cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Miramar vs Hurricane vs Newmar

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
The wife and I went to the Tampa RV Supershow this past weekend. I think this is our 6th or 7th show now. We purchased a TT back in July of 2011 and we have been researching Class A motorhomes the last few years. The last two shows, we had pretty much made up our minds that we wanted a Newmar 3401. We really like the floorplan and the quality.

Fast forward to Saturday. I had seen as add for a Hurricane 35M in the recent motorhome magazine. I knew the quality wouldn't be the same but the "bang for the buck" price was really intriguing. We looked at this model and the wife fell in love with the floorplan. We also looked at the same floorplan Windsport but we liked the colors and floor options better in the Hurricane. The fit an finish was OK. Nothing great but it didn't feel cheap or anything.

Then I made the mistake of going back to the show Sunday. Right across from the Hurricanes were the Miramars. The Miramar 35.3 is exactly the same floorplan as the Hurricane and Windsport 35M. The Miramar had the full body paint, had 22.5 inch wheels vs 19.5 on the Hurricane. The taller tires gave quite a bit more storage space underneath. Inside, the cabinets and hinges were much better quality as was the furniture. Of course, this model was $20K more. I found the quality of the Miramar similar to the Newmar models we looked at. I see all the postings about "don't buy Thor" but I read the same thing about Forest River when we purchased our current Surveyor TT. So, does anyone of the forum have a Miramar RV and if so what are your opinions? The sales person mentioned that the Miramar had the More Ride (called something like that) suspension with Blistein shocks and front and rear anti-sway bars that the Hurricane didn't have. I looked at the brochure when I got home and couldn't find any info on the suspension. The wife originally said we could buy the Hurricane and then get the Motorhome we want in 7-8 years but I would rather get what we want now and then keep it a long time. I hate the depreciation on new RVs but I figure if I get the model I want, I can keep it a long time and won't have any reason to upgrade later. It's just to two of us and our dogs.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
64 REPLIES 64

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
"Although it does have workable countertop space over the stove. It has a solid countertop that sits on top of the stove and also the sink".

That is the answer many salespeople give us when we point out the lack of counterspace in many motorhome floorplans. It won't do you much good while you're cooking though (because you'll be needing the sink and stove).....and that's when you need it the most.

My wife and I have come to the conclusion that many people who buy motorhomes must eat out most of the time and not do much cooking. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
golfknut wrote:
My wife would never like the 35.3.
It looks to have very little kitchen counter space. ๐Ÿ˜‰

That is definitely one negative to that floor plan. That's really the only thing the wife didn't like about it. Although it does have workable countertop space over the stove. It has a solid countertop that sits on top of the stove and also the sink.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Georgia Popcorn wrote:
Effy wrote:
Hanko hates Thor. Although I am not sure why, I don't think he's ever owned one.

They both turn to poop in a few months! I have discovered it's our money, spend it wisely...

Sorry, I have no idea what you are trying to say. Did you respond to the correct post?
2013 ACE 29.2

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
My wife would never like the 35.3.
It looks to have very little kitchen counter space. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513

Georgia_Popcorn
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Hanko hates Thor. Although I am not sure why, I don't think he's ever owned one.

They both turn to poop in a few months! I have discovered it's our money, spend it wisely...

OOPS, WRONG QUOTE, WRONG POST...Please delete
2019---35M THOR Hurricane
2016 Cadillac SRX Toad
Blue Ox

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
I think I got the picture from the 37.1 mixed with the 35.2 as far as a second TV in the front of the coach, sorry about that misinformation.

I think the best viewing angles would be from the Theater Seats and the front Passenger seat when turned.

Thor did update the MIRAMAR site on their main page, LOTS of 35.2 pictures now available in the "Gallery".

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
stvdman wrote:
Not for nothing... A couple things that attracted us to the Miramar 35.2 over the 35.3:
The bed is not in a slide on the 35.2, when its COLD out, that cold moves right up under you when the slide is out. We use a heated blanket under us which pretty much eliminates the issue but when we didn't have one, it was a little uncomfortable.

Opposing slides on the 35.2. When slides are deployed it REALLY opens up the floorplan. It just feels MUCH better IMO. Lots of room.

TV Angles in 35.2. Although we don't plan on watching a lot of TV, we have found ourselves stuck in the coach at times, mostly due to wx. The two TV's in the 35.2 have great viewing angles from the Theater Seats (which we found quite comfy) and the other TV from the front seats when swivled.

One thing we REALLY liked about the 35.3...MEGA STORAGE, you never seem to have enough storage area and that thing holds a LOT!

