Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Motorhome - Front End Alignment

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Gang,

Just wondering whether or not its ok to get my front end alignment done while a unit is going through its PDI with the dealer.

If the unit had a ton of CCC (like 3k and up) I can see loading all my stuff in it first and than bringing it back to the dealer for the follow-up alignment.

In my case, my rig has 1950 pounds of CCC - and we don't pack crazy heavy and I know they don't put sandbags in the cab seats to mimic adults while underway. Do you think I can get a good alignment out of them as is? Otherwise I have to drive it back home (with the wife following), load it up, bring it back to the dealer (wife following), leave it there and go home. Than repeat the whole thing all over again when its done.

What say you guys? Could I even get close by telling them to fill one or two of the water tanks to simulate some weight?

Thanks !
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
17 REPLIES 17

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
The motorhome already has close to 800 miles on it already since they had to drive it to Jersey. So I'm close to that mark you set just by the nature of it.

As to the Winnie, this Jayco is infinitely more comfortable and appealing from a myriad of perspectives. Everything is more comfortable in it, thought out, and less rental grade than is my current rig. Plus it has the factory installed chassis mods and hydraulic levelers. Fiberglass roof (new for 2016) that is CROWNED with gutters/spouts and the one piece front cap were the icing on the cake for me.

If it all works out, we'll be tickled pink.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
From my own experience twice on two different motor homes with THIS Truck/RV/Ambulance/Bus suspension shop. For a brand new rig, you want to put on around 1000 miles before having an alignment done. The miles will "settle in" the suspension. They recommended taking a weekend get-away that is roughly 500 miles away. Upon returning, leave everything inside, drain both waste tanks and fill the fresh water and fuel tanks. Replenish your supplies. All this done to simulate the most common on-the-road scenario. If you want to get it perfect, place the appropriate amount of weight behind the driver and passenger seats to represent the weight of you and your spouse in those seats.

Short of doing that is simply "short" of getting it as best as possible.

About your Winnie, if you loved the rig minus the handling, I would have surely invested in handling improvements. But if you were ready for a change anyway, then you did the right thing and bought something else that happens to handle better. Still you may learn that under certain conditions, even the new rig will not handle so well.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Jopopsy wrote:
I'm doing it because: A. its free, and B. I understand Ford aligns them for the cutaway as it was naked but not for what the end result is.

I'm starting to think I should just have them align it as is.

I tend to agree. Building the coach on the chassis is the big deal. I don't think the last nth degree of loading is going to matter much. Often it changes anyway. Try to get them to dial in as much positive caster as they can. You want it approaching the upper end of the spec range , not on the lower end of the range.

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
PSW wrote:
Since there is nothing in a new coach, I would fill the fresh, gray and black to capacity. It would certainly not hurt and could help. The problem is most tanks are towards the rear axle and you won't have the weight of the driver and passenger on the front, but I suspect it would (like most things) be good enough.

I was worried about unloading the front axle as well. Maybe I'll just ask them to fill the tanks closer to the rear axle. Avoid any that hang towards the back.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Since there is nothing in a new coach, I would fill the fresh, gray and black to capacity. It would certainly not hurt and could help. The problem is most tanks are towards the rear axle and you won't have the weight of the driver and passenger on the front, but I suspect it would (like most things) be good enough.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
While you may not have MH loaded with your stuff. You can make sure it is loaded with water and fuel. Some water in black and gray tanks will not hurt.

I was debating having them fill just the fresh water tank. But maybe the black and gray as you suggest instead would be better.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
My potential Jayco includes what they call "J-Ride Plus". It already includes a lot of that.

http://jride.jayco.com/
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

DocP
Explorer
Explorer
My Class C has about 800 miles on it, and I wanted to have the front end alignment checked prior to a number of longer trips we have planned this summer. Being my first motorhome, and not knowing what to expect on the highway, I sensed a little bit of play in the front end. I paid $170 to have the front end checked out, and was told that it was fine. The shop did, however, "strongly recommend" installing over $3,200 of new shocks and front and rear sway bars to improve the ride -- they told me that it would "drive like a Ferrari" if I let them do the work. Needless to say, I declined -- never really did care for Ferrari's!
Michael & Anne
Retired and loving it!
Macedonia, OH

ronfisherman
While you may not have MH loaded with your stuff. You can make sure it is loaded with water and fuel. Some water in black and gray tanks will not hurt.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
I'm doing it because: A. its free, and B. I understand Ford aligns them for the cutaway as it was naked but not for what the end result is.

I'm starting to think I should just have them align it as is.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
That Jayco drove night and day better than my Winnie. I could take that Greyhawk up to 70 with only one hand on the steering wheel and felt at ease

If you like the handling, why not wait on the alignment? See if there is any undue tire wear. Go from there. I'm not much of a proponent of symptom free wheel alignments..

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't realize you were having handling problems with your Winnie. Mine has been fine at any speed, without having to do any add ons or mods. Did you ever go lower than the 70 psi you were running in the front tires ? I run 60-65# which is more than enough for the 4,120# on the front axle. I am going to get an alignment (its first in over two years of ownership) because I noticed the outside edge of the right front tire is showing a little extra wear.
Just yesterday, my son showed/told me what to do if/when my one slide, decides not to retract someday.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. What really did it for me? That Jayco drove night and day better than my Winnie. I could take that Greyhawk up to 70 with only one hand on the steering wheel and felt at ease. Can't do 60 comfortably w/o 2 hands on my Winnie. And I'm still fighting w/ the steering wheel. I didn't want to start playing the game of adding all sorts of things to it and still end up where I am now. Oh, and I really wanted levelers but didn't want to go aftermarket; factory installs always end up cleaner.

And yes, its got lots more bling and glitz. I can make peace with the weight. I've seen Greyhawks as low as 1400 pounds. I'm sure I didn't touch the 2900 I'm giving up.

Oh, and Jayco (and others) have dropped Schwintek from their larger slides. I was happy to see that as my slides are creaky/groany.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Jopopsy wrote:
Mich F wrote:
How are you coming up with a CCC of 1,950# ? My 2014 31K which weighs probably a few hundred pounds less than the 31H,has an OCCC of 3,275#. I would assume your OCCC, as stated on your cab doors, is somewhere around 3,000#

I'm 80% sure I'm trading up to a Jayco Greyhawk 29MV. 😉

I just realized we covered this back in early May with the 31H. So you're going for more bling and glitz, along with the extra weight involved ? :B The 31K has plenty of extra carrying capacity that I'll never need, and after a few things I added, suits me fine.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect