.
Dan and Nickie

fighterpilota
Explorer
Explorer

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
BroncosFan wrote:
How To File a Tire Failure Complaint

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26576898.cfm

Tire Failure Analysis

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26576852.cfm

Thanks for the info.......
Dan and Nickie

bdipper
Explorer
Explorer
bdipper wrote:
I recently had tread loss from OEM 225 16 Michelin LTX on a 2011 E450. 33,000 miles. Did not lose pressure and tires were not hot or overloaded. Discount Tire replaced for $35. RV not at home, so I am not positive but believe original the replacement were M S, not M S 2.
Not sure what is going on here, but I am a bit nervous about the other 5 tires.
Ralph

As a follow-up, dealer did inspect the other tires.
Ralph

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Dan,

I know what you printed in your OP, but ... just as a double-check ... was your destroyed tire "M&S" or "M&S2"?

I would have thought that Michelin was no longer making M&S tires and all inventories, everywhere, had been purged by the time your RV was built? Otherwise, why did Michelin introduce the new M&S2 design in the first place? If I'm right, I wonder why/how your 2011 RV still came with the M&S tires?

When my M&S tires needed replacing in 2011 I became aware of the new M&S2 tire and specifically directed the tire shop to NOT install the over-20-year-old-design M&S tire. The M&S2 uses some different materials in it's construction and I'm hoping that this fairly new design solves the aging problems that are occuring with the older M&S tire.

It was the M/S that came apart. They replaced the spare last week with the M/S2. I did talk to one dealer at that time that said they still had at least one M/S in stock.

To bdipper: I would call Michelin and talk to them. I think they know there is a problem with these tires.

To one of the other poster: I have not driven over 65 on this trip, and have never gone even 70 for any length of time.

UPDATE: when I talked with Michelin this morning, the rep suggested that they have a dealer inspect all the original tires.
Dan and Nickie

bdipper
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had tread loss from OEM 225 16 Michelin LTX on a 2011 E450. 33,000 miles. Did not lose pressure and tires were not hot or overloaded. Discount Tire replaced for $35. RV not at home, so I am not positive but believe original the replacement were M S, not M S 2.
Not sure what is going on here, but I am a bit nervous about the other 5 tires.
Ralph

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan,

I know what you printed in your OP, but ... just as a double-check ... was your destroyed tire "M&S" or "M&S2"?

I would have thought that Michelin was no longer making M&S tires and all inventories, everywhere, had been purged by the time your RV was built? Otherwise, why did Michelin introduce the new M&S2 design in the first place? If I'm right, I wonder why/how your 2011 RV still came with the M&S tires?

When my M&S tires needed replacing in 2011 I became aware of the new M&S2 tire and specifically directed the tire shop to NOT install the over-20-year-old-design M&S tire. The M&S2 uses some different materials in it's construction and I'm hoping that this fairly new design solves the aging problems that are occuring with the older M&S tire.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C