cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microwave not working, convection OK

wheelygoode
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a microwave convection oven. The convection part works just fine, but the microwave part does not. Light goes on, fan goes on, very noisily, turntable turns, but no heat. Any suggestions?
1997 Airstream LandYacht 30
6 REPLIES 6

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would check the ceramic fuse first, they are cheap and easy to replace.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would search for a new microwave to replace your unit. Just the labor and parts cost to repair your older unit will probably buy a new microwave with more features.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dead magnetron. It happens sometimes gracefully (slowly as in stuff takes longer to cook) or all at once (worked this morning just fine). Might be more cost effective to replace the oven over repair but doesn't hurt to check.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Brand and model?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
The one most common fault in any microwave oven (aside from the fuse) is a bad door interlock switch. There are two of them, and they are relatively easy to replace, and can usually be purchased at any leading electronics parts supply. Also check the wire connections to those switches; often they show signs of overheating, and simply need trimming and reconnecting with a new connector.
Repairs beyond that are out of the realm of the DIYer, as they involve replacing capacitors, HV diodes, magnetrons (unlikely), etc.
I'm assuming that the fuse is good, as you say the unit does appear to have power.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
I would suspect the magnetron. This is what produces the microwave radiation and could be a bit pricy. NOT a fix it your self item. Microwave circuitry can be complex and dangerous. Best to take it in to a repair shop. Or, depending on age might be time for a new one. magnetrons usually fail very soon (warranty) or will last a long time if not abused (micro wave run with nothing (or very small amounts) in it. Like reving an engine with no load.

It could also be a fuse which is again probably for the shop.