cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mineral Oil In Batteries - My Update

Bruce_Brown
About a year ago it was time for new batteries. The old ones had served us well with almost 9 years of use but their time had passed.

While cleaning up the battery bay I decided on this set of batteries I'd try the mineral oil trick/recommendation.

It's been almost a year and all I can say is wow - it works. The batteries seem to perform well and take a look at the battery bay - needless to say I'd recommend it and we'd do it again;

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910
13 REPLIES 13

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very interesting, never heard of doing this.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I just did some research last week on the subject and went to a battery manufactures site and they didn't mention it one way or the other.

Might give it a try on my two batteries as they are about 7 years old so I can't do too much damage as I will probably replace next year. New rotors and brake pads broke the budget this year.

On another point....

Your pictures are a textbook example of why people should take a picture of their battery wiring BEFORE removing the batteries.

How many times have we seen posts on here where a person replaced their batteries and wired the new ones up the wrong way.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Bruce_Brown
Don,
I'm not a big fan of gimmicks, but seeing as we got 9 years out of the first set of batteries I think our charger is working pretty well.

I was hesitant to try the oil but figured worst case I'd junk some cheap batteries, that's part of the reason I waited a year to post my findings. At this point I see adding the oil as nothing but a positive for us.

As with everything posted here, if it works for someone else, great. If someone chooses not to try it that's ok too.
Bruce & Jill Brown

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my Diplomat new in 2005, I always had battery acid build up in my battery bay. I added the specialty "water miser" battery caps and mineral oil. This cut down on the acid, but didn't solve it. I was new to owning a DP with multiple batteries and just didn't know better. Later on, we were camping with friends who also had a Monaco Diplomat and I looked in his battery bay and it was dry and dusty. It was then that I found out my battery charger was overcharging the batteries.

When we got home, I called Magnum Inverters and they walked me through setting up my charger. After it was correctly set, I never had another issue. Now, I make sure my charger is set correctly and use the ProFill automatic battery watering system. I never touch my batteries and it takes me less than 5 minutes to completely fill all six.

No offense, but all the gimmicks, which I tried, are just a bandaid for the real problem. The reason that mineral oil was popular years ago, especially with large manufacturers, was due to poor quality battery chargers that cooked batteries versus the new ones which use sophisticated sensors and slow down charging as the battery becomes completely charged.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Looking on the internet, there is a fair bit of information. The jury seems to be out on it, but it does not appear to do any harm long term.

There is even a product especially made for it Called "ThermOil Demister"..... Click Here

Most of the information I could see says to put between 1/8" and 1/4" of Mineral Oil in each cell (4 oz.??)

The one consistent positive comment I did see was that it greatly reduces corrosion of the terminals. That in itself is probably justification for trying it.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
What's the purpose? Create a barrier against evaporation?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bruce_Brown
Moondaddy wrote:
How much mineral oil in each cell? Will be checking batteries today or tomorrow getting ready for holiday.

bjbear wrote:
Sounds interesting.... This is the first I have heard of puttyng mineral oil in batteries. I did a search on the forum, but did not find any discussion about it. Can you point me to where I can get more info?

Keith has it right. Going from memory here...when I was looking it seemed I found some who recommended an ounce per cell, other recommended 2 oz per cell, I think I did 1.5 oz per cell.
Bruce & Jill Brown

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
I did this same thing many years ago on the recommendation of Interstate battery rep. after my asking about this procedure. He said put 2 oz. pharmacy grade mineral oil in each cell after letting the electrolyte go down a little bit and then only adding water to 1/4" above the plates. Results: I've had zero corrosion issues, only add water once a year or less, dry battery compartment and batteries lasted over 8 years.
Did this to my new Trojans upon installation 3 years ago with similar results. A lot of people have said humbug but the proof is in the battery compartment LOL. Keith
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Google should have lots of hits.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds interesting.... This is the first I have heard of puttyng mineral oil in batteries. I did a search on the forum, but did not find any discussion about it. Can you point me to where I can get more info?
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

Moondaddy
Explorer
Explorer
How much mineral oil in each cell? Will be checking batteries today or tomorrow getting ready for holiday.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:

While cleaning up the battery bay I decided on this set of batteries I'd try the mineral oil trick/recommendation.

For those of us who haven't been active on here for the last 15 years......please explain what you DO with the mineral oil.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for sharing your results.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.