cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now to Phili

ricardo
Explorer
Explorer
Really appreciated the help in getting to Williamsburg. You guys were right on. Now preparing to leave next week and head to Phili. Want to see historic Phili so need access train bus etc without driving in to town. Also need rv park in the area with decent power etc for big rig. Any thought on route and park would be really helpful. Looking at park reviews it looks a bit sketchy. Thanks as always.
Rick and Sandy
2010 American Tradition 45ft
425 Cummins
GMC Envoy
6 REPLIES 6

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
That's the place in Burlington,NJ...right off of 295 and near the bridges..best place for a stay around Phila.....as for getting there .. Williamsburg is about 1.5 hours away from the Bay Bridge tunnel...then up 13 with lights until MD , then a bit smoother, then some lights thru Delaware (don't get photo'ed!) then Route 1 right to Delaware Bridge right to 295 which will take you into Burlington NJ...Going from Williamsburg to Richmond then I 95 North>,,,forget it, then you have to detour 20 miles to 695 around the Balt Harbor tunnel...not to mention the Beltway which is a nightmare....
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Philly earlier this year. We stayed at Timberlane CG in New Jersey. Very nice CG with lots of room (and hookups) for big rigs and easy access off the highway.

We took the train into the city from the Woodcrest station - it was only 6 bucks round trip and it would be 5 bucks to drive over the bridge. They do have lots of parking in the city - there's a big lot right under the visitor area. We took the hop on hop off bus for a couple of days and walked all over the historic part all the way down to the art museum. Not at all scary. We were told not to be there at night though.

Edit... Here's a link to a similar thread where we talked about Philly. Maybe it will help...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about getting there? Drop back to Va Beach and take the US 13 Bridge-Tunnel up through MD and Del to I-95.....Miss DC and Baltimore traffic which is brutal...

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
With a 45' you definitely do NOT want the West Chester KOA with the narrow winding roads to get there. It's a nice place, but access roads are a bear.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Philly earlier this year. We stayed in West Chester, which was a little bit of a ride. Beautiful country near the camp site. Visited Valley Forge as well. I'm not sure if there are too many places closer. As posted, I don't think I would drive a rv into town. There is simply no place to park.

We went to the historic area and had no problems. It didn't seem dangerous at all. If you go, get a PHLASH pass. This bus pass allows you to get on and off all day for a few bucks and takes you to more places you can possibly see in a day.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I went to Phili on a business trip and was shocked to see the condition of the city were all our history is located. 😞

Most cab drivers won't even take you into town after dark. I wanted to see the tall ships that had pulled into harbor one evening and the cab driver said no.

I couldn't fathom going anywhere near there in an RV. Just saying. Ask around before heading out.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.