cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OK to run furnace while traveling?

dad2aprincess
Explorer
Explorer
Do you all run your gas furnace while traveling down the road? Is there any problem with doing so? The electric heat is loud and doesn't work very well when it is this cold.
2015 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38DBT
22 REPLIES 22

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
No! My Winnebago has a duct system to where the dash heater air is blown throughout the coach. It keeps my coach at 65* when it's very cold outside and I'm traveling. Winnebagos have one of the better heating systems in RV's. They make all there heating ducting systems at there factory.

The duct heater goes through out the whole coach? That would be some kind of a big dash heater to heat up the whole coach.

I know that the furnace is ducted on all coaches, and so are the heat pumps, but I had never heard of a dash heater directing its heat through out the coach.

Learn something everyday.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
No! My Winnebago has a duct system to where the dash heater air is blown throughout the coach. It keeps my coach at 65* when it's very cold outside and I'm traveling. Winnebagos have one of the better heating systems in RV's. They make all there heating ducting systems at there factory.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
dadtoprincess, If your coach is equipped with heat pumps, it should heat until the temperature gets to about thirty above zero. I use my heat pumps more then I use the furnace. Might check that out also with your dealer.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
My Winnebago funnels air from the heater core to the back of the coach. With that on and the dash heater we stayed warm in Northern NM in 20 degree weather last winter on 2 ski trips.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
dad2aprincess wrote:
We have found that our electric heat doesn't work below 50 degrees.

You guys that are saying OK to run your furnace but turn it off when you re-fuel - are you turning off the propane tank itself or just turning off the heat with the thermostat? (When we refill the propane tank, the attendant doesn't even turn off the propane before he fills it.)

As mentioned you can leave the propane on when refueling just make certain that the furnace, fridge and water heater are turned off. Should any of them decide it's time to fire up while refueling the spark of the ignition can ignite any gas fumes. Turning off the propane but leaving those things on won't do it. They may try to fire up because they don't know the propane supply has been cutoff.

When I have the propane tank filled they always close the tank valve before filling. Don't know if that's required but it sure sounds like a good idea. He has no idea if you have a major leak somewhere and propane will come spewing out. Close the valve, fill it and then it's your problem after you leave.

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
The interesting thing about this debate is that the appliances, heater, fridge, HWT, they don't know whether you're sitting still or moving. They are just designed to work when you turn them on. No problem running anything, moving or sitting.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
traveylin wrote:
I turn mine off. When passing 18 wheelers coming or going there is typically a pressure wave that in many cases is strong enough to move the rv. That pressure wave will blow out the cabin heater. Yes there are safety devices to prevent reignition but what if it fails to work. Too easy just to put on a jacket or sweater

Not an issue at all. Doesn't matter if it get's blown out, the gas valve will close as soon as it's out. It will automatically re ignite when it can. Perfectly safe, working exactly as designed.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I turn mine off. When passing 18 wheelers coming or going there is typically a pressure wave that in many cases is strong enough to move the rv. That pressure wave will blow out the cabin heater. Yes there are safety devices to prevent reignition but what if it fails to work. Too easy just to put on a jacket or sweater

dad2aprincess
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Eddie. That makes sense.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
dad2aprincess wrote:

You guys that are saying OK to run your furnace but turn it off when you re-fuel - are you turning off the propane tank itself or just turning off the heat with the thermostat? (When we refill the propane tank, the attendant doesn't even turn off the propane before he fills it.)
Just turn off the heater at the thermostat and the fridge. Your not worried about your propane blowing up, just the gas fumes from people fueling cars.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

dad2aprincess
Explorer
Explorer

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
No problem running the furnace under way "IF" you always remember to shut it down BEFORE entering a gas station. When that furnace (or your water heater), lights it is one very large flame.... can you say Wooomph?

:E

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes
2013 ACE 29.2

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
We ran our furnace from Denver to Sedona late last Dec. It was a colder trip than we normally have taken in Dec.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD