cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with class B road test in NC, will pay/compensate

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
Okay..so I'll admit right up front...I'm a total idiot. Let's just get that out of the way. Wife and I purchased a Tiffin Allegro Red diesel pusher. We live in the Raleigh area of NC. We take delivery in FL next Friday -- April 10th. Mid last week I just found out I need a non-CDL classified B license. I didn't need one for my pickup and 40-foot 5th wheel I that I drove for several seasons. So this never ever crossed my mind.

I was wondering if someone with a vehicle (it can be an RV, a box truck, a flatbed, etc.) that has a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or more would be willing to accompany me to a DMV road test and let me use their vehicle for the test. I insist on paying someone for the use of their vehicle and time. This is a very big request that I'm actually embarrassed to even ask...but I'm up against time here and running out of good options. Of note, I took my written test and have my class B permit. I could also look for someone that has a class b/a or cdl class b/a to come to FL with me and hang out in the passenger seat while I drive it back...but I'd rather get my license, if possible.

Please...you don't need to tell me I'm an idiot. I already know this. If you have suggestions for me, I'm all ears.

Thanks so much,
Rob
33 REPLIES 33

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
DazedNConfused wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Have you thought about taking someone with the proper license with you to drive the coach back to NC? This will probably cost less than $950, especially if you have a licensed friend. Once the coach is in NC than you can use it to take your test.

That is my fallback plan...and have someone that can do this. Since I have my permit, if they are with me, I can drive it...which of course is the purpose of the permit. I also have a driving test officially set up for April 13th, the day after we get back...so if I have to go this route I will. I prefer to not have to put my friend out and fly down to FL with us and try to find a truck to take the test in and have the license before I leave. I posted something to Craigslist and offered to pay someone for their truck and their time if they can help me. We'll see if I get any bites. Unfortunately, most trucks 26,001 and over are going to be a manual. I prefer an automatic. One stall and game over for the test. And nobody local seems to want to lend me their big heavy motorhome to take a test with. 🙂

If you had a way to Mo I would lend you one of my buses.. but my advice is, go to a NCDOT school bus testing facility and take the road test in one of their automatic school buses. I had to go to to them to get my airbrake endorsement and the school I worked for had hydraulic brakes so I had to go to the other school district who had an Eagle with airbrakes. cost me 100 bucks to take the test in and have a lesson to go over the things so i could pass the road test. That is what I would do, most school districts have a DOT guy to give the test or can direct you to one.

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
Yeti plus wrote:
Around here all the school bus operators are always looking for drivers, and will train you to drive a school bus. Perhaps you could try the school bus route, more like driving a Class A MH than a truck would be. Might also lead to a part time job as well.:) Good luck in your quest.
Brian

You know what...this is actually a really good idea. I hadn't even though about calling a school bus transportation outfit. They may even have shorter buses that still are above 26,001 GVWR -- which would be perfect. Alternative is paying an hourly rate to the truck driving school to have someone meet me at DMV with their bus. Planned on calling tomorrow to ask...but I will also call a local school bus outfit. Thanks...I really like that idea. 🙂

Rob

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Around here all the school bus operators are always looking for drivers, and will train you to drive a school bus. Perhaps you could try the school bus route, more like driving a Class A MH than a truck would be. Might also lead to a part time job as well.:) Good luck in your quest.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
camp104 wrote:
Rob I agree with Down the Avenue. Just drive it back to Florida and deal with there. Don't stress out so much. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

I'm really not worried about handling the motorhome. My 5th wheel setup was far bigger and I could drive and back into places like a champ. I'm more worried about being involved in an accident and not having the proper license. I'll admit I'm pretty conservative about this stuff. Hoping I'll score a suitable truck next week - fingers crossed.

