cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norcold won't work on LP for fridge but freezer OK!

goldenhawk9
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 Monaco Windsor with a Norcold Fridge that works fine on AC but only the freezer works on LP. The fridge does not work on LP. I removed the site cover and blew out the debris but still no function for the fridge on LP. Freezer gets down to 15 or below. Flame is blue and steady. Any thoughts??
18 REPLIES 18

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
goldenhawk9 wrote:
Gjac- My Norcold is a top vent which from what I understand, to clean the flue I have to remove the fridge to access the top of the burn chamber. I did blow air up into the chamber and tapped on it. Didn't see anything fall.
Did you tap on the steel pipe that the flame goes up? Or the galvanized steel wrap that goes around the steel pipe. To get to it you have to remove the sheet metal box around the burner, to reach the inside pipe I used a long steel bar and a hammer. Every year I see rust flakes fall down. I have the same top vent, you can look down with a flash light to see if there is any nests or webs that would block the flow. I tried to get to the baffle from the top but could not reach it because the flue has a return flange over the flue, so yes I think you will have to remove the refer to do it right.

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought, Check the stove and furnace for proper use. The same happened to me and My stove burners looked weak. Found out that my propane tank valve was just barely on. The person that filled my propane had left it that way.
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

goldenhawk9
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac- My Norcold is a top vent which from what I understand, to clean the flue I have to remove the fridge to access the top of the burn chamber. I did blow air up into the chamber and tapped on it. Didn't see anything fall.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Besides the rust flakes that fall down on the slots of the burner tube which you blew off there may be a build up of fine rust particles that fall into the slots and build up over time. That tube is 15 years old and if you have never cleaned it before it may be full of fine rust particles that block the flow of the propane. Try tapping on the flue tube and see what kind of rust falls down on the burner. It is easy to remove and clean/check. You can also look down the flue to see if there is any obstructions like a insect nests. Did you blow compressed air up the flue when you blew off the burner tube?

goldenhawk9
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You Old-Biscuit,the service manual will help. Thanks Doug for the trouble shooting directions. Since I have a top vent looks like I need to pull fridge out to clean all properly.
GJAC-I do hear a slight roar from the very blue flame. Burner tube is slightly rusted but slots appear clean and put out flame as suggested in service manual. I do hear a pop occasionally. Worked fine last time used at the end of last year.

goldenhawk9
Explorer
Explorer
Freezer on Ac does go down to zero and fridge below 35. No work recently done other than my quick blowout of lower chamber.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doug told you everything you need to know. He is the pro.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
goldenhawk9 wrote:
It's a Norcold Model 1200LRIM.

Service Manual------LP Gas System Pg. 24 thru 28 LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you hear a slight roar from the LP flame? Is it a steady blue? Is your burner tube rusted and the slots bigger than when new? Do you hear a slight backfiring sound on LP? When was the last time it cooled on propane? After doing a general clean up as others suggested I would look closely at the flame an burner tube.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
He states it works on 120 but not on LP. Why would anybody then state it is a failing or failed cooling unit??????????????????????? LP pressure and burner cleaning is FIRST on the checklist. Once the burner and LP pressure is correct (11.5 inches W/C). then possible flame baffle problem(long shot is the LP orifice). Now, on 120, the freezer should get below 10 degrees. The refer section below 38 degrees. I would verify this before going any further after the LP system is cleaned and checked. Has ANY work been done recently on the Norcold? Doug

goldenhawk9
Explorer
Explorer
It's a Norcold Model 1200LRIM.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
mccsix wrote:
That unfortunately is also the normal characteristic of a dying Norcold.

Not when it is cooling correctly on AC

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
That unfortunately is also the normal characteristic of a dying Norcold.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What Norcold Model is it?