cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norcold refrigerator not working despite propane burning

ichudov
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 12 year old RV with a norcold refrigerator, serial CU1571912.

As it gave me the NO CO code in the past, I decided to give it one more go.

I have reset it via a jumper wire.

I made sure that the motorhome is dead level.

I powered it on. It does seem to "run". I switched it to Propane mode for simplicity.

I can see the propane flame burning nicely. I also can hear faint sounds of boiling or percolating inside.

However, after an hour of running, the aluminum heatsink inside the refrigerator has not changed its temperature. I measured it with a laser thermometer and it is not getting colder even by a degree.

I do not see any yellow residue inside the cooler cabinet.

Any idea what I can do at this point, will be enormously appreciated.
2003 Windsor Monaco 40PST Class A Motorhome
18 REPLIES 18

mydazeoff
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the video's at: http://rvrefrigeration.com they might be helpful.
mydazeoff
Annapolis, MD
Cedar Creek RLSA34, GMC3500HD Duramax

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
It took 7 hours for my freezer to get down to 40 degrees. The fridge was still warm. Next morning all was well.

Not_a_Yurt_
Explorer
Explorer
We have a similar problem with our Norcold. Works fine on A/C. Propane flame fires up and is nice and blue, but the refrigerator and freezer do not maintain the cold temperatures attained from A/C use. Ice and cold stuff is already in there, but no cold is happening from the propane option.

Anyone with comments from similar experiences and solutions are much appreciated. Especially solutions. And, no, please don't say, "Get a residential refrigerator." I am looking to the incredible number of experienced RV's out there to point out something that I may be missing. Your help is much appreciated!
Chris and Diana
Two cats
1998 Pace Arrow
2008 Honda CRV

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Wait 24 hours. It takes quite a while for those fins to even attempt to cool down.

If you're leaving on a trip and are in a hurry...fill the freezer with frozen foods. And Ice.

In the refer section, put in gallon jugs of frozen water. Don't put any warm foods inside, buy on the road after it cools down.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.