cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New member - Buying first C-class. Help!

ethanjutto
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

I grew up with a Winnebago A-class 73' chieftain. Love the memories of Alaska and Oregon with my family growing up. I now have a 16 month old and want to start giving her some great memories as well in a Winnie.

We need a bunk (most A-class don't have them unless you're looking into the 1990's) and would love a queen in the back for us and no fold out couch. (Table can be used) Looking for a 24-26 foot, 2005+. Sleep possibilities of two in back, two on table and two on bunk.

Our price range max is 35k. I really want to get a low mileage Winnebago 30-50k, but it might be out of reach for me at that price point.

Two questions: (maybe more to come!)
1. what are your thoughts on the Winnie Chalet? I read they are used for Rentals! Might not be a good way to go right? There are a lot out there in my price range. But the mileage is from 60-90k.

2. In my area there is a Dutchman for sale with the exact floor plan we are looking for. What are your thoughts with Dutchman Four Seasons/Thor? The cabin and pretty much all kitchen appliances look identical to the Winnie chalet.
Can you follow this link and let me know your thoughts? I saw it and it is in great condition. 8/10 overall (exterior logo/paint super faded). In the add it says a Coachmen but that was a mistake by the seller. Please help if you have a chance.

Many thanks!
Ethan

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Hit-The-Road-RV-2918528/listing/2006-Coachmen-EXPRESS-24T-122689073
4 REPLIES 4

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We sold our 26 year old Class A in December. It was reliable and everything worked. My mechanic said he wouldn't be scared to drive it across country. Point is, if you find a unit that has been loved then it being a decade old isn't a big deal. The problem is that a lot of RVs are neglected. Keep looking and you'll find the one you want. My buddy had a budget less than yours (25,000ish) and he found a sweet Winnie Adventurer class A and has taken his family all over the USA more than once. He looked at a lot of lemons before he found the one that had been loved. I have another friend that paid $16,000 for a 1996 class A, not sure of the brand. He and his wife and traveled extensively in that thing pulling a toad. If you get used figure into your budget a new set of tires and a complete service by your favorite mechanic. Then you know you're ready to go. When I bought mine I took it straight to an independent RV repair shop and had them service it from bumper to bumper. I didn't buy new tires but, a blow out on a dually cured that. 7 tires later and I had brand new rubber. I had that RV for 8 years and it never even hiccuped. Always reliable in 110 degrees or 15 degrees.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Be patient in your search. You're fortunate you live in So Cal with plenty of RVers and RV dealers. You may come across more units for sale after summer. Extend your search to AZ, plenty of RVers over there. Good luck!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
ethanjutto wrote:
Hello everyone,

Two questions: (maybe more to come!)
1. what are your thoughts on the Winnie Chalet? I read they are used for Rentals! Might not be a good way to go right? There are a lot out there in my price range. But the mileage is from 60-90k. Please help if you have a chance.

Many thanks!
Ethan

I see nothing wrong with a Former Rental,:B here is a happy owner of a Winnie Chalet
kthomas693 wrote:
Good morning everyone. New to this site and am enjoying it. I just wanted to share that we purchased a 2010 Winn Chalet 31C with 42k miles on it last Aug, from Dusty's Camping World in Bartow Florida and we love it. It is in great shape, everything works and its very clean. We looked around for quite awhile before deciding on this one.
It is all vinyl flooring which was a huge factor for us. Our unit came with brand new awning, flat screen over the front bunk area, and wiring for the bedroom. Also have a Wineguard (?) 2000-- its a big disk/antennea mounted on top- no cranking/cranks and works fine unless trees. Also, a sleep number bed, brand new shower head and 1 slide. A gennie with about 400ish hours on it (total guess here, they did say but can't recall at this moment). The ac works great. We have a tow hitch ( I am adding this info based on others info ) It does have a few cosmetic flaws inside, (some ones child perhaps did some drawing on the wall next to the couch,, and the cleaner they used made a lite spot, and some scratches here and there ) but really, it looks great, smells great and is easy to clean and maintain.
Our tech at CW, said he and his wife took it out themselves (job perk) and camped, and everything was in working order. We did purchase the ext warr plan. With 42k miles, that told me it was never out of working condition. We have taken it out many many times and have not had any issues at all. I would def recommend looking into buying a rental, and also would recommend checking with Dusty's CW. We will be looking to trade up for Class A for more space, and DCW will be our first stop. Thanks-

Another one

Also this one

Here is another

All from the rental thread above.If you find what you want don't let the fact that it was a rental put you off,there more than 90 happy owners of Former Rentals on that thread.

Good Luck in your search.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twelve year old C for 32K. I wouldn't. Too old...too much. Tire age? Brake wear? Mantainence records? machanic says? RV inspector says?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad