cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil Spots Removal

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
The front and driver's side of our coach is spattered with dirty oil spots. It washed off the painted areas, but the oil on the gel coat, fiberglass did not come off at all. I am concerned that if I try to remove it with the wrong stuff, I will make things worse. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
9 REPLIES 9

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
So far, nothing has worked. We are home for awhile and I am going to check with my service guy who does body work. Will let you know what I find out.
By the way - just a point of interest - the coach was professionally detailed, waxed and buffed just before we left and it still sheds water nicely. This stuff seems to have gone right through the wax.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had an injector line come loose and had diesel fuel all over the rear cap. I washed it with a strong solution of dish soap then went back over it with a magic eraser----got the spots AND the wax. Had to apply new wax.

RedG
Explorer
Explorer
Try a little WD-40. It should dissolve the oil and won't hurt your paint. Then just wash off the WD-40 with some Windex or something similar.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
How about something like a Black Streak and Bug remover (available at RV stores) or Bug and Tar remover (available at most auto parts stores)?
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
I use Lestoil for almost everything! I just used it yesterday in a steam cleaning machine for rugs. No suds and it removed all the stains. I use it on everything just in various diluted states. Try it.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not sure what you are describing. But it sounds to me that the oil soaked into the unpainted area because the surface is not protected with wax and maybe a little chalky. It wiped of the painted area because the paint did not allow the oil to penetrate into the gel coat underneath. If this is the case if a solvent like acetone does not remove the stain completely you may have to use a polishing type compound. After removing the stain I would give the entire MH a good cleaning(removing the oxidation) then a good waxing to seal the surface. Oil should not penetrate a properly waxed FG surface.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
I use a soft cloth & Gel-Gloss to remove spots from the gelcoat on our coach. Lowe's and or Home Depot carry it. It's also great for removing haze from headlight lenses.

Good luck with removing your oil spot...
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps try a small area with orange hand cleaner (not the one with abrasive). Its great for removing oil / grease stains.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I used to run a couple of HW stores and people would come in asking for "Lestoil". They would really talk this stuff up!
Supposedly it removes oil stains from anything including concrete and car paint. I have no experience with it myself but it sure has a devoted following.
You can get it at ACE HW stores and probably other places as well.