cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold 4 door refrigerator

dpruettsms
Explorer
Explorer
Typical "everything worked fine a month ago".
Prepping, ready to leave next Thursday. Cleaning and tried to turn on the refrigerator- nothing, no on the door panel lights, no interior light nothing.
The 12 volt is hot and I turned on the generator for shore power, still nothing. One of the recall fire plug in deals that was put on several years ago, the red light in the compartment is on.
I have propane.

All board connectors seem tight.

Any ideas, coach is a 2004 Monaco Knight, original refrigerator.
18 REPLIES 18

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The red light shuts off 12V power. The magnet will only reset REV E or later boxes. Sounds like the light came on when you were not using the refer, if so it's not a overheating problem and it's easy to bypass this POS band aid. NoCold will replace the POS recall box for free but probably not before Thursday.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSDP Don wrote:
"dpruettsms"......The black recall box is just a switch. When it was determined that the refers were catching fire, Norcold's fix was to add the black box.

On the back of your refer is a 12 volt wire that the coach builder installed to power your refer electronics. All the black box does is put a switch between the 12 volts and the refer. The switch contains a sensor that is attached to the chimney of the refer, If the sensor determines that the chimney is getting to hot (imminent refer failure/fire) it sends a signal to the switch to turn the 12 volt power off, turning the refer off.

Many of these black boxes failed when they were initially introduced. I think they're now on generation "G" or so of these. Getting them wet when washing the coach has caused them to fail and obviously, the refer going bad will cause them to turn off.

You can reset them by passing a large magnet against the black box. With that said, you need to make sure the box didn't trip because the refer was failing. In a worse case scenario and you're SURE the refer is working properly, you can temporarily bypass the black box by reconnecting the original coach wire back to the refer.

Also, Install an ARP

Terry
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

cobra350
Explorer
Explorer
Had the recall done on my perfectly working fridge recently. Went to turn it on for our first trip since having it done. Turn fridge on about 30 seconds later it turns off and flashes LIOP code and red light is on the box outside. On my way now to have them look at it. I cant believe the price of these units and they put a cheap fix on it. Unreal.
Rick & Darlene Carson
16 Berkshire XLT 43A
15 Ford Explorer (the toad)
14 Shelby GT500
02 Ford Ranger
08 Honda Goldwing

tstryk
Explorer
Explorer
PLEASE get someone to check out the fridge - bad things happen with these refrigerators.

2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PDQ
2014 Ford Fiesta frog
Tucker the schnauzer, Buddy and Cooper the labs

dpruettsms
Explorer
Explorer
Did the magnet process and it did not work.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"dpruettsms"......The black recall box is just a switch. When it was determined that the refers were catching fire, Norcold's fix was to add the black box.

On the back of your refer is a 12 volt wire that the coach builder installed to power your refer electronics. All the black box does is put a switch between the 12 volts and the refer. The switch contains a sensor that is attached to the chimney of the refer, If the sensor determines that the chimney is getting to hot (imminent refer failure/fire) it sends a signal to the switch to turn the 12 volt power off, turning the refer off.

Many of these black boxes failed when they were initially introduced. I think they're now on generation "G" or so of these. Getting them wet when washing the coach has caused them to fail and obviously, the refer going bad will cause them to turn off.

You can reset them by passing a large magnet against the black box. With that said, you need to make sure the box didn't trip because the refer was failing. In a worse case scenario and you're SURE the refer is working properly, you can temporarily bypass the black box by reconnecting the original coach wire back to the refer.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

rdmike
Explorer
Explorer
With the light on...hold the magnet over the read light until you hear a click. The light will go out. On mine, there are 2 12 volt lines. 1 in , one out. I unplug the out, hold the magnet over the red light, hear the click, turn off the fridge, place the out line back in, turn on fridge. Big rain storm came through and tripped the sensor.
Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA

dpruettsms
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you sir, well try it and let you know.

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I can't remember if the light goes off or stays on, but just pass the magnet across it a few times. The try turning the Frig on, if it reset, the frig will work. I've had to do this a couple of times. I now carry a magnet in the RV.
Brian

dpruettsms
Explorer
Explorer
So when it resets will the red light go out?????

How will I know, if it lights cleary I will know.

Just trying to be clear.

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
You need a strong magnet. Run it across the box a few times until it resets.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

dpruettsms
Explorer
Explorer
If it is the overheat black box how do I reset it?????

dpruettsms
Explorer
Explorer
Bully not sure what to do with the magnet????

The red light on the recall box is on.

dpruettsms
Explorer
Explorer
Checked the inverter, actually turned both switches off and on to see if they needed to load , both were OK.
I assume it has twelve volt due to the red light on the retro add on recall deal. All else in the interior works.
I checked the 110 panel all OK. Worried the unit may have died.