Did you mean:ย 

Motorcycle Carrier

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use one of these?

What brands are best?

Any issues?

My bikes tend to be in the 450lb to 600lb range. One had bags so I need to make sure it will fit.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser
44 REPLIES 44

ScubaJim
Explorer
Explorer
Read the posts and love the feedback. Have a Honda Goldwing 1800 and also tow a car so am interested in getting a Hydralift installed since a trailer is not practical. Anyone know of any preventative measure to avoid the bike getting all scratched up. Any help would be appreciated.
Jim, Judy and cat Buddy
2003 Discovery 39 C

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
I carried a Yamaha 250 on the front bumper of a 24' class C and a friend carried a Suzuki 450 on the front bumper of a 26' class C. We just lifted the front into the hoop then the rear. Pretty heavy lifting though, I wouldn't want to pick my BMW 650 up. It worked fine although it did interfere with the headlights so I added some driving lights. I travelled the whole country that way with no problems, 25 years ago.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Dachristianman wrote:
Has anyone considered putting the bike on the front of the motorhome? Seems to me, the front has less frame sticking out in front of the axle and therefore would cause less stress to the structure by installing the hitch/assembly to the front.

Tom

Seems like a reasonable thought. Plus you can see the bike and that would make me happy.

If I were going to take a big bike (HD Fatboy) I would not be considering a carrier. I get that. I do have a bunch of old vintage bike that are all under 500 pounds and those are the bikes I would like to take with me.
Magilla

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone considered putting the bike on the front of the motorhome? Seems to me, the front has less frame sticking out in front of the axle and therefore would cause less stress to the structure by installing the hitch/assembly to the front.

Tom

sprintmod1
Explorer
Explorer
With this little bit of additional information, I would do the following:

(a) find a good welding shop;
(b) have them add two hitch receiver tubes of 2 1/2" square 1/4" wall tubing
(c) fabricate a nice aluminum platform to load the bike onto with a ramp (aluminum will cut the weight by half);
(d) load the bike and go.

If the owners manual for your coach indicated what the tongue weight of a trailer being pulled by the coach is WITHOUT weight distribution equipment will be close to the carrier and the bike, I think you have a winner.

If your owners manual gives you a tongue WITH weight distibution and it is more than your carrier and bike, I still think you have a winner as you have spread the weight out over the two or three receiver tubes you have added to your hitch.

Now, lets get some decent weather, load those bikes, and head out on a new adventure!!!
2010 American Coach Revolution 42w; carrying 2014 HD Electra Glide Limited and towing 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD.
Dirt's for racing and asphalt for getting there.
410 Sprint Car's rule!

FUN_BOX
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is a swivel wheel 58dw
2003 Monaco Knight 38 1/2' Triple Slide - Cummins 8.3 / Allison 6spd LIC= FUN BOX
2010 Acura RDX Turbo on a Master Tow dolly LIC= CHKYDEE

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
600 pounds plus the weight of the lift and it's support system.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Dachristianman wrote:
Why not just purchase a small trailer? Seems to me that would be less stress on the coach, easier to load/unload, and probably just as cheap. With that little weight, I imagine that you wouldn't even know it was back there. Also, if you bought a larger trailer, you have instant extra storage.

Just my $.02 and worth about 1/2 that.

Tom

If there is no desire to also have a toad then a small trailer is probably a fraction the cost of one of the motorcycle lift systems out there for the big bikes.

Well Sir, first off, he's showing no desire for a trailer either. Second, he's already stated a lift is out. So, that leaves a "carrier" of some sort that is stout enough to do the job. And third, yes, you can find cheaper small M/C trailers that will haul a single bike for a reasonable price vs the cost of a NEW lift. A brand new Hydralift hovers north of $4500.00 and that does not include shipping and installation.

I bought my Hydralift used, for $1800 and, picked it up myself and, installed it myself. It all depends on how versatile and, resourseful one can be in a situation like this.

But, if he's (the OP) resourceful enough, he should be able to find:
1. A good welder that can help him out with a nicely made rack for his bike and his coach or,
2. A factory made one that, is not being used anymore by someone and, is for sale on C/L or, ebay etc.

But sir, he originally said he wanted to carry a bike weighing up to 600 pounds! A Harley FLSTF weighs in at about 700 pounds so I thought he was talking about a big bike. I don't think I've ever seen a drive on ramp type carrier that could hold 600 pounds, but I haven't looked at them all. And based on the weights he posted, I wasn't the only one that assumed he was looking for a lift system.

