cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need tips on replacing bedroom slide lower wiper seal

BluesLover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2008 Four Winds Hurricane 34-B with a bedroom slider. There is a seal between the lower edge of the wall and the slider's bottom that was held in place by a "slide-on clip" with metal grippers that have rusted and failed. The seal is now partially pulled loose and has been pulled inside the wall area as we retracted the slider. I was able to get a small section of it pulled back by slightly lifting the slider with a pry bar, hoping that I could get the seal back in place and use seal adhesive to keep it in place until the trip is over. Sadly, one too many tugs on the seal and it ripped. So, time to replace, and after having horrible experience with the vast majority of repairs attempted by my dealer, I hope to do the work myself.

This is a similar seal to what failed:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Slide-On-Clip-Double-Bulb-Seal-With-Wiper-p/38-0034.htm

I searched the forums here, Google and Youtube, and while there is a lot of advice and videos on replacing the top and side wipers and the stick-on types of seals, I haven't had luck finding any advice on how to lift and replace the type of seal that uses the metal grippers over the "edge" of the slider bottom.

Do I have to remove the slider, or can I "cheat" by just shoring up and jacking up the slider enough to pull and replace the bottom seal?

Or can I just rip out the failed "slide-on clip" seal and replace it with one held in place with adhesive and/or screws like the other two sliders on the coach?

Any and all advice is much appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3

BluesLover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the tips!

I used a couple of small hydraulic jacks inside under the bedroom slider after opening the slider enough to access the seal from both outside and inside. It took a bit of tugging and pulling and pushing the seal back into place, but I was able to get it back in place, holding it there with some rubber gasket adhesive. I will replace completely after the trips are over for the year.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The bottom seal I have a lift with a wood brace I built to lift the room about 1 inch. The sides and top seal you just have to have strong fingers to replace if it has the metal fingers. Doug

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I change mine on a different vehicle, just by open part way and put jack stands (the type use on 5 wheel tongue. They can be turn to rise the height. find and have on hand the right seals.