cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to classC

JackBen
Explorer
Explorer
So after 6 years in a Roo 23B we bought a Sunseeker 3017DS at the Hershey show, will not have it for about a month. So what I am looking for is some positive renforment. DW and I are a little nervous about going to a 32' rig from a TT. Does anyone have this rig and any tips on first time class C'rs

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

JackBen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
We used to use a truck camper when our girls were very small; took cross-country once:) Then we got into reenacting and that meant an A-tent, cooking over a campfire, no real bathroom...no showers! We bought a hybrid trailer earlier this year.

Long story short, we never got to take it out, instead traded it in on a Class C...which we have had out four times since taking delivery the end of June:) Don't think you'll get us into another trailer and the tent is looking less fun.

Fortunately, VA winters are mild enough we may be able to do some camping well into winter here and right into spring:)

Being so self-contained and well organized (our MH...a Thor Four Winds 24C) makes it so easy to hit the road and go somewhere!!! And it's small enough to park in a Walmart (for shopping;)) or a fast-food restaurant:)

Dtbow22
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought one too....ours will not be ready until 'Decemberish." Just curious how are you getting yours so quick? I would have loved to do a Fall trip close to home. Nevertheless, I am reading all I can to get ready for the Spring. Happy camping ๐Ÿ˜‰

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
We went from truck and trailer (23 foot box) to our 31 foot Winnie this past spring and we love it. Like others have said, your total travel length will be less if you don't tow a dinghy (we don't). In fact there have been a couple of times where I'm signaling to move over a lane and the kind driver in the other lane flashed me to show I was clear, in a much shorter distance than I thought!

The first time you have to use the restroom on the road or stop at your destination and don't have to unhitch you will feel 110% confident in your decision ๐Ÿ™‚ Congratulations!

Editing to add something that came to mind - we watched some RV Driving videos made by the folks at LazyDays, they're aimed at class A's, but we still found them helpful: Drivers Confidence Courses
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

campmanfromSD
Explorer
Explorer
Sit back relax and don't worry. You have made a good choice. I purchased the sunseeker 3170 DS 32 foot bunk house unit. I picked it up this spring and have loved it ever since. If you are like me you will read everything in this forum and find good answers to your questions. Some of the questions I had was do I need leveling installed, for me the answer is no. I have gone to several campgrounds and only a couple of times was the site not level enough. easy fix with some 2 X 4 blocks. Other thing I was not sure about is not having a car to drive once on location. You can rent a car or pull a car behind the rv or have the wife drive the car as well. I am thinking of renting a seasonal camp site that I can leave the rv there and drive to it in my car when I want to camp. Or maybe I will buy a tow dolly. Anyway that's a little of my 2 cents. Feel free to email me with any questions. I have no regrets at all, you have made a good pick enjoy.

moose888
Explorer
Explorer
Wish you the best and enjoy. We went from a Coleman popup to a 35 foot Dynamax and I drove it home from Oregon to Maryland and never even gave it a second thought . We had a blast coming home and stopping in California . up the coast of Oregon ,Yellow Stone , devils tower , Mount Rushmore . I can't wait to do it again but with more time . You made a good choice now have fun.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Takes about 5 minutes to disconnect and drive away from RV park in a Class C for a jaunt into town, etc. When touring large cities, rent a car or take shuttle or city bus transportation, etc. A 32 footer is not as easy to park as a 22 footer but usually no trouble in large mall, restaurant and tourist attraction parking lots.

derosacamp
Explorer
Explorer
I went from towing a 19' hybrid to a 29' class C. Driving the class C is easier, albeit I am not towing a car. The real advantage is the reduce set up time with the class C.
Peter and Cindy
2006 Gulf Stream Ultra

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are three weeks into our first serious trip in our 24' Class C after four years with 22' TT. Our new C is much shorter than the OPs and we have no desire/need to tow. His new rig will take some getting used to, :Cwatch the driveways you choose to enter as the rear overhang can leave you stranded/hungup. Loading is important as well especially weight to the rear which can make the front end light and have serious adverse effect on steering.

We love the change and ours fits just about any parking lot(out away from the crowd). Like I said, no need for the load of a toad. This is the easiest RV we have ever encountered, down any road, into any site but still has all the bells and whistles and 10 mpg.
:C

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I also don't think there will be any issues with respect to driving the "C" versus towing a trailer.

My guess is the major issue is the one mentioned by tenbear, your travel options once you get set-up at the campground. If you're not towing a car then you'll either have to disconnect sewer, water, electric or find transportation if you want to travel. This was the main reason my wife decided against get a "C" and went with a TT. We like to enjoy the campground while still having the freedom to explore.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get too worried about driving a large vehicle. You are no longer or wider than the combined TV and trailer, and you have better control over the whole thing.

You might think about whether or not you should tow a car or not. A lot depends on what type of RVer you are. If you are a "camper" you may not need a car. If a "traveler", you may find the 32'+ length is not too convenient to park when sightseeing or to explore with. Time will tell.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

short_kid
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome, congrats on your purchase. We also looked the Sunseekers at Hershey and settled to trade our 29' Four winds on a Jayco 31'. Previous to our 29' we had a 30' fiver, and it wasn't much of a transition for me. Good Luck with the new one and enjoy many miles safely.
Roy