cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tech for a tired delaminating filon/luan RV?

miniwinipowerst
Explorer
Explorer
I’m always interested in new tech and I recently came across a new to me technology that’s been around for 20 years. 3M VHB double sided adhesive tape that is being used in the RV/Trailer industry. I was thinking this would be perfect for reskinning an old RV as the exterior and roofs give up long before the other mechanical systems. I’m sure you could use filon without using luan or Aluminum sheets/rolled aluminum. Check out the 3M site and videos

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Adhesives-Tapes/Industrial-Adhesives-and-Tapes/Double-Sided-Bonding-Tapes/3M-VHB-Tapes/?N=5002385+5581367+8710676+8710815+8710960+8711017+8713604+3294857497&rt=r3

It looks like the days of rivets is over.
2 REPLIES 2

miniwinipowerst
Explorer
Explorer
After removing the thermoskin (filon/luan) you may have to weld in additional aluminum framing structure. I’m no expert on the 3M VHB application system but it appears that the framing on the OEM’s using the system are keeping the frame spaced at 12-16”.
It would be a huge project to undertake but when completed may last a good long time and keep the RV in service.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
miniwinipowerstroke wrote:
I’m sure you could use filon without using luan or with aluminum sheets/rolled aluminum.

They key is "without using luan". The only issues is is the frame built strong enough to endure and front to rear "racking". Likely the frame is not built for optimal placement of the VHB tape, which should be along the edges of the tape.

I am also curious how well VHB and aluminum works on a roof preventing water leaks.