Well,
You're just about right if, he plans on the 600 lb. machine. But, if the lower weight one is the choice, then a good quality drive-on should work. But, if a three-receiver unit is built correctly, it will withstand 600 lbs. easily. That's technically only 200 lbs. per receiver. I've built those and, it's not very hard. But, it all depends on how the OP want's to handle it.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
FIRE UP wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Dachristianman wrote:
Why not just purchase a small trailer? Seems to me that would be less stress on the coach, easier to load/unload, and probably just as cheap. With that little weight, I imagine that you wouldn't even know it was back there. Also, if you bought a larger trailer, you have instant extra storage.

Tom

If there is no desire to also have a toad then a small trailer is probably a fraction the cost of one of the motorcycle lift systems out there for the big bikes.

Well Sir, first off, he's showing no desire for a trailer either. Second, he's already stated a lift is out. So, that leaves a "carrier" of some sort that is stout enough to do the job. And third, yes, you can find cheaper small M/C trailers that will haul a single bike for a reasonable price vs the cost of a NEW lift. A brand new Hydralift hovers north of $4500.00 and that does not include shipping and installation.

I bought my Hydralift used, for $1800 and, picked it up myself and, installed it myself. It all depends on how versatile and, resourseful one can be in a situation like this.

1. A good welder that can help him out with a nicely made rack for his bike and his coach or,
2. A factory made one that, is not being used anymore by someone and, is for sale on C/L or, ebay etc.

But sir, he originally said he wanted to carry a bike weighing up to 600 pounds! A Harley FLSTF weighs in at about 700 pounds so I thought he was talking about a big bike. I don't think I've ever seen a drive on ramp type carrier that could hold 600 pounds, but I haven't looked at them all. And based on the weights he posted, I wasn't the only one that assumed he was looking for a lift system.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Dachristianman wrote:

Tom

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to tow a trailer that is why I was hoping to get a carrier.
Magilla

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dachristianman wrote:

Tom

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
We Cant Wait wrote:
If you're not towing a TOAD behind your MH then what I use might work. It's a unit from "billybob1.com" The front wheel mounts in the unit, that mounts in the MH's receiver, and the rear wheel rolls on the ground. I've been using it for 2 years now with great results.

I no longer have my Harley, or the owners manual, but I think I specifically remember something in the manual that said don't tow it like this. I just did a real quick internet search and see people have different views on it depending on the bike. Sounds like potentially the same problem as towing some vehicles four down in that the back parts in the tranny still spin and don't get lubed.

Sounds like something that needs to be researched for your particular bike before doing it.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Magilla,
Well Sir, I've done exactly what you're thinking of. We had a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 chassis and the V-10. That rig had a 13' overhang from the vertical centerline of the rear wheels. I built the rack which, I tied into the factory hitch and, I had two other recievers, one on each side that were used as auxiliary weight carrying assistants and, also stabilization.

The rack was built with a receiver added to it. We hauled a Yamaha TW 200 on it and, towed our '04 Jeep Rubicon too. That rack didn't even flex any with the weight of the bike on it. The rear axle of that Bounder was I think, a 10,000 lb. rear axle. I was close but, not over the limits with the bike on the back.

My intent was to haul my XR 650L which, was right at 150 lbs. more than the TW but, never did. It would have handled that bike easily too. But, one of the main problems with carrying a heavier bike on a rack like that is, loading and un loading SAFELY! Because the height of the rack, can present a problem as you're loading.

So, you'll have to determine what will allow you to do things safely and easily. Yes, your bike will get a bit dirty back there but, nothing that a quick sprits can't take care of.

We carried our '08 Honda Goldwing Gl1800 on the back of our present rig, an '04 Itasca Horizon with the C-7 CAT 330HP and, there was no damage to the paint what so ever. Yep, it got dirty, no doubt about that but, a quick rinse was in order and all was well. I tried a cover and, that sucked. But, I used a lift on a bike that size.

You won't need and, already know that one won't work for your situations. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Executive wrote:
For that small gasser, that might be too much weight on the back of it...check your specs carefully before you buy the coach so you won't be disappointed....Dennis

P.S. Remove the attempt at bolding your signature or close the bold....D

Small gasser? The RV is a 36' Damon. Is that considered a "small" gasser? To me its pretty big. Yes I know there are bigger but I would not consider this one small. But its all relative. If I had a 45' DP I would think of the Damon as small.

With that said does anyone think that the 36 footer is to small to carry a bike?

the bikes I plan to use are not real big. I plan to take either a 70 BMW R50/5 or a Norton Commando or a 68 Honda CT90. None of these are very big.
If you have no toad why not an enclosed m/c trailer and it gives you a place to keep it as well as keeps it nice during the tow. You can usually find them used
2009 Challenger