cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbe advice

deniseQ
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking at class C's, we have never done this before and really don't know what is important to look at. We are retiring next year and plan to go cross country and also use it for extended ( 2-3 week) trips. Our top price range is $50,000 out the door for new but would love to spend under $30,000 for used, if possible. From what I am reading most people are saying your first RV should be used.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. We live at the Jersey Shore.
8 REPLIES 8

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
There are some informative You Tube videos about choosing an RV and a number of others on using and maintaining them.

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
deniseQ

I like what toedtoes says and will add a little to it... don't buy an RV.

Not until you are sure you're going to use it and that you have the funds to spend on it. Buying used you are normally going to find you have repair or fix something... that can be expensive. Mine is only 8 years old and with less than 13,000 miles, I just replaced an AC and got the generator fixed and was over $800. A trip to a campground is going to average $60 a night and you are going to get about 8 MPG in a Motorhome so about $0.50 a mile. Also do you have a car that you can use as a TOAD or do you have to buy one of those also? or have you current one changed so you can tow it...about another $1800.

You said... "We are retiring next year and plan to go cross country and also use it for extended ( 2-3 week) trips." so not a steady thing. When you are not using in 2 or 3 times a year you have to park it or store it someplace is that going to add to the cost? Can you stay at motels cheaper in the long run. IF you can find a good one used for $50K and only use it over the next 10 years that is $5K+ yearly that you are spending... is it worth it? Can you use it more often fro other things than camping... Rent one first for a week and see how it goes before buying one.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
This forum is full of great advice to people considering buying a motorhome for the first time. If you have the Budget is often an important consideration. Toedtoes advice above is some of the best I've seen. Take the time to work back through the advice threads and "stickies" at the beginning. There are different types of motorhomes, i.e. Class A, B, and C. If you have looked at the three types and think you want a Class C, this is your forum. There are a number of current brands each of which offer different lengths, and floor plans and different prices based on gas vs diesel engines, luxury levels, etc.
There are a number of recently produced "rigs" that are available used but discontinued. There are high-end brands that are almost custom built with higher quality materials, they cost $10K+ more than other mass produced brands and have better resale value. Water damage due to leaks in roofs are a major problem with motorhomes. Some brands have less leak prone roof construction and materials. Tires older than 4 years old become unsafe and must be replaced
despite appearance and tread depth. Good brakes and cooling system must be maintained. These factors become important in buying a used rig. With a new rig, you and are protected by chassis, housebox and individual appliance and device warranties for a period of time. Extended warranties are not generally worth the extra cost because of loopholes and exclusions. Take your time deciding what you want, whether to buy new or used, length, floor plan, brands, features, etc. Don't give up and buy on impulse. Don't be overawed by RV size. You will find that a 27 footer is almost as easy to handle as a 24 footer. Rear bed rooms with RV queen beds are better for adult sleeping comfort than sleeping on convertible sofas, dinettes, or in the overhead. Slides are nice but add to overall weight and can have electrical/mechanical and leakage problems.

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
That's very exciting! Yes, I would buy used to start with, there are tons of great deals on craigslist. I personally wouldn't buy a rental rig as a first RV though but too each their own. Find a good used rig that you like and have it thoroughly inspected. Good luck with your search!!
2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent:(
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Have you traveled at all in an RV? If not, I strongly urge you to consider renting a Class C and taking a short trip to a local campground at first to learn how to operate the equipment and see if you like the lifestyle. If the first trip works out OK, take a much longer trip. After that, you may know if you like the vagabond way of life and are still willing to put out a lot of cash for your own rig.

If you know at now RVing is what you want to do, take some time to evaluate what chassis and floor plan works best for you. Take in some RV shows. The biggest in the country is in Hershey PA in mid-September, and it's not too far from you. They have many rigs of all classes on display. Examine floor plans and build quality. It can take several days.

You noted in your post that you are interested in traveling across the country and perhaps other long trips. You will need to plan to carry a fair amount of stuff with you. Therefore, you should consider a rig with a high OCCC rating. In Class C rigs in particular, it's not how much room you have as much as how much weight your rig can carry safely. This is very important to consider IMHO.
Things that decrease your OCCC are length of RV, and some options like slideouts and automatic levelers.

