cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National RV Tropical fluorescent fixtures

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2007 Tropical LX T350. The plastic covers (lens) over the fluorescent fixtures are cracking. I can't find the lighting manufacturer and think they may have gone out of business. The ceiling fixtures are inset into the ceiling soft covering. Has anyone replaced them with other fluorescent or LED fixtures and dealt with the inset mounting or the possible different footprint?
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA
8 REPLIES 8

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a Sun-Ray light- out of business. They were actually better than thin-lite. They had a "Tube Saver" ballast.
-- Chris Bryant

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most of those fixtures are indeed Thin-Lite they seem to be the standard.
the 12 volt "Ballast" is really an inverter and messes up some of my radios by the way

I removed teh electronics (The "Ballast/inverter") and sockets and used peal and stick LED strips. about 5 meters of LED per fixture.. Cut to length and then spliced with jumper wire.. Lots more light. Lots less current.. Very happy. about 8 bucks a fixture plus a hour or so of cutting and soldering

But that won't fix cracked covers.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have only been in one Tropical and our current rig is our first with fluorescent fixtures, so I have no idea what yours look like.

My point being, a picture is worth a thousand words. If you can post a photo it would help.

I have Thinlite fixtures and the lenses fall out, yet when I was converting them to LED strips, they fit fine. As it turns out the ceiling is not symmetrical in the curve and when the mounting screw are tight the frame of the fixture flexs and the lenses fall out. I will be correcting that by cutting some 1/4" oak that will be finished to match the cabinets. This is something you might consider if you have to replace the fixtures.

I bought LED strips that are mounted on aluminum and cut them to size, used contact cement to attach them to the reflector and soldered the strips to create in effect a long series strip instead of five short strips. Better light and no heat to cause the lens to rot and fall out.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I talked to Thin Lite cust svc the other day. Don't have lenses to fit. Not their product. Will contact RV parts country tomorrow.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

MrWizard
yes ... good project
BUT
it doesn't help with his current problem of cracked ageing lens
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer
Before I lost my '98 Dolphin to a fire, I had replace all the fluorescents with LED.
If you are competent with a Volt Meter, you can modify yours very cheaply. I'm not talking about LED Tubes to replace the fluorescents. They're too expensive. Just get a roll of LED lights from Amazon, along with some wiring adaptors. I did all of mine in the Dolphin as well as it's Winnebago replace. Probably cost me lesst than $75 for both RVs. You should be able to find a how-to video on YouTube, along with the part numbers for the LEDs and Adaptors.

Mike

wborst
Explorer
Explorer
These are possibly Thin-Lite fixtures. I purchased new lens covers for mine from Amazon. Do a search for Thin-Lite D766 on Amazon.com.
Hope this helps.
Check out this link to ThinLite web site.
Brenda, Bill
Our little dog Madison has crossed the Rainbow Bridge
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire 40ft. Spartan chassis
400 hp Cummins ISL

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
This place has some covers. Just scroll though the different pages and see if you can find what you need. Light covers