cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need new cab over matress. Please help

Malster1
Explorer
Explorer
Well got our new (1996) class C Montara tioga 24' all fixed up and took it on a few trips for far, the issue is the kids are set with the beds downstairs, but the wife and I can't get something to work for the cab over bed. It didn't have one when we bought it, so we tried a few different things, but tpnothing have worked out. I have been researching replacements, but can't find the stock size of our matress anywhere. I know it's a split bed, and I measured and have 59x76 to work with. I messed up buying Costco folding mats, but they were too wide to both fit up there.

I've seen someone on eBay selling a new hubris bunkmatress that says 30x76.6x4 which I'm tempted to try, but wife will kill me if it don't fit and we are stuck with it for the price.

Help please. If you know the stock sizes and/or were I can source a replacement that would be awesome!
Length, width, height
17 REPLIES 17

Malster1
Explorer
Explorer
dogzlife wrote:
Malster1 wrote:
Side question since you have the same model, how many smoke detectors do you have? I found a hold over the dining table that looked to have 3 wires ( not connected to anything), but under the hood is mentions a bunch of co monitors, only have the LP gas/CO detector that I can find so far, which isn't even wired up there.

Only one smoke detector on ceiling near bathroom door. It's battery operated and could be aftermarket by the original owner. I do have a CO detector under cabinet above the corner bed as well as an LP detector near entry door. The only items above my dinette are all under cabinet mounted (12v light, 110v outlet and a 12v socket w/ winegard TV booster switch).

Thanks!

dogzlife
Explorer
Explorer
Malster1 wrote:
Side question since you have the same model, how many smoke detectors do you have? I found a hold over the dining table that looked to have 3 wires ( not connected to anything), but under the hood is mentions a bunch of co monitors, only have the LP gas/CO detector that I can find so far, which isn't even wired up there.

Only one smoke detector on ceiling near bathroom door. It's battery operated and could be aftermarket by the original owner. I do have a CO detector under cabinet above the corner bed as well as an LP detector near entry door. The only items above my dinette are all under cabinet mounted (12v light, 110v outlet and a 12v socket w/ winegard TV booster switch).
1996 Tioga Montara 24.5ft w/ 460 Ford

"Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes." - Lewis Grizzard

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
photobug wrote:
Fred Meyer had some 4" foam in a big stack the other day. Weird thing was different pieces had different squishyness. The dense ones looked like they'd work ok. I'm thinking of getting some to make cushions for my couch. The futon matress is nice, but super heavy and slides around a bit.

Fred Meyer is not really a provider of quality foam. In the Seattle area, quality foam is available from Perfect Fit in Tukwilla. I've been happy with foam that I've bought from them and from foambymail.com. The stuff from Freddies will tend to be too soft and have a short life.

Malster1
Explorer
Explorer
dogzlife wrote:
Malster, I have the same motorhome. If you are attempting to replace with an identical bed, PM me and I can take detailed pictures and measurements of my bed.

Thanks! Sorry was off the grid camping. I ended up buying 1 side so far from an amazon seller with a 6" cot size. Said 30x74" but it seems to be opening up to only 72, I'm 6'1" and it worked mostly, hung off the end when I was on my stomach. Tried to order a second one now that I'm home, but the seller I got mine from must be out again. Only the $399 seller left. I'll wait, got the first one for only 149. It's fully wrapped so didn't need to make a cover which was nice.

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Fred Meyer had some 4" foam in a big stack the other day. Weird thing was different pieces had different squishyness. The dense ones looked like they'd work ok. I'm thinking of getting some to make cushions for my couch. The futon matress is nice, but super heavy and slides around a bit.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

dogzlife
Explorer
Explorer
Malster, I have the same motorhome. If you are attempting to replace with an identical bed, PM me and I can take detailed pictures and measurements of my bed.
1996 Tioga Montara 24.5ft w/ 460 Ford

"Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes." - Lewis Grizzard

Imotay
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up purchasing a futon mattress and added a mattress topper. It was less thick than a standard mattress but still comfortable. Being less thick gave us a little bit more room in the loft. It was easy to make up since you could easily lift each corner up while being on it.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Love our 8" cool foam mattress from them. IMO get the thickest one you can fit in the space.

pennysmom09 wrote:
Try Mattressinsider.com. We purchased from them when we modified our queen to twins. Needed narrower twins than standard. They have custom sizes in foam mattresses.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on foambymail.com - have created very comfortable mattresses in current and past rigs by buying 5" thick Lux foam sheet, then adding 1.5" memory foam topper to it. Current rig replaced new Serta "deluxe" mattress, previous replaced dinette cushions that made into bed. Easily cut with electric carving knife for custom fit if needed. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Try Mattressinsider.com. We purchased from them when we modified our queen to twins. Needed narrower twins than standard. They have custom sizes in foam mattresses.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
foambymail.com is where I shop.

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Malster1 wrote:
ndrorder wrote:
Amazon sells cot mattresses (30 x 74) in foam up to 10 inches thick. Also called a truck mattress.

Thanks, But what thickness should I be looking at? Will 74" be too short? I"m 6'1" tall

To put it another way, I don't know the size of your original mattress or where to get one.

I found that Amazon can be searched for things called cot or truck mattresses resulting in choices that are 30 inches wide in varying foams, thicknesses and lengths.

Malster1
Explorer
Explorer
ndrorder wrote:
Amazon sells cot mattresses (30 x 74) in foam up to 10 inches thick. Also called a truck mattress.

Thanks, But what thickness should I be looking at? Will 74" be too short? I"m 6'1" tall

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer