cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No power to ignition

thomasroughton
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2004 class a itasca All of a sudden motorhome engine and dash won't turn on
When the ignition key is turned to on position horn , radio, windshield wipers work.
We have checked all fuses and everything has power except half the fuses under the dash.
Most things I read said it has to be a fusable link but can't find any to replace
Please help seems like it should just be a simple switch ugggggggg
5 REPLIES 5

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
thomasroughton wrote:
We have a 2004 class a itasca All of a sudden motorhome engine and dash won't turn on
When the ignition key is turned to on position horn , radio, windshield wipers work.
We have checked all fuses and everything has power except half the fuses under the dash.
Most things I read said it has to be a fusable link but can't find any to replace
Please help seems like it should just be a simple switch ugggggggg

Sounds like an ignition sw and especially with chevy or workhorse and having a Saginaw steering column. If so, the sw. itself in mount on the column right side top and is actuated by a rod that is attached to the key tumbler.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

CG_Dawson
Explorer
Explorer
If we're talking Ford, there is a relay located in the right wheel well and attached to the radiator frame. This relay among other things distributes battery power directly to the ignition and dash. The contacts are most likely the culprit.
CAUTION, be sure to disconnect the battery prior to attempting to clean the contacts!
This exact problem cost me $500.00 to diagnose the problem and clean those contacts. No problem since though.
Happy RV'ing!!

Greg & Jackie
2003 Bounder, 32W / Ford V10 / 2 Slides
Toad: 2004 Saturn L300, Brake Buddy

Moved from Forum Technical Support

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
STRAT here ,clean the battery lugs , check battery water , and follow the blk cable to its ground ,remove clean to bare metal. that way you know its got a good 12v.while your doing this have the battery load tested ,any auto store free.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
On my F-53 there are fuses and circuit breakers in the front area of the coach. without more information it is hard to tell about yours. Most fusible links that I have seen are hard to tell between a normal wire and the fusible link.

I would get a volt meter and start troubleshooting starting at the battery and keep going until you lose voltage. The battery cables can also be the problem. The items that you listed don't draw a lot of current and will work with a loose cable, but the starter is a high amperage draw item and sometimes will not work with a loose cable. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH