cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newmar quality

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
Our search for out next RV has expanded to the smaller Class A gas models.....30-31'

We have seen Winnebago, Jayco and Forest River models because there are dealers nearby. I have read numerous forums, etc about these brands and think I have a good handle on their quality.

But, I just found a small dealer nearby that carries Newmar Bay Sta and Canyon Star. I know almost nothing about this brand. I have read that they are upper level quality, in line with Tiffin. Would you say they are above Winnebago? I would appreciate any input, experience, ownership thoughts. Thanks
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos
48 REPLIES 48

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
Well that great to know, thanks for that!! Had no idea what it was, but assumed it was similar to my old rubber roof on the class C.
2019.5 Lance 2375

Our camping photos

Bruce_Brown
We have a BriteTek roof, our 3rd Newmar with BriteTek.

When we ordered our current MH fiberglass was an option. Not once did we even consider it over BriteTek. That was 11 years ago and if we were buying again today we'd make the same decision. Ours today still looks like the day it was installed.

I'm a big fan of BriteTek.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
dmatt wrote:
One thing I have noticed in my research is that Newmar uses a Brite Tek roof on the smaller gas coaches instead of the one piece fiberglass. It is an option on the larger Canyon Star but the shortest one is 35'.

Anyone know of any issues with this type of roof? I assume a one piece fiberglass is preferable.
Everyone will have a different opinion on roofs but to me I would not let the roof be the determining factor on which MH to choose. Brite Tek is a thermoplastic roof that is very durable much more so than my old EPDM roof that is now 22 years old and still holding up well. To me CCC, storage, HP/wt ratio, FW capacity,number of roof A/C's and who makes the levelers and slides are more important.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
dmatt wrote:
One thing I have noticed in my research is that Newmar uses a Brite Tek roof on the smaller gas coaches instead of the one piece fiberglass. It is an option on the larger Canyon Star but the shortest one is 35'.

Anyone know of any issues with this type of roof? I assume a one piece fiberglass is preferable.

Note that BriteTek is different from a rubber roof. It is harder and sturdier. It won't chalk or streak down the sides of your RV like a rubber roof will. BriteTek has been used for many years. It will still tear if a tree branch runs across it. (A fiberglass can be damaged also) Although we never had a RV with it, we had a rubber roof and it was horrible for keeping black running down the sides. We kept it very clean but didn't help the streaking.

Fiberglass is super easy to care for. This was on our last motorhome.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
My research last year and conversations with Custom Mobile interiors in Ohio (I do work with them for my marketing bus) they told me that Newmar was the one to get. They were not wrong. This is from guys who tear apart new RVs to customize them, so I took their advice as solid.

So happy with the BayStar we have. the floorplan is amazing, it's living area is bigger than the one I had in my old Townhouse. Very happy with the quality, and I'm a tough customer. I'm an engineer by trade so I don't suffer excuses well.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer

2019.5 Lance 2375

Our camping photos

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
dmatt wrote:
Interesting, thanks. What is the advantages/disadvantages of hung walls?

No delamination

Here's a video on Newmar's walls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpxOdMmuerg

That's a great video, very informative. Thanks!!

It seems that only Newmar and Entegra still use this method. I'm sure cost and the longer build time have led to the change.
2019.5 Lance 2375

Our camping photos

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:

My ol Bounder has a wheel base to over hang ratio of 49% (190" wheel base 13' overhang).
It drives very well with only an addition of a front panhard bar.
That whole ratio thing is just more internet rhetoric.

Richard

Maybe if it had longer wheelbase it would drive better. I donโ€™t think a longer wheelbase could be bad.

In any event I think that long overhang looks like Hell.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Yes, Newmar is above Winnebago and all the others.

I agree that Newmar makes a nice coach, but when you say....above all the others....what exactly do you mean by that?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
cruz-in wrote:
"1st consideration is the wheelbase to length ratio. If it's less than 55% it won't handle well - period, and can't be made to."

Be careful of absolute statements like this....

We own a Monaco Vesta. It is a full air bagged, air braked, front engine diesel. it was designed and tested in a wind tunnel. It is an extremely good driving MH (read the reviews) and its ratio is 54%.

And I'm going to second cruz-in's statement.

My ol Bounder has a wheel base to over hang ratio of 49% (190" wheel base 13' overhang).
It drives very well with only an addition of a front panhard bar.
That whole ratio thing is just more internet rhetoric.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
dmatt wrote:

No delamination

Here's a video on Newmar's walls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpxOdMmuerg
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
2019.5 Lance 2375

Our camping photos

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Newmars gassers are nice but the Tiffin gassers have nicer cabinetryโ€”solid wood for all Tiffins and vinyl wrap on many Newmars. Newmar gassers often use scrap wall panel for drawer bottoms, Tiffin uses wood. Tiffins are often on a longer wheelbase and heavier chassis for a given length. Canyon Star is closest to Tiffin in quality of cabinets and in use of heavier chassisโ€”all Canyon Stars are on the 26K chassis. Only the Canyon Star has a flush stove cover. On the other hand Newmar has hung walls if you dig that and some have available double pane windowsโ€”all Tiffin gassers are single pane.

IMO Winnebago gassers donโ€™t come close to either Newmar or Tiffin when it comes to bones.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
fortytwo wrote:

The engineers and management at Winnebago mostly have zero experience as RV'ers. It shows!
You know it's strange you say that, because at the the 60th anniversary rally this year (yes 60 years - 52 building motorhomes) I was impressed to see that Winnebago puts all of the employees helping with the rally in motorhomes on the grounds for the duration of the rally and the preparation the week prior, and the owners have had their own campsite near the amusement park on the rally grounds for over 40 years where they park their motorhome. I had the electrical design engineer manager and an employee from the assembly line actually come in our coach for a soda to look at the upgrade I did on the surge suppression because I felt theirs was inadequate. They did this as part of an ongoing program they do to listen to real user issues with the products. Their goal was to hear back from at least 75% of the 900 units while at the rally. Not saying the Engineers and managers are all RVers, but they are certainly not ignorant to the concept ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. We will be checking out for plans extensively at the up coming RV show in October. I think we will focus mainly on these three companies and go from there.
2019.5 Lance 2375

Our camping photos