cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Owner With A Couple Of Questions

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
We are new buyers and new to the RV world and have a couple of questions I hope someone might help us with. We are looking at buying a 1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35 with only about 30,000 miles, with a Ford engine and chassis. I have a couple or concerns that the more experienced owners can offer some insight. The coach has belonged to the current owner for about 12 years and for that time it has been kept in a garage. He keeps it set up on the hydraulic levelors at all times. I have been over all of the systems and everything except the heater and one of the overhead vent fans works fine. One thing that worries me are the tires. The owners have used the coach MAYBE 10 times since they owned it. The tires look like brand new except they are 8 years old. So might this be a problem? Also, during the test drive yesterday, once the coach reaches about 40 to 50 miles an hour, there is a very loud high pitched sound that appears to be coming from the outside on the passenger side. It comes and goes so it isn't constant. But it's loud enough to be annoying inside. When stopped or at slow speeds it is not heard. Thanks for any feedback you can give me. Chuck
23 REPLIES 23

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Tire size is 235/85/16 but don't know manufacturer. I am getting prices now in my area. Since we're buying a used coach, is it unreasonable for us to want an adjustment to replace the tires? We're at an agreement at $12K now if no adjustment are factored in. The interior is like new and exterior only shows minor wear and tear except where they put their name on both sides and messed up the paint trying to get it off. Chuck

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
chuckbear wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I suspect it is some kind of wind noise, but it appears to be from the outside. I checked the windows and the door. When I open a window, the sound is much louder on the outside. It goes away at lower speeds and even at 40 to 50 MPH it will stop for a while and then start up again. I do suspect the awning although it appears to be closed. I will have to look at the cost of tire replacement, since my feeling were also that the tires should be replaced.

FEELING NOTHING! They need to be replaced.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that coach has Atwood windows. If so, the drains at the outside bottom of the windows have been known to make a high pitch wine from the air flow at speed. Atwood offered plugs to cure the problem. You could tape the drains and see if the noise goes away.

Some food for thought. That 97 Ford chassis came with 235/85R16 Michelin all steel cord tires. The all steel cord contributes to the handling of that chassis. Less side wall flex. Only Michelin XPS and Bridgestone Duravis R250 tires offer all steel cord construction in your size. Both are pricey. Michelin XPS in you size are $255.00 each at Walmart. I elect to use Michelin XPS tires on my 95 Ford chassis.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked all hatches, gaskets, latches etc.? If a hatch is hinged at the top a latch could be loose and not really noticed. Don't know which type of hatches are on that MH. Anything loose like that could cause a whistle. Assuming of coarse it is wind noise and not something under MH making the sound.

I had 89 MH with a 454 engine and the smog pump caused a whistling noise at high speed that drove me nuts until I found it. (It was a new MH) I put a hose exhaust on that pump and directed it rearward 20'. Solved the problem. That noise would come and go. Mechanic said there was nothing wrong with the smog pump.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Valkyriebush wrote:
Is it tied to the rate of acceleration? Driveline noise perhaps? Bearing? X-2 on the tires.

Doesn't seem to be. Other than nothing at slower speeds when no noise, 25 to 35 MPH, it's pretty random at various higher steady speeds. Chuck

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it tied to the rate of acceleration? Driveline noise perhaps? Bearing? X-2 on the tires.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I suspect it is some kind of wind noise, but it appears to be from the outside. I checked the windows and the door. When I open a window, the sound is much louder on the outside. It goes away at lower speeds and even at 40 to 50 MPH it will stop for a while and then start up again. I do suspect the awning although it appears to be closed. I will have to look at the cost of tire replacement, since my feeling were also that the tires should be replaced.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I would replace all tires. You will run into that problem on many used RVs.

Noise: 1. I would have someone open and close different windows on that side at highway speeds to see if noise changes. 2. Check awning to make sure it is fully closed.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I would add new tires. The tires on the used MH I purchased only had 12,000 miles on them. They were originals - 15 years old.

The heater may have a dirt dauber's nest on the fan and in the heating tube. Mine did and would blow a fuse as soon as I turned it on. Once I cleaned the dauber's nest and the fan was able to turn, replaced a fuse and all was good.

No idea on the high pitched sound unless it could be an air leak