cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-commercial Class B license

Colbie_s_family
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we purchased our first RV, I asked if a special license was required to drive RV's and was told no. Well that RV was 36' and that answer was correct. However, we upgraded to a Phaeton 40AH, which is listed on the specs as appx 41.5'. I now know after driving it last year for 5 months, that if it is indeed over 40', I now need a non-commercial Class B license. Ignorance was bliss!

I am now in the process of learning what I need to do to get this license. I've seen some older posts and it seems that experiences vary depending on where and when others have received theirs. Has anyone from southern CA recently applied for this license and taken the written and driving tests? If so, can you provide me with some feedback re: what I should be reviewing to prepare for both of these exams?

Also, between now and when I am able to get the license, does anyone know what happens if you are stopped and don't have it yet?

Thanks for any info.
25 REPLIES 25

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
FL also has no special requirements but that doesn't mean a dang thing for someone planning to register and RV in CA.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely no question, each state has its own laws.

As long as you are properly licensed in your home state, you are good throughout U.S, Mexico and Canada (and likely many other countries as well).

I know 2 months ago we rented a car in Chile for 3 weeks-- Texas drivers license was just fine for them.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Massachusetts gives RVer's a pass...

5. Recreational Vehicle Operators. Any vehicle operated solely as a personal or family conveyance for recreational purposes may be operated with a Class D License. To be exempt from CDL requirements, the vehicle must be used exclusively to transport family members or personal friends and/or their effects.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
doc brown wrote:
. Wait until you go to the DMV, even greater confusion.

I stopped by the DMV in South Hill, VA, inquiring about this. the clerk pulled out a pamphlet and showed me the page concerning this. had a bunch of silhouettes but I pointed out that none of them were a RV. about 4 inches down the page was the statement that RVs were exempt.
bumpy
CA compare to VA. Grapes compare to apples.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
doc brown wrote:
. Wait until you go to the DMV, even greater confusion.

I stopped by the DMV in South Hill, VA, inquiring about this. the clerk pulled out a pamphlet and showed me the page concerning this. had a bunch of silhouettes but I pointed out that none of them were a RV. about 4 inches down the page was the statement that RVs were exempt.
bumpy

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of like insurance. Don't need it until you DO.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Chance of being ticketed for not having a Class B, I would say zero unless you are involved in an accident. I’ve had a Class B for 11 years and I have a 40 footer. I don’t need it but I wanted it just because I was at the 40 foot barrier. Remember we are in California! By the way I’ve asked many a Highway Patrol officer about a Class B license requirement and they tell me to inquire at the DMV. Wait until you go to the DMV, even greater confusion.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
What John S says about taping vehicles in NC could be right but the law here for Motorhomes and trailers involved in Motor Sports is 90ft----Motor Vehicle law 20-116 (N)----not many going to be to long!

not knowing what state you are talking about, but it looks to me like it is a NASCAR exemption where they can have their big Class A with their racing trailer attached up to 90 ft total. limited to that situation.
bumpy

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
What John S says about taping vehicles in NC could be right but the law here for Motorhomes and trailers involved in Motor Sports is 90ft----Motor Vehicle law 20-116 (N)----not many going to be to long!

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck in your Class B quest. I finally got one in NC. DMV folks and Troopers really don't know much about how to do this or if it is required. I've driven a lot without one, including to the road test without a passenger with one. I was afraid of getting in even a no-fault accident without a Class B.

My DMV folks didn't know what to do until someone said it is like a firetruck which they do a lot of. The written wasn't too hard if you read the general sections of the CDL manual and take some on-line practice tests...probably two-thirds of the questions on my test were on the on-line tests...exact wording. The road test had all the employees wanting to do it to ride in a motorhome! We just went around the block like they do with cars. I showed them how to do the air brake test.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Motorhomes licensees are not regulated in NC by length. They are regulated by weight.

and if it is a DP,it exceeds that 26,000 lb. rating.
bumpy

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I dare you to get someone in writing in California to tell you how to measure my 40 foot motorhome. I spent so many hours getting it from "the expert". Was told I had to write someone in Sacramento. After discussing the issue of NOT having a bumper or anything like it they gave up. I had a few say they would just drop a plumb bob from each end. That is not the answer either.

I contacted Monaco and they gave me kind of a strange answer too. Something about measuring it before putting the fiberglass caps on each end.

Good luck measuring one after an accident.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 40' Dutch Star that I specifically bought because it's exactly 40' bumper to bumper. This topic comes up all the time and NO ONE knows the correct answer. DMV says one thing and 5 different CHP officers say something else.

Recently, there was a post discussing this and it was stated that they use the manufacturers determination of the coach. If they call it a 40' coach, that's what DMV and CHP accepts.

Now in California, safety equipment and things hanging off of the coach, like ladders do not count toward length, otherwise, every mirror on every coach would be illegal. The "safety equipment" includes bumpers. Again, what is a bumper on an RV.

It would be nice for California to give ONE definitive answer.

My local RV dealer has two employees working for him that both took the test a couple of months ago in Ventura County. They both said it was pretty easy, but I have no direct information. One of the issues is getting the coach there. You're not suppose to drive it until you take the driving test.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is from the California dmv website.

With a Basic Class C License:
a 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less.

With a noncommercial Class B License:
any vehicles under Class C.
any housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet, with endorsement.

To the OP.
Check out the dmv website. They detail exactly what is needed for your class b license. Written and driving test.