There are many opinions out there, and these are mine. BTW, we have traveled across the country twice, and up to Alaska once in our 27 foot, 2011 Class C. Best wishes for success in finding the rig that is just right for you.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Used vs. New:

Most people recommend going with a used first because it's less of an investment. That way, if you decide you don't like RVs, or your RV choice wasn't what you really want, you won't have put in a lot of money that gets lost in depreciation, etc.

But, that depends on how you purchase big ticket items. I am a long-time thinker, quick buyer. I spend months to years looking at options, debating, evaluating, etc. By the time I'm ready to purchase, I know exactly what I want and need. I consider longterm concerns (kids aging out of the house, etc.), so I plan for those in my choice. I also focus on MY needs first - I don't buy something that will fit best for a grandchild who will travel with me for 1 trip out of 20, etc.

Another thing to consider is how comfortable you are with handling RV system issues on your own (or paying for someone to do them). Can you do basic plumbing, electrical, woodworking? If so, then a used RV would be much less expensive as you can fix many things yourself. If you have never touched a screwdriver, have the maintenance man change your light bulbs, etc., then a new rig will provide a warranty for you to get most things fixed for you.

The other major factor between new and used is your personal finance situation and comfort zone.

First, you need to set aside monthly funds to USE the RV. This is to cover things like fuel, campground fees, meals, etc. - the stuff you need when you're out playing in your RV. This is regardless of what you buy. If the purchase price and/or repair needs take all your money, then you can't use the RV that you bought. How much you need for this depends on your personal preferences - RV parks vs. public campgrounds, long distance travel vs. local camping, and so on.

Once you have that estimated, you'll know better how to handle the rest.

Most people fall into five categories:

1. You're filthy rich and money is not an issue for anything (or you have a large amount saved and a lot of disposable cash each month). Do whatever you want in this case and enjoy! 🙂

2. You have a large amount saved with minimal or inconsistent disposable cash each month. Is it enough to pay cash for new AND pay for repairs when the warranty ends? If so, buying new may be the better choice. If you won't have enough saved for future repairs, then you're better off buying something used and using the difference into repairs as needed.

3. You have little savings but a large amount of disposable cash each month. This gives you more versatility. If you have enough monthly cash to make payments and repairs at the same time, then you could go either way. If not, then if you finance a new rig, you should try to keep the finance period less or equal to the warranty period - that way, when the warranty ends, you'll have the payment amount freed up to pay for repairs. If you buy used, then put the monthly payment savings away for repairs as needed.

4. You have a fair amount saved and a small but consistent amount of disposable cash each month. If you buy used within your saved amount range, then you set your disposable cash away for repairs. You may have to wait for a large repair while you put away for a few months, but you'll be able to plan things easily. (this is the path I took and it has worked out well).

5. You have little saved and little in disposable cash each month. In this case, unless you are really handy and enjoy fixing up an RV, a small basic pop-up trailer is your best best.

Looking at rvtrader, craigslist, etc. for your preferred style RV prices, new and used, will give you an idea of which category you fall into. Then you can make an informed decision for YOUR situation.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get decent used class C's in that general price range. Do reserve some budget for inspections and repairs and general maintenance before setting out on long trip(s).

One possible source, that isn't great for everyone but works very nicely for many, is an ex-rental RV from e.g. CruiseAmerica. They do a good job of checking them over and reconditioning them before selling them. Note that rental RVs tend to be strongly built but somewhat austerely furnished, as makes sense for hard use by inexperienced people.

Probably the most important consideration for any used RV is the condition and quality of maintenance that has been done by the previous owners. Water leaks, in particular, can sometimes cause serious and expensive structural damage without appearing to be too bad at an initial glance. Having someone experienced inspect things is a good idea if you're not sure of your ability to do so properly (and quite possibly even if you are). Also verifying the operation of all the systems and appliances is wise, and of course checking the chassis over mechanically.

I bought my class C from a private seller who advertised it on Craigslist. Not all posters on Craigslist are honest (but not all are out to scam you, either).

Before jumping in, I would strongly suggest making a trip with a rental RV. You may find that, in practice, it's not quite what you were thinking it would be, and save yourselves a lot of money and grief. You also will get a better idea of some things to look for or not look for in an RV, and what features might be important to you.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Off the top you will probably need to up the budget. I'd get the RV Consumer Groups ratings of Class C's to start; visit as many RV shows as possible, talk to Class C owners anyplace you can find them. Ask them what they DON'T like about theirs.
Someone will have an idea of where to check for used rigs.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)