cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moped rack

valderee
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 24-foot class C motor home, which I am taking cross country. I would like to bring my 50 cc moped (200#) I am looking at a “tilt-a-rack” carrier. Has anyone had experience with this? I should say that I am in my 70’s and although I will have traveling companions to help, I would like to be able to load and unload by myself.
6 REPLIES 6

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:

I purchased one of these for my Honda Ruckus. It's fat short tires required me to weld some minor alterations. The original ramp was replaced with a longer one. If your tires are taller it would work fine. It hangs off my 30ft. and only scrapes on unrealistic and poorly designed entryways for fuel and supplies stores. I couldn't build it myself for the cost from the e bay seller.

Hi slow replying as traveling and no internet. We use the above rack and you can see http://footlooserv.com/motorcycle_-_scooter_rack.htm tyhe installation and improvements we have done. Using a piece of wood in the centre allows a fatter tyre to go through the framing and then to position it stays in. Our Rowdy 150 is heavy and drives on easy but not soi eaSY to pull back off (always use the same side, although i guess you could drive off the other)
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
I've been very happy with the TravelRite Travel Rack. Have had others and have helped buddies with theirs, this has been the best. It's light in weight, approx.35# (for some reason the advertised weight is 75#), it has only one shin buster, most have two and it has a simple anti rattle system that works.

I use a simple ramp, a 4' plank with a bent metal tab on the end to keep it in place. No problem loading a 200# 100cc trail bike.

A simple modification that will work with any ramp is to add a 2" dolly wheel to one end of the ramp and you can roll it like a wheelbarrow to your MH (I have a long driveway).

Norm
F1BNorm

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II

I purchased one of these for my Honda Ruckus. It's fat short tires required me to weld some minor alterations. The original ramp was replaced with a longer one. If your tires are taller it would work fine. It hangs off my 30ft. and only scrapes on unrealistic and poorly designed entryways for fuel and supplies stores. I couldn't build it myself for the cost from the e bay seller.

valderee
Explorer
Explorer
I think the small wheels of the moped (Genuine Buddy) causes it to get stuck in the grooves of the rack that I have. The hydraulic carrier-is that the one that uses a bottle jack? The ones that cost over $1000 are just too expensive. I have a 50 cc bike because I didn’t want to get a special motorcycle license.

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had a tilt a rack back in the day. It's ok. No better than the amc400 when get down to it. Best I've used is a "motorcycle jack" hydraulic, don't have to fight for position as much. Easier and you know it's not going anywhere no strap tied owns too loose, too tight, or broken. Do have to ask thi, for 200 lbs + why don't u get something more useful such as a tw200, xt225, some such? Those are around 260 lbs but carry more and speed makes them safer. Good luck

YWORRYDOG
Explorer
Explorer
about the same age as you, I load my Honda 232cc motorcycle by myself. Don't know about a "tilt" rack, I have a carrier on the hitch that has a ramp that also stores on the hitch.
CHUCK and ROSE 2010 Sunseeker
We camp on earth