Rob

camp104
Explorer
Explorer
Rob I agree with Down the Avenue. Just drive it back to Florida and deal with there. Don't stress out so much. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

lrash
Explorer
Explorer
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml Please go here and look.

lrash
Explorer
Explorer
Drive it forget about the CDL B.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
shaneperch wrote:
That is North Carolina for you. they can't leave you alone. I used to live in Havelock and in 2001 I was able to drive my bus with out a CDL or class B what is a non CDL class B? do you have to take that awful physical?

Once upon a time I had a CDL (Class B or C, don't remember) with passenger endorsement but once I didn't need it for work I let it lapse because of the hassle of the annual physical requirement.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

camp104
Explorer
Explorer
There is no physical required. No air brake test It's all about 26,001 lbs. In CA you don't need a non CDL unless your RV is over 40 ft

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Two thoughts:
1. Call around to the RV dealers...perhaps they have a used unit they will rent you to take the test maybe even pay a starving salesperson.
2. Just drive your RV home from Florida. Unless you get stopped no one will know. Even an officer from any state other FL, GA, or SC will probably not know about NC's license laws. Before anyone even brings up insurance, you could ask your agent.

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
That is North Carolina for you. they can't leave you alone. I used to live in Havelock and in 2001 I was able to drive my bus with out a CDL or class B what is a non CDL class B? do you have to take that awful physical?

camp104
Explorer
Explorer
Rob do you know any fire fighters. The have non CDL class B

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Have you thought about taking someone with the proper license with you to drive the coach back to NC? This will probably cost less than $950, especially if you have a licensed friend. Once the coach is in NC than you can use it to take your test.

That is my fallback plan...and have someone that can do this. Since I have my permit, if they are with me, I can drive it...which of course is the purpose of the permit. I also have a driving test officially set up for April 13th, the day after we get back...so if I have to go this route I will. I prefer to not have to put my friend out and fly down to FL with us and try to find a truck to take the test in and have the license before I leave. I posted something to Craigslist and offered to pay someone for their truck and their time if they can help me. We'll see if I get any bites. Unfortunately, most trucks 26,001 and over are going to be a manual. I prefer an automatic. One stall and game over for the test. And nobody local seems to want to lend me their big heavy motorhome to take a test with. 🙂

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
The class of truck that a rental place will rent that will quality for my test is referred to as a CDL truck by the rental companies. Ryder has very few that will work for my road test and none available within my region. Penske only has one...about an hour and a half from where I live.

I actually had an arrangement worked out with a local truck driving school. But...they only test for a full CDL. So my plan was to return to DMV already having taken the general knowledge test as well as the air brake test. The plan was to add the passenger test and then I could use the truck driving school's bus to take my test. Turns out DMV gave me the non-CDL class b test yesterday...which was correct....but was actually not required to test me on air brakes since that is a CDL license thing. So...to work with the truck driving school...I had to take the CDL class b exam, re-take the cdl air brake exam, and then also take the cdl passenger exam. THEN...I could pay the truck driving school, $950...yes...$950...to have them give me a few hours of instruction and then use their bus for the test. But...it being a CDL test...I had to memorize the pre-inspection booklet which is 16 items, about 60 or so sub-items, and the full descriptions and how to measure each, do that perfectly, and then do the driving test. I just don't have the time between now and Monday to do all that. On the plus side, the DMV said if I can come up with a rig, they will test me as a walk-in without an appointment which was nice of them. Incidentally....there is no air brake non-CDL test...and therefore...any 26,001 lb rig...with or without air brakes...will quality for the non-CDL class b driving test. And even if it DOES have air brakes, they do not do the walk-thru of the air brake system, make you fan out the brakes to check to make sure the lower air warning goes off...and the parking brake pops out when it gets low enough. It's simply a driving test. Get in the RV or truck, don't run over any curbs, stop at stop signs, don't hit anyone...done.

I already took an RV driving class before getting my 5th wheel...and have driven that for a few seasons now....with a total length of 61' when I had the bike rack on the front of my truck. So while a motorhome is different, I have experience driving a long rig, backing it up, using mirrors, turning, etc. etc. Just need to take my class b driving test and all this goes away. 🙂

Rob