cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More hp or an extra gear?

chloe_s_ranch
Explorer
Explorer
I read where the 2016 Ford F53 chassis changed to a 6 speed transmission, but for emissions regs. dropped the horsepower rating down to 320 from 362 on the 2015 chassis. So if you were buying a gas class A today would you rather have the 5 speed with more hp, or the new 6 speed with 320 hp?(And you can't answer that you want 362 hp with 6 speeds?)
21 REPLIES 21

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Well folks I am not sure why we have web site duels however this in the info. The initial 2016's for class A gas at Winnebago had the 2015 Ford Chassis. With the new redone 2016 sometimes called 16.5 the new 6 speed chassis is used that changes torque and HP. I have one and love it. I know people who don't own one who don't like it. Pin ions v experience.

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
04fxsts wrote:
sehunter wrote:
I don't know what the Ford website says but I just copied this from Fleetwoods Bounder 36E for 2016.

Ford®

Model Ford®
Engine 6.8L Triton V10
Transmission Ford® 5-Speed, Automatic w/Overdrive
Alternator 175 Amp
Torque 457 lb-ft @ 3250 RPM
Horsepower 362HP
Fuel Capacity 80 gal.

This is the same spec as listed for our 2015 ACE. Jim.

RIGHT FROM FORD
For 2016 The 6.8L 3-valve V10 with 6-speed TorqShift® automatic is standard on the F-53 Motorhome Stripped Chassis and F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis. The dependable 6.8L features a free-breathing 3-valve-per-cylinder induction system and generates an impressive 320 horsepower and 460 lb.-ft. of torque. The CNG/Propane Gaseous Engine Prep Package (available at time of order), required for conversion to compressed natural gas (CNG) or propane autogas, is available.

2015 Stripped Chassis F53 Class A Motorhome

Specifications Stripped Chassis F53 Class A Motorhome
6.8L 3-Valve EFI Triton® V10 Engine
Power: 305 hp and 420 lbs/ft of torque
Drivetrain: 5-speed TorqShift® Automatic Transmission with Tow/Haul Mode
Wheels - (6) 19.5" x 6" steel

- If this info is not true then so be it. I can only go by what ford themselves advertise ???

rchavez
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 thor challenger with the f53 2015 chassis. The specs are as follows if you click the link that will take you to thor. Not sure where the other rvers specs are coming from but I have 362 hp and a 457 lb- ft torque. Click here if you wish...Thor challenger specs

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
Some of the websites just haven't kept up. Winnebago had not changed even when my order was for the 6 speed. Don Frump (can that really be his name?) has quoted a lot of stuff that doesn't fit. He is new to the forum so I suspect will catchup

My specs quoted come from *FORD* web sites iam sure there was more than one 2015 A series built on a 2014 F53 chassis therefore 362 HP
?? not uncommon to have left over chassis at the MH manufacturer

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the websites just haven't kept up. Winnebago had not changed even when my order was for the 6 speed. Don Frump (can that really be his name?) has quoted a lot of stuff that doesn't fit. He is new to the forum so I suspect will catchup

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
sehunter wrote:
I don't know what the Ford website says but I just copied this from Fleetwoods Bounder 36E for 2016.

Ford®

Model Ford®
Engine 6.8L Triton V10
Alternator 175 Amp
Horsepower 362HP
Fuel Capacity 80 gal.

This is the same spec as listed for our 2015 ACE. Jim.

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer

Ford®

Model Ford®
Engine 6.8L Triton V10
Alternator 175 Amp
Horsepower 362HP
Fuel Capacity 80 gal.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
donfrump wrote:
Goldencrazy wrote:
I guess you guys have not read other forms on this topic. Those of us who have had the five speed 362 and now have the 6 speed are thrilled with the new engine. Maybe one person who not so happy and I think he just felt deceived. It is easily as powerful and much smoother and quieter. A few have suggested engine braking is not as good but I have not been in grades sufficient to know. Wolfe is correct in his analysis. The new engine and tranny delivers more torque where needed. I am pleased that my carbon footprint has lessened and I have a better running engine. Cruise control no longer gear searches on the smallest grade. Some suggest that after 10,000 miles there might be an improvement in mpg. Rumor is that the future could even mean a nine speed that is even more efficient. So don't let the HP mislead.

I think it was the 2015 305HP+ lower torque system that people where unhappy with and ford quickly corrected it

I have had the 362 with five speed in a 2010 vista, 2012 Vista and 2015 Sightseer. My 2005 BT Cruiser had the smaller V_10. The 2016 6 speed is pretty neat and my motorhome is a lot bigger than those Vistas.

yes the E and F series had the 362HP in 2015 but not the F53

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
donfrump wrote:
Goldencrazy wrote:
I guess you guys have not read other forms on this topic. Those of us who have had the five speed 362 and now have the 6 speed are thrilled with the new engine. Maybe one person who not so happy and I think he just felt deceived. It is easily as powerful and much smoother and quieter. A few have suggested engine braking is not as good but I have not been in grades sufficient to know. Wolfe is correct in his analysis. The new engine and tranny delivers more torque where needed. I am pleased that my carbon footprint has lessened and I have a better running engine. Cruise control no longer gear searches on the smallest grade. Some suggest that after 10,000 miles there might be an improvement in mpg. Rumor is that the future could even mean a nine speed that is even more efficient. So don't let the HP mislead.

I think it was the 2015 305HP+ lower torque system that people where unhappy with and ford quickly corrected it

I have had the 362 with five speed in a 2010 vista, 2012 Vista and 2015 Sightseer. My 2005 BT Cruiser had the smaller V_10. The 2016 6 speed is pretty neat and my motorhome is a lot bigger than those Vistas.

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
Torque is what I would be looking for....

I agree with torque being more important than horsepower. Unless you plan on running at 5000 RPM's all the time, max HP is not real important. More gears make the vehicle more fuel efficient and the 40 HP difference will have little or no effect at all at a steady 65 MPH, Until you get ready to pass!!!!

I could live with less HP and 1 more gear
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
chloe's ranch wrote:
I think Donfrump was quoting specs from the 2015 E 450 stripped chassis from Ford which has the two valve V10 that is used in class C motorhomes as well as Thor's RUV class A.

nope F53 in 2015 had 305 HP E series still had 362HP
based on specs out there for reading

heres some more ford 2016 specs

Available Engines 6.8L V10 2V; 6.8L V10 3V
Horsepower 255 @ 4500 rpm | 305 @ 4250 rpm | 320 @ 4000 rpm
Torque 350 @ 2500 rpm | 420 @ 3250 rpm | 460 @ 3000 rpm
Transmission 6-speed automatic with overdrive and tow/haul mode
Wheelbase 138", 158", 176", 178", 190", 208", 228", 242", 252"
Maximum Payload 18,773 lbs. (F-53)
Wheels Available 16" Painted White Steel 19.5" Steel 22.5" Aluminum

chloe_s_ranch
Explorer
Explorer
I think Donfrump was quoting specs from the 2015 E 450 stripped chassis from Ford which has the two valve V10 that is used in class C motorhomes as well as Thor's RUV class A.