cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My solution to Sleep Number mattresses bursting...

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
We just had our second mattress chamber rupture from change in altitude and temperature. (I've noticed the pressure does go up from the engine heating while traveling as well as changes in altitude.) Since our bed is still under warranty, we are getting another free replacement. BTW, the lady that helped me on the phone today said she has had several people calling in with the same issue this summer.

However, it just bugs me that a company can charge you $1500 for a product that will be changing altitude/temperature and it not have a safety pressure relief valve in it. They just say to let air out before you travel. I think there must be a better solution, so here is my thinking:

I called Sleep Number and asked them what the actual pressure in the mattress is with a setting of the maximum 100. They said it is 0.6 psi! So, if you assume the max working pressure is 0.6 psi and you design it with a safety factor of say 3X, the burst pressure would be 1.8 psi. Looking at the atmospheric charts, the change in atmospheric pressure from sea level to 7,000 ft (here in Colorado Springs) is approximately 3 psi. Since the mattress is fabric covered, it cannot stretch, so there is no relief from volume change. (That is why your tire pressures don't change as much with altitude.) As a result, the pressure is 6 times the working pressure. Add in some heat from the engine, and it was most likely even higher. We had one of the two chambers burst, so I assume the real failure is probably 2.5-4.5 psi based upon two failing, and one not, on me

After a bit of searching on the internet, I found a 0-20 psi adjustable pressure relief valve for $4.44.

It can be found Here.

So my plan is to purchase two of these and pick up the appropriate fittings, and put them in the lines that go to the chambers under the night stand near the pump. Set the release point to be just at/above the 100 setting on the mattress, and I should be good to go!

If anybody has any thoughts on this, or has gone through this and found a better option, I would appreciate hearing about it. I think it is cheap insurance to protect the system.

Jeff
Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One
20 REPLIES 20

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
I thought they used to make a mattress specifically for RV's that had the pressure valve built in. I recall that years ago on here there would be stories of people having them burst, but when asked about it they had bought home models of the mattress instead of RV models that had a pressure relief valve. Was that not the case?

Their specific RV mattresses do not have a pressure relief valve. I spent some time on the phone with them telling them they should at least sell an after market one.

Jeff
Jeff

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
After nine years of travel I still don't find it to difficult to push the button on the remote and air the mattress "down" before a big change in altitude.

It doesn't seem hard to me, and I am lazy.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Watching this one for updates..
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I thought they used to make a mattress specifically for RV's that had the pressure valve built in. I recall that years ago on here there would be stories of people having them burst, but when asked about it they had bought home models of the mattress instead of RV models that had a pressure relief valve. Was that not the case?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
does sleep number market directly to RV owners ?
if yes, then i think you have a valid complaint, at the very least a warning notice should come with the mattress

if they do NOT market directly to RV owners,
they have no reason to expect the mattress to be aired up inside a moving vehicle

They have two series of mattresses with RV in the name. They do say to lower pressure when traveling.

Jeff
Jeff

MrWizard
does sleep number market directly to RV owners ?
if yes, then i think you have a valid complaint, at the very least a warning notice should come with the mattress

if they do NOT market directly to RV owners,
they have no reason to expect the mattress to be aired up inside a moving vehicle
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s