cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 12 Volt Power!

mnmustang65
Explorer
Explorer
We are new owners of a 2005 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40ft and we are hooked to shore power but we have no 12 v internally. Have 110 on all outlets, thinking the converter does not have power but cannot locate the converter to check. Have checked GFI's in bathroom and that is okay. Is there another GFI that we need to locate somewhere. Have searched the manual for clues and solutions with no luck. Anyone have any ideas for this? Thanks for your help in advance!
11 REPLIES 11

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
How many wires?
Some of the switches reverse the polarity going to the battery disconnect.
There could be six poles on the switch with four wires. The two wires on one end criss-cross to the two terminals on the opposite end. The two poles in the center goes to the battery disconnect relay.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
mnmustang65 wrote:
Where is the "Salesman's Switch" located. The one I worked on is on the dash right by the front door, called "battery cut off switch". Thinking that this may be the problem but need help reconnecting the wires to proper terminals. Thanks so much!

Battery cut off switch/Salesman switch are the same thing.

Mine merely interrupts the power wire only. So, you might have the on/off part reversed.

Try it in both positions. If one works you are good.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

mnmustang65
Explorer
Explorer
stew47 wrote:
when all is quiet in the coach can you hear the converter humming?

yes

mnmustang65
Explorer
Explorer
Corkey05 wrote:
Just inside the entry door is a 12v switch commonly called the "Salesman's Switch".

Its easy to bump and will switch off all 12v power to the coach except for 12v to the control boards of the refrigerator and AC's. See if you can restore power by resetting the switch.

Is that the battery disconnect switch? If so, it was broken and I removed and tried to fix it and am not positive that I have it wired correctly. I recently had surgery and the brain is not working on all cylinders yet. Should have taken a before photo and didn't (wrote down some instructions which, of course, don't make any sense after the fact), regretting that now. Where is the "Salesman's Switch" located. The one I worked on is on the dash right by the front door, called "battery cut off switch". Thinking that this may be the problem but need help reconnecting the wires to proper terminals. Thanks so much!

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another post running regarding the same topic. It ahs some helpful info regarding the "salesman switch". salesman switch bypass
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

mnmustang65
Explorer
Explorer
stew47 wrote:

Yes

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Salesman switch is the first check. Then check your basement plug for a GFCI....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Your rig may not have a converter but an inverter/ charger.
Look in compartment adjacent to where the shore power cord enters.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
How about battery disconnect switch?
Might be one by your entry door and near your battery compartment.
Converter by your battery compartment possibly.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Just inside the entry door is a 12v switch commonly called the "Salesman's Switch".

Its easy to bump and will switch off all 12v power to the coach except for 12v to the control boards of the refrigerator and AC's. See if you can restore power by resetting the switch.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

stew47
Explorer
Explorer