I still maintain that the floorplans and basics offered by THOR on this lineup are far better than similar TIFFIN and NEWMAR. Quality of build and materials used are certainly more suspect in the THORS. I just can not find a TIFFIN or NEWMAR floor plan I like equally or better than the THOR's...for me/us.

stvdman

I have been checking out the Miramar 35.2. The wife is really liking the theater seating and the openness of this model. The only thing I don't like is if siting on the couch, the TV is behind you. You would have to sit in the theater seating to be able to see the TV. On the Miramar website, the floorplan shows a second TV on the side of the bathroom that could be seen while sitting on the couch. On several of the 35.2 models I see for sale online, they don't have that TV installed. Was the additional TV an option?

Burch

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
stvdman wrote:
Except if the motors get out of "sync". We aren't too scared of full wall slides anymore. a little concerned with electrical wiring and plumbing in slides (water and propane), mostly out of ignorance..I just imagine those pipes/wires moving around everytime the slides move...
Two excellent points!

There is a process for resyncing the motors that Thor uses that is pretty simple - the same motors are also used for the over the cab bunks.

The second point we learned the hard way - any plumbing in a slide is subject to becoming loose and causing flooding. We learned that via experience in our older RV - the kitchen was in the wall slide and some of the flex tubes used would detach from time to time, drenching the cabinet underneath and floor area. When looking for a new RV, that was on the "must have" list. Nobody wants to be scared of turning the water on and having to check for water running out from under the sink...
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
stvdman wrote:
I will NEVER understand WHY you would put a TV in a location that has you either looking UP at it or to a side angle..don't need that frustration in LIFE! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I agree. I hate where the couch is 90 degrees from the TV. Who wants to sit with their neck turned sideways? I don't watch much TV but this type of floor plan really annoys me. That's why I really like the floor plans with the L shaped couch with the angled TV.

It's perfect for those of us that stretch out on the sofa to watch tv!
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
From what I can tell THOR had a REAL problem with their full wall slides, others somewhat, but THORS with the schwintek's seemed to have it MUCH worse. They went to the "3-TRAX" system, ugraded many existing customers 2-TRAX to 3-TRAX and most report issues are MUCH improved. Except if the motors get out of "sync". We aren't too scared of full wall slides anymore. a little concerned with electrical wiring and plumbing in slides (water and propane), mostly out of ignorance..I just imagine those pipes/wires moving around everytime the slides move...

COLDEST night ever spent in our current rig was in Dunnellon FL during New Years a few years back. Was like 24 degrees...THATS when we found out about cold coming up through an open slide!

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
stvdman wrote:
Not for nothing... A couple things that attracted us to the Miramar 35.2 over the 35.3:
The bed is not in a slide on the 35.2, when its COLD out, that cold moves right up under you when the slide is out. We use a heated blanket under us which pretty much eliminates the issue but when we didn't have one, it was a little uncomfortable.

Opposing slides on the 35.2. When slides are deployed it REALLY opens up the floorplan. It just feels MUCH better IMO. Lots of room.

TV Angles in 35.2. Although we don't plan on watching a lot of TV, we have found ourselves stuck in the coach at times, mostly due to wx. The two TV's in the 35.2 have great viewing angles from the Theater Seats (which we found quite comfy) and the other TV from the front seats when swivled.

One thing we REALLY liked about the 35.3...MEGA STORAGE, you never seem to have enough storage area and that thing holds a LOT!

I still maintain that the floorplans and basics offered by THOR on this lineup are far better than similar TIFFIN and NEWMAR. Quality of build and materials used are certainly more suspect in the THORS. I just can not find a TIFFIN or NEWMAR floor plan I like equally or better than the THOR's...for me/us.

Thank you very much for your opinions. Cold weather won't affect us much since we live in Florida. In the 5 1/2 years we have owned our current TT, I think I have only used the furnace 3 or 4 times. I know a lot of people really like the Tiffins but we just didn't find any we like. We really like the Newmar Baystar 3401, but I am afraid of the full wall slides. It seems like 90% of the posts I see about slide problems are for full wall slides. I understand that Newmar makes their own slides but I am still gun shy.

Burch

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
wredman wrote:
Another option with the floor plan you like is the Winnebago Vista LX 35f.

Thanks for this info. I didn't get around to the Winnebagos during our trip to the show. This is a very similar floor plan. Unfortunately it has a queen bed and the wife is wanting a king.

Burch

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
bagman wrote:
To the original poster, we've been RV'ing since 1994 and of the 3 class A's you mentioned, I would buy the Newmar product. You can never go wrong with quality! The others will cost less and there is a reason for that! We have toured the Newmar factory and they build a quality motor home! No offense to the other manufacturers, but that is MHO. Bagman.

I have no complaints about the Newmar Baystar. We really like the Baystar 3401. I am just hesitant about the full length slide. As far as costing less, the Newmar costs less than the Miramar but the Miramar is slightly longer and has a bath and a half.

wredman
Explorer
Explorer
Another option with the floor plan you like is the Winnebago Vista LX 35f